Skip to content

Marek and Lothander quest won't complete!

Hello,

I'm playing the Siege of Dragonspear version of this game, but I'm also just playing regular EE Baldur's Gate. I ended up killing one of the two guys, and I went back to Lothander for the cure, he gave me the bottles I think, and left but now I didn't get a 10,000xp for the quest completed, and it's still marked as active in my journal.

Comments

• PaulaMigratePaulaMigrate Member Posts: 1,201
    edited June 2017
    The cure you need is the one from Marek with the name *Marek's Potion of Antidote*. If you have *Lothander's Potion of Antidote*, this is just fake.
    You get the right one either by killing and looting Marek or by charming him to give it to you. Lothander just uses you to free him from his geas.
    Marek only has the potion however if you find him in the area that Lothander reveals to you after you did his quest.
  • Grond0Grond0 Member Posts: 7,305
    You need to get part of the antidote from Lothander and the other part from Marek. If you've picked up one, but not the other you won't have completed the quest.
    Grond0 said:

You need to get part of the antidote from Lothander and the other part from Marek. If you've picked up one, but not the other you won't have completed the quest.

I think this is not completely correct - you need Lothander to tell you where Marek is. L's potion is useless, M's provides the cure.
  • GallowglassGallowglass Member Posts: 3,356
    @PaulaMigrate - I believe you're correct.

@1130210 - IIRC, once that quest starts, it must be successfully completed (which it sounds as if you haven't done), else you'll automatically (and unstoppably) die ten days after going back to Lothander ... so I suspect that you're screwed. I recommend that you reload to a save before first meeting Marek & Lothander, and try again - this time, don't attack Marek until after you've met Lothander separately and completed his quest.
    If you find you are really screwed with this quest
    C:SetGlobal("PartyCured","GLOBAL",1)

otherwise your whole party dies as @Gallowglass points out.
  • 11302101130210 Member Posts: 381
    Yeah, I have Marek's potion, but I don't have Lothander's potion on me. I did drink all of Marek's potion, so everyone is healed. Eh, whatever.

Why doesn't the quest complete once the entire party is healed, odd choice?
  • NoonNoon Member Posts: 202
    Maybe because some players may swap npc during the quest, and the game won't be able to track who is healed inside and outside the party at the same time.
    edited June 2017
    Noon said:

Maybe because some players may swap npc during the quest, and the game won't be able to track who is healed inside and outside the party at the same time.

Yeah actually, I thought that was the cause exactly.

But what the heck?! I changed out Alora for Imoen, and now the quest is completely broken! I mean, c'mon, if this happens each time for that reason, it's got to be a problem that should at least be addressed in some form in the future.
    Maybe Alora has the second potion or something...
  • Grond0Grond0 Member Posts: 7,305
    In relation to reporting the quest as complete I suspect this requires you to have Lothander's potion. As @PaulaMigrate said, picking up Marek's potion will automatically heal you whether or not you have Lothander's, but I'm not sure that was the intention. The text refers to combining them and if you have Lothander's potion in your inventory when you pick up Marek's it will disappear (combined into the full antidote). That suggests that your journal will not report the quest as complete without Lothander's potion.
    ThacoBellGallowglass
  • tbone1tbone1 Member Posts: 1,985
    I just did this quest yesterday. Thinking of this thread, I made a note that yes, Marek,gives you a bottle with half the potion. Then, when you kill Lothander, picking up,his potion causes the two to combine into a potion that is the cure.
    ThacoBell
    @tbone1 - and does doing it that way yield the quest XP or cause the quest to close in the journal?

Either way, it's not quite the same as what @1130210 did, because he let Lothander leave after handing over his bottle.
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235

@tbone1 - and does doing it that way yield the quest XP or cause the quest to close in the journal?

Either way, it's not quite the same as what @1130210 did, because he let Lothander leave after handing over his bottle.

Um, doesn't Lothander attack you no matter what? I've never gotten him to just give up the potion without a fight.
    ThacoBell said:

Um, doesn't Lothander attack you no matter what?

