Skip to content

[v2.21] Shadow Magic

Comments

•  TheArtisan TheArtisan Member Posts: 3,277
    Fixed a bugged script.
    Updated again.
    • Possess: controlled creature auto-casts End Possession on self upon death.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Grammarsalad
  • AWizardDidItAWizardDidIt Member Posts: 197
    Very cool class idea. I'll be keeping an eye on this one :)
    Working on implementing more use of different stats for the next release. Currently, what I have in mind is to give the three mental stats, INT, WIS and CHA, bonuses in different aspects.

Intelligence - capacity for knowledge - extra spell slots (+1 bonus spell slot will be removed to compensate)
    Wisdom - willpower, control over the Shadow Weave - increased caster level and duration
    Charisma - presence and bargaining - ability to learn more spells
  • ZaghoulZaghoul Member, Moderator Posts: 3,938
    Hmm, big changes going on. I will need to adjust stats a little I think now.

I am thinking the class could use a familiar of sorts. Maybe a shadow mephit, or something special like a homonculous. As Shar's homebase is a combo of shadow plane and negative energy plane it could have some different abilities, be developed from a combo of the castor's blood (as usual for the creature), a few of the caster's shadow specific spells, and use the mephit animation.
    edited June 2017
    @Zaghoul

Creating custom familiars is a suffering of the flesh in my experience but I'll see what I can do.

A fairly large update is coming within the hour. Running into a major issue, don't have the time to fix it right now unfortunately.
    Post edited by TheArtisan on
    Zaghoul
    edited June 2017
    Updated to v0.6:

Kit changes:
    • Reworked the spell selection system - relearning lost spells is now possible (though you do not gain your 'points' back), dialogue is now centered on the character instead of an invisible creature. This should hopefully also help multiple/NPC shadow adepts work better.
    • Altered kit bonuses significantly - the shadow adept now gains bonuses to saving throws vs. enchantment, illusion and necromancy, but suffers penalties vs. evocation and transmutation. Added immunity to blindness
    • Removed constitution requirement for dual-classing
    • Charisma now allows the shadow adept to learn more spells
    Spell changes:
    • Bittercold Touch