Skip to content

Old All Things Mazzy Thread

BCaesarBCaesar Member Posts: 452
edited January 2019 in BGII:EE Mods
Ratatoskr is now doing the coding and posting of the mod. She got tired of waiting for me to have consistent free time (I have some penciled in for the year 2025 or '26) so she learned to code. I did manage to finally get enough time to finish out the section I had been coding (Clara) we merged the two versions and the current most recent product can and will be found here:

https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/71473/playable-clara-all-things-mazzy-version-1-037/p1?new=1
Post edited by BCaesar on
ThacoBellEekanImpBlackravenMantis37GrammarsaladFina92JuliusBorisovCaszidylolien

Comments

• BCaesarBCaesar Member Posts: 452
    edited April 2017
    This space for talking about what we know about Mazzy (and what we've assumed), and answering questions.

Family:
    Mazzy has a sister, Pala Fentan, who is a level 11 fighter and has a quest where she's poisoned. Her boyfriend is Danno Fairfoot, a caskmaker and also a level 12 fighter. Mazzy's mother is Vara Fentan, a level 12 conjurer (yes I realize halflings can't be mages, but she is. She has spells and everything). We have not found any mention of her father so we're assuming he's dead (which is what the Mazzy Friendship Mod assumes too so we match.)

Heights and Weights:
    We're assuming Mazzy is an average sized halfling female, which means she's 3 foot, 3 inches and around 61 pounds. For 2nd edition height and weight comparisons look here.

Past Friends/Relationships
    Mazzy also traveled with a party of halfling adventurers including Patrick who was her lover. They were all killed/transformed by the Shade Lord. When you fight the Shade Lord you also fight Shade Patrick. We're assuming he was a hafling, even though he had a halberd (Mazzy can use them too).

Also so I can easily keep these identical, a link to the thread in the spellhold forums.
    Post edited by BCaesar on
    Dharius
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    I have been wishing for a Mazzy romance for almost as long as I have played BG2 (a long time). I am hyped.
    Blackraven
    edited March 2017
    ThacoBell said:

I have been wishing for a Mazzy romance for almost as long as I have played BG2 (a long time). I am hyped.

Thanks. Don't be too hyped; it could suck. In the meantime we've slightly expanded the relationship between Mazzy and Korgan if you want to try that out.
    ThacoBellBlackraven
  • RatatoskrRatatoskr Member Posts: 711
    @BCaesar Hey now, it's not going to suck. I refuse to allow that. Though, it might not be to everyone's taste. I'm mostly posting here so I get notifications. (And as a reminder that it's Ratatoskr589. I can't get into Ratatoskr anymore because I typed my email wrong).
    ThacoBellBlackravenJuliusBorisov
    edited March 2017
    I modified the RestCheck coding for this mod so it can be (relatively) easily used by anyone else for their own mod. You can find that here: https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/63911/restcheck-version-1-00-coding-for-rest-scene-compatibility
    Updated to version 1.028. Added a conversation with Mazzy and Jan. Made a few other minor dialogue changes and corrected typos.
    ThacoBell
    Updated to 1.029. Added a stand-alone conversation between Mazzy and Korgan that triggers if you talk to any of the women commoners in the docks. Also as always futzed with the scripting and made some minor dialogue changes.
    ThacoBell
    Keep up the good work :)

@BCaesar Hey now, it's not going to suck. I refuse to allow that. Though, it might not be to everyone's taste. I'm mostly posting here so I get notifications. (And as a reminder that it's Ratatoskr589. I can't get into Ratatoskr anymore because I typed my email wrong).

You know, an admin could probably help you change your name back to Ratatoskr if you requested it of them since that account doesn't exist on these forums (since you accidentally destroyed it). They have magic powers.
    ThacoBell said:

Keep up the good work :)

Thanks! Will do. Our process is either of us write something and then we send the file back and forth changing it until both of us can't think of anything else to add, delete, or edit and then I code it (which usually causes me to get ideas and/or change things, and then she has her own edits of what I've changed and I keep updating the dialogue in the coding when we go).

I'm always the one holding up the process since I'm doing the coding, and I also still need to edit all the text from the Mazzy Friendship Mod into a readable word file (I decompiled it all already, but it's in code) so we can read that and make sure our friendship/romance stuff matches (and figure out what changes we need to make to that mod if both are installed). We've already got word files of all of Mazzy's banters and some of her in-game interjections so we can make sure our stuff is in character.

But I keep plugging away when I have free time. Ratatoskr knows me in real life so I can't just disappear.
    ThacoBellJuliusBorisov
    @BCaesar Yup, I know where you live ;) Although, considering that I haven't had the chance to play BG in ages (not counting testing), I'm not sure you're the one holding things up. I will finish my interjections eventually, I swear :)

And at this point, I'm okay with being Ratatoskr589. I use the same name in a few other places so it's not a huge deal.
    Updated to 1.031.

Added: Mazzy comments and reacts if she's in your party when you find Viconia at the stake. This will then lead to one branch of conversations (not coded yet). If Mazzy is not in your party when you rescue Viconia then you get the other branch. Both merge after a few talks.

- Mazzy now comments during Keldorn's quest with his wife.

- Mazzy now comments during Anomen's quest if he kills the woman, but only if one of the other NPC's doesn't comment.

- Mazzy now comments if you see the thug bullying the merchant by the City Gates.
  • megamike15megamike15 Member Posts: 2,666
    i may as well just put off using mazzy until this mod is finished it seems.
    I am actually waiting on finishing my trilogy run for this mod. I have a stupid backlog of games anyway :smiley:

i may as well just put off using mazzy until this mod is finished it seems.

ThacoBell said:

I am actually waiting on finishing my trilogy run for this mod. I have a stupid backlog of games anyway :smiley:

Hah. No pressure to write/edit/code faster or anything. Next up for me is coding the conversations we're busy editing (one with Keldorn, four with Edwin) along a few more general interjections, then some conversations, comments, etc. related to Mazzy not wanting to work with the thieves and wanting an alternate way to get to Spellhold (and while you could just install the Mod: Alternatives, we'll provide a different alternate, but simple way to get there as well). Then comes some friendship talks and modifying some from the Mazzy Friendship mod (which I have almost finished turning into a readable word document we can look over to make sure everything lines up.) Then my Viconia-Mazzy talks. Then we start the romance once all the other foundation is built.

And after the romance is done then we can go from there (various other ideas and parts of conversation ready to go, and adding full story/trigger compatibility with other mods like the other romances and the Romantic Encounters Mod). And all this stuff has to be written and edited a ton before we can include it in the mod without the writing being an embarrassment to us (and then we keep editing the writing for a while after as we test it).

So really, if you're waiting for the mod to be finished go find something else to do and come back in six months :smiley:
    ThacoBell
    Like I said, I have TONS to do, so really no pressure.
  • megamike15megamike15 Member Posts: 2,666
    i have backlog stuff a well. and other bg runs to do that don't have mazzy :P.
    ThacoBell said:

Like I said, I have TONS to do, so really no pressure.

i have backlog stuff a well. and other bg runs to do that don't have mazzy :P.

All good. And pressure is good. Far better than having people say, "We don't care when you finish the mod because we're not going to play it anyways."

The new content will go in first and once we run out of new content it will be considered done (and I'll say so in the thread title); your rest scenes might trigger at the same time as one in another mod, or Mazzy might ignore you sleeping with someone in another mod, but you can get over that.

After that point we'll still be editing it for compatibility with other mods, and of course as more people play it there will be suggestions, edits, bugs, etc. which will lead to additional changes, but that'll be more like patching a finished product.

And we better hit a finish at some point since we have another mod waiting that we want to get to (or really two mods that we'll probably merge into one.) Darkside Anomen which will include an Anomen friendship and a way to keep him in your party if you take him down the evil path twice. And if you don't want to make him evil you still get the friendship which is the romance minus the romance (similar to the Viconia friendship mod)
    After he kills the woman and fails his test in the romance he finds out that the family he wiped out was innocent of killing his sister and he goes back to kill his father. As it stands now you can talk him out of that and redeem him some in ToB or he kills his father and leaves forever. Our major change is you help him kill his father, cover it up and so he becomes lord, which turns him Neutral Evil (We'd turn him lawful evil, but there's too many existing triggers for Anomen that check if he's Lawful or Chaotic so best to make the 3rd option Neutral).

And then we have the Evil Party Member Expansion Pack (EPMEP) which just includes various dialogues and quests involving Viconia, Edwin, Korgan, Hexxat, Dorn, Sarevok, and Evil Anomen (mostly because we have various conversations written for a bunch of them already and it seemed easiest just to make that into one mod, since all of our written conversations not involving Mazzy involved one of the evil NPC's). If I can figure out the coding I'll allow you to make evil druids and include a quest (for anyone) where you can help Faldorn wipe out Trademeet, just because I've always wanted that to be an option (and then she leaves and you can have the grove if you're a druid).
    ThacoBellEekanImpJuliusBorisov
    "All good. And pressure is good. Far better than having people say, "We don't care when you finish the mod because we're not going to play it anyways.""

Oh no worries, I will definitely play it and being patient is difficult. I just don't want to push too hard and kill the enthusiasm. Too many good mods die young because the creators lost that drive.
    JuliusBorisov
    Ok update to 1.032

No new conversations/interjections coded, but lots of small edits to scripts and dialogue, and most importantly my rest scenes now yield to those from three more mods: Edwin Romance, De'Arnise Romance, and the Keldorn Romance.
    ThacoBell
    edited April 2017
    @ThacoBell Well, we definitely have grand plans - and hopefully we'll get there. Unfinished things are a giant pet peeve of mine, so while I can't guarantee we'll manage everything (or quickly), we'll do our best.

That's actually one of the reasons we've started posting already. That way if something does happen, at least there's part of a mod that's installable, rather than only our plans and nothing coded.
    ThacoBell
    Although, I am hoping this takes less than 6 months :)
    ThacoBell
    Updated to 1.034 (1.033 happened internally between myself and Ratatoskr but I never uploaded it). As always I changed some scripting and dialogues (editing dialogue files is a continuous process that we do back and forth until we're both satisfied, even after they're coded).

New things:

- Mazzy now comments if Mae'Var asks you to steal the necklace from Talos.

- Both Mistress Ada (of Talos) and Dawnmaster Kreel (of Lathander) figure out eventually that you stole from them. Kreel is nicer about it than Ada. You have the option of getting the items back from the thieves once that quest is finished and giving them back to the temples. This happens whether or not Mazzy is with you (though I'm going to add some comments if she is. I haven't done those yet.)

I tried my best to make all of this fully compatible with the Alternatives Mod (which should mean it's compatible with this part of the Adjantis mod too if the coding is the same, though I haven't checked yet). So if you get the fake items the temples are fine with you, and if you steal the items then you can't talk to the priests about the options given in the Alternatives Mod even if you drop the items later (that was a loophole in that mod, so I added something in this mod which fixes that). And the thieves only have the items if you give them the real ones (I didn't bother making them keep the fake ones if you're using the other mod since you have no use for them). Tested everything multiple times and it all seems to work though of course let me know if it doesn't.
    ThacoBellFina92JuliusBorisov
    How goes things?
    edited May 2017
    ThacoBell said:

How goes things?

Good. Lots of stuff re-written and scripts updated. Finished Mazzy's stuff with Mae'Var and also everything involving her and Edwin (she objects to his quest, they work it out, and then they have four conversations that start after one of their in-game banters triggers.

I'm currently working on finishing a working Clara NPC (since Mazzy, Valygar, and Keldorn will all try to kill vampire Hexxat if they see her eat human Hexxat/Clara and then you can raise Clara and have her join your party if you want.) She should be done soon and then I'll post an update.
    ThacoBellFina92JuliusBorisov
    Awesome!
    JuliusBorisov
    I'm curious, what was the basis for determining that Mazzy's party were all halflings? Especially since the Shade Lord was using Patrick's body, that at the very least, Patrick was either human/elf/half-elf.
  •  TheArtisan TheArtisan Member Posts: 3,277
    ThacoBell said:

I'm curious, what was the basis for determining that Mazzy's party were all halflings? Especially since the Shade Lord was using Patrick's body, that at the very least, Patrick was either human/elf/half-elf.

The Shade Lord was using Merella's body, not Patrick's.
    ThacoBell

ThacoBell said:

Ah, thats right.
  • SomeSortSomeSort Member Posts: 859

ThacoBell said:

But we saw Shade Patrick, and he looked human-sized. Also, when you first arrive in the forest there's a Shadow Thief who randomly dies and drops a journal indicating he'd been part of Mazzy's party, and he had a human paperdoll IIRC.

(Though that whole thing is a major WTF moment. Why is there a Shadow Thief that far outside the city? Why is he traveling with Mazzy? How did he get so far away from the dungeon? Why is he dying for no apparent reason the second I reach the map?)
    ThacoBellLoldrup
    I'm going with the theory that the shadow thief stole that journal from one of Mazzy's party - though I admit that doesn't explain what the heck he's doing there. Maybe he got really, really lost.

Also, this mod isn't dead. @BCaesar should be done moving soon and hopefully we'll be able to get back to coding after that.
    ThacoBell
This discussion has been closed.