Skip to content

We want BG3.

2»

Comments

• PaulaMigratePaulaMigrate Member Posts: 1,201
    edited June 2017

When i was thinking about BG3 i never imagined some new protagonist, rather your strugle as god in planes
    your potentially fights with cyric and others gods that not akcepted your godhood. You are new god with many enemies and few? allies without any worshipers or with one Viconia ;)

The EET mod and the *Return to Faerun* extension for it covers similar ground.
    Your elevation to a deity makes you a lot of new enemies (Cyric included). Since a clash of gods would be too dangerous for the multiverse, the Overlord restricts the opponents like in Time of Troubles to the Primary Plane and their mortal avatars. This way the whole plot uses the whole of the BG1 to ToB maps plus many more new ones and also uses a large cast of old companions and new ones. This trick also avoids the game to go to fantastic overblown levels and powers but to stay on a power level of early ToB. Most companions you can recruit are at SoA level, so you get interesting mixtures. Your opponents rarely appear in person but rather their followers.

At this time only the ToB choice to accept godhood is covered - staying mortal ends the game as usual. There is no reason why a second mod could not cover that story with a different plot.

Not sure whether I already said it, but I think that this BG3 aspect is really something for modders to try out. The EET version of the game appears to be the ideal platform for it since you have seamless access to the whole trilogy of BG in one game with one large worldmap. A quite large playground.

Beamdog will have a hard time satisfying expectations about a sequel, this is a concern a modder does not have.
  • tbone1tbone1 Member Posts: 1,985
    Do mule mods dream of electric sheep?
  • ArunsunArunsun Member Posts: 1,592

When i was thinking about BG3 i never imagined some new protagonist, rather your strugle as god in planes
    your potentially fights with cyric and others gods that not akcepted your godhood. You are new god with many enemies and few? allies without any worshipers or with one Viconia ;)

Your elevation to a deity makes you a lot of new enemies (Cyric included). Since a clash of gods would be too dangerous for the multiverse, the Overlord restricts the opponents like in Time of Troubles to the Primary Plane and their mortal avatars. This way the whole plot uses the whole of the BG1 to ToB maps plus many more new ones and also uses a large cast of old companions and new ones. This trick also avoids the game to go to fantastic overblown levels and powers but to stay on a power level of early ToB. Most companions you can recruit are at SoA level, so you get interesting mixtures. Your opponents rarely appear in person but rather their followers.

At this time only the ToB choice to accept godhood is covered - staying mortal ends the game as usual. There is no reason why a second mod could not cover that story with a different plot.

Not sure whether I already said it, but I think that this BG3 aspect is really something for modders to try out. The EET version of the game appears to be the ideal platform for it since you have seamless access to the whole trilogy of BG in one game with one large worldmap. A quite large playground.

Beamdog will have a hard time satisfying expectations about a sequel, this is a concern a modder does not have.
    Hey, never heard of this return to Faerun mod before you mentioned it, but it sounds awesome... Any link to download it, pretty please?
  • PaulaMigratePaulaMigrate Member Posts: 1,201
    edited June 2017
    Arunsun said:

Hey, never heard of this return to Faerun mod before you mentioned it, but it sounds awesome... Any link to download it, pretty please?
    All mods I referenced in my various posts here can be found
    http://gibberlings3.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=27741&hl=

My apologies, I see that I did not mention that *Return to Faerun* is part 2 of the Sandrah Saga and *Time of Troubles Revisited* is part 3 of that mod, while part 1 introduces the beginning of the story into the original Trilogy + SoD.
  • ArcanisArcanis Member Posts: 377
    Every new D&D game must fit into the current canon.
    Which means that the "Hero of Baldurs Gate" helped Viekang (or however his name is spelled) escape Saaradush and refused godhood.
    It is also canon that V. attacked the Hero and one of them died, thus triggering Bhaals return.

Actually thinking of this, the fact that WotC used the introduction mod to D&DNext as a continuation for BG2 and also found a way to bring Minsc into the current time hints towards BG3.

A BG3 that is set around Baldurs Gate, most probably 1st level characters, cameo from Coran, Minsc may be a mentor or teammember and the story has something to do with the cult of Bhaal.
    The new MC my have some conection to the Hero. This could be done with a couple of questions, so that everyone could get a Bhaalspawn that was closer to what they had in BG1&2..