Skip to content

Any point to keeping CN Anomen?

I made Anomen fail his test just to see what would happen, as I have completed the game with him as Sir Anomen before. I was hoping he'd become an embittered loose cannon, maybe get a new sound set, but so far his interjections seem the same as he was before he took the test.

Is there any new content (dialogues etc.) I can expect from taking failed knight Ano along?
OrlonKronsteen

Comments

• CamDawgCamDawg Member, Developer Posts: 3,438
    OP's topic has two too many letters. :)
    Gusindadustbubsytbone1OrlonKronsteen
  •  TheArtisan TheArtisan Member Posts: 3,277
    CamDawg said:

OP's topic has two too many letters. :)

You're right. The "to" is a glaring grammatical error :wink:

Seriously though, Anomen gets way more hate than he deserves and certain characters get less...

That said, I'm not a fan of CN Anomen.
    tbone1Quartz
  • CamDawgCamDawg Member, Developer Posts: 3,438
    Couldn't resist, it's low-hanging fruit.

The hate I see for Anomen is generally for his personality, which is a sign that he's well-written. Anomen's inclusion adds more to the game than less well-written characters that evoke apathy, like what's-his-name in Trademeet.
    RavenslightQuartzBalrog99
  • NuinNuin Member Posts: 451
    edited June 2017
    It's not just personality, it's the fact that he starts off a complete douchebag (so much that Jan would rather socialize with someone like Korgan over him) and just magically becomes a "good" person after doing a few quests. His ToB interjections are obviously an attempt to fix this.

Cernd is a different case. The thing about Cernd, if you bother to get to know him, is that he starts out pretty strong until you reach the point where you realize just how much of hypocrite he is. He's not like NPCs like Korgan or Nalia who grow on you eventually, or even NPCs like Jan or Haer Dalis who are an acquired taste.

CN Anomen is volatile. He will lose his temper on Aerie and will try to kill her if you let things escalate, and he will try to bully and vent his bitterness/frustration on the people around him. Curiously, he gets a bit better in ToB. He's still a loose cannon, and may ultimately regress to his old ways, but that busted ego seems to be having a positive effect on him. This makes certain specific scenarios (like a romance) all the more meaningful.
    lolienrecklessheartThacoBell
  • ZaghoulZaghoul Member, Moderator Posts: 3,938
    edited June 2017
    I just like turnin the guy CN, more freedom, and you know that's some real influence CHARNAME has. We don't get that many chances to do that in the game. Oh sure, we could move Viccy or Big S in the 'upwardly direction' but there is never any chance to move the goodies in a downward fashion. B)

EDIT: Oh, and to the main topic, he ain't too bad a combo of classes to use for an NPC, just to be fair.
    tbone1
  • fatelessfateless Member Posts: 330
    His Personality in some ways is more interesting in CN but his stats and such are better if you turn him Good and have him pass the test. It's a trade off sadly.
  • StummvonBordwehrStummvonBordwehr Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 1,342
    Doesnt LG Anomen get a boost to wisdom when he passes the test? Thats why I allways make him pass the test - and he is such a happy camper afterwards...
  • fatelessfateless Member Posts: 330
    He does. +3 wisdom for passing.
    OrlonKronsteen
  • tbone1tbone1 Member Posts: 1,985
    As pompous a nit as Anomen is, and he is, his sister's death does hit him as a shock and there is a change to him. And that fighter->cleric dual is a pretty good combo with some nice synergies.
    Zaghoul
  • SomeSortSomeSort Member Posts: 859
    edited June 2017
    CamDawg said:

The hate I see for Anomen is generally for his personality, which is a sign that he's well-written.

Hating a character's personality isn't evidence that the character was well-written, even if the developers *aimed* for him or her to be hated. Characters who are intended to be annoying can be poorly written, and a poorly-written meant-to-be-annoying character doesn't magically wrap back around to enjoyable. The end result is still an annoying character.
    OrlonKronsteen
  • dustbubsydustbubsy Member Posts: 249
    Thanks for the insights guys. I think I will keep him around a while longer.
    JuliusBorisovStummvonBordwehrRavenslightBlackraven
  • QuartzQuartz Member Posts: 3,853
    CamDawg said:

The hate I see for Anomen is generally for his personality, which is a sign that he's well-written. Anomen's inclusion adds more to the game than less well-written characters that evoke apathy, like what's-his-name in Trademeet.

At first I thought you meant Rasaad, then I realized you were talking about Cernd.

Though both characters evoke apathy for me.
    OrlonKronsteen