Skip to content

Weidu won't compile anything

Wizer13Wizer13 Member Posts: 65
I'm new at modding. I don't even consider myself a beginner. Here's the problem:

I created an npc which i want to appear at the copper coronet in BG2. I managed to put the .cre in the override and change the script in the .are. so he may be created. So far so good.
Then i want to compile my .d text using Weidu. I followed the tutorial made by Alkarops, but each time i try my setup.exe weidu don't copy my files in the override, and its not because i didn't place my npc folder at the right spot. Hell, i even copied the text in his tutorial and tried just to implement his npc, just to see if i made mistakes in my coding, but to no avail. Weidu doesn't seem to detect my files.

I thought it was my version of weidu, so I downloaded the latest version, 239. No dice there.

I even tried to change my path and using a command prompt as suggested by Japheth but it says C:(Program) unknown. Any command i tried in weidu alone just give me a serie of codes as I press Enter.

I wonder if there's a problem with modding with a steam related game, or something like this. If you have a template of a .tp2 for implementing an npc that works i would be really grateful, or a solution to this mess. I really don't know what to try at this point.

Thanks for your time.

Comments

• PaulaMigratePaulaMigrate Member Posts: 1,201
    edited June 2017
    Latest version of Weidu is 2.40 http://weidu.org/~thebigg/weidu.exe even if that is not the problem here. Configuration

Make sure that
    - you have a folder mymodwhatever in the BG2EE directory and in there are your files (you may have sub-folders there for better structure as well)
    - you have mymodwhatever.tp2 in that folder and it correctly points to the files in your folder
    - you have made a copy of weidu.exe and this copy is named setup-mymodwhatever.exe and this exe is in the main BG2EE folder, i.e. at the same hierachy level as your game folder
    - you start the install by running the setup-mymodwhatever.exe
  • Wizer13Wizer13 Member Posts: 65
    Thanks for the reply.

I've tried this many times, even reverified my folders, the paths in my .tp2 and the links between the files.
    It always tells me (not found) for whatever file I put in the NPC folder. I made a simple tp2 file just to copy my .cre in the override ans it tells me the same thing.
    I've tried a command prompt to redirect cd weidu pathtofile/myfile -- to compile my dialogs, my pc won't reconize weidu as an external or internal application. So i'm wondering why even the command won't correctly execute. I used this tutorial by Japheth

http://forums.pocketplane.net/index.php?topic=55.0

And this line in command prompt

weidu pathtofile/filename.d --tlkout dialog.tlk -- out override

If weidu wont work, can i just make a copy of an existing script or dialog and edit it in Near Infinity or DLTCEP? Thanks for your time, greatly appreciated. ;)
    edited June 2017
    What system/OS are you working on?
    Are you able to install any other mods?
    Did you install the game on something like Program Files or Program Files (x86) with UAC protection?
    Post edited by PaulaMigrate on
    I use windows 10. I had no problems installing mods before ( although it was with older versions of the games from GOG).
    The directory is in (x86). Steam installed it there. If i change the path of installation it might work?
    edited June 2017
    Wizer13 said:

I use windows 10. I had no problems installing mods before ( although it was with older versions of the games from GOG).
    The directory is in (x86). Steam installed it there. If i change the path of installation it might work?

I cannot guarantee it, it depends on the general setup of your PC etc. But for modding, i.e. making changes to an install, the Program Files or Program Files (x86) in windows 10 always cause issues. You should put things into a part where you have full user access. (e.g. Weidu is an exe file and it attempts to make changes to files, something windows does not like in program.)

Understand you work on BG2EE, right? Not a steam/gog BGEE which needs modmerge to mod.

The fastest way to check it is try to install some other mod for test.
    If Steam or Gog need modmerge than that might explain the problem. I'll try that. Thank you!
    Wizer13 said:

If Steam or Gog need modmerge than that might explain the problem. I'll try that. Thank you!

modmerge is only needed on BGEE (due to the packaging of SoD files) not for BG2EE.
    Alright. I've tried another version of BG2EE from GOG (it was 6,99, so why not). It is installed outside the (x86). I had no problem installing another mod, but i still get the same error message, it doesn't find my files. So the error must be my coding.

I'll begin anew, then try again.

I've tried it again, but same results. My directory is in C:\GOG Games\Baldurs Gate II - Enhanced Edition (No Program or x86). I've retried the command prompt, says the same thing FATAL ERROR, file not found.

I've attach my folder with my NPC. I hate to ask someone else to check it for me, but I'm out of solutions within my own capacities. If you don't have the time, I'll understand. I'll try to find another solution for now to edit dialogs with DLTCEP or Near Infinity.
    edited June 2017
    1. The setup.exe was inside the mod folder. It needs to be outside in the main BG directory and the same hierachy level as the mod folder itself
    2. The dialogue .d file has extension .d.txt (maybe you have view not to show known extensions in your folders?)
    3. The rest cannot be verified yet as the files are work-in-progress and yet unfinished. The CCalaun.baf file tp2 tries to compile does not yet exist.
    4. You should update the weidu to current version 2.40 (you have 2,39) for full support of the latest EE version
    5. The backup folder (first line of the tp2) points to some other directory while it should be a subfolder of your mod folder, it does not need to exist in your folder, it will be created on install. Currently you put your backup into Theal (guess you copied from that mod?).
    Concerning my point 4. above:
    Since your setup was autoupdated by my install anyway, here is the file as Weidu 2.40
    Paula you're a lifesaver! I had progress at last. Still some issues but the setup is trying to compile! Thank you greatly for your patience!
    Yes, but those issues are file contents, like the d-file is just draft and needs clean-up (missing states and state transitions) and the baf file is just a placeholder in tp2 etc.
    Yes but now i know i will be able to progress and learn instead of being stuck. Thank you again