No, after completing his quest he never attacks; he just runs away unless you block him in.
    ThacoBell said:

I've never gotten him to just give up the potion without a fight.

If you mean he refuses even after doing his quest, then I guess that must be some mod effect. To take his bottle without first doing his quest, yes, that requires a fight.
    I think I got the names backwards. I can never tell them apart like Carlos & Shank, or Vin Diesel and Tony Kanaan.
    ThacoBell
    tbone1 said:

I think I got the names backwards.

Ah, I see. In that case, you did it the normal way with the normal result.

tbone1 said:

I think I got the names backwards.

Ah, I see. In that case, you did it the normal way with the normal result.
    And some days, that's all I can do.
    Loldrup
    tbone1 said:

I think I got the names backwards. I can never tell them apart like Carlos & Shank, or Vin Diesel and Tony Kanaan.

Maybe I did as well, but whoever it is that drops the second part of the potion only does so after fighting you. THe one with the geas is the one who will give his half to you and leave.
    tbone1Gallowglass
    edited June 2017
    ThacoBell said:

tbone1 said:

Maybe I did as well, but whoever it is that drops the second part of the potion only does so after fighting you.
    This is Marek

THe one with the geas is the one who will give his half to you and leave.
    This is Lothander

Meanwhile my playthrough has reached the plot in BG1. It has an interesting new alternative that was not there in any previous install I had (ergo added by some newer mod). I have been able to reject involvement with those Iron Throne puppets and now go hunting for the ingedients of an antidote that Thalantyr has identified for me. It is a race against time (those ten days) but I love the alternative and not to be blackmailed by those bastards.

Grond0
  • BigfishBigfish Member Posts: 367
    ThacoBell said:

tbone1 said:

Maybe I did as well, but whoever it is that drops the second part of the potion only does so after fighting you. THe one with the geas is the one who will give his half to you and leave.

You can charm Marek and he'll give you the antidote without a fight. Not that you should because then you miss out on his Shortbow +2...

ThacoBell said:

tbone1 said:

Maybe I did as well, but whoever it is that drops the second part of the potion only does so after fighting you.
    This is Marek

This is Lothander

Meanwhile my playthrough has reached the plot in BG1. It has an interesting new alternative that was not there in any previous install I had (ergo added by some newer mod). I have been able to reject involvement with those Iron Throne puppets and now go hunting for the ingedients of an antidote that Thalantyr has identified for me. It is a race against time (those ten days) but I love the alternative and not to be blackmailed by those bastards.

But that poor man will be tied to his geas until it kills him now :(
    Loldrup
    ThacoBell said:

ThacoBell said:

tbone1 said:

This is Marek

This is Lothander

The *poor man* is a bandit in the service of the iron throne. Not even those trusted him without a geas. He poisoned six people to save his own hide. He betrays his companion Marek without hesitation.
    Anyhow, this is just presented as an additional option - my protagonist is no paladin, so she does not mind. Moral decisions are part of the game, aren't they. Them or us.
    Quartz

ThacoBell said:

ThacoBell said:

tbone1 said:

This is Marek

This is Lothander

The *poor man* is a bandit in the service of the iron throne. Not even those trusted him without a geas. He poisoned six people to save his own hide. He betrays his companion Marek without hesitation.
    Anyhow, this is just presented as an additional option - my protagonist is no paladin, so she does not mind. Moral decisions are part of the game, aren't they. Them or us.
    He is a bandit in service only BECAUSE of his geas. He goes out of his way and puts his own life in danger to warn said people, and the "companion" he betrays is only a companion because of duress. Don't forget that Marek is a willing accomplice in the Iron Thrones activities including your poisoning.
    Hey, guys, I'm back. I just decided to beat Baldur's Gate I and move on to Siege of Dragonspear.

Up to this point, I have no idea what was going on. I can only imagine I dropped a potion or something or did something out of order...

Perhaps maybe at one point in the future Beamdog can correct the order you do the quest or something...

I just wanna say ty for everyone's help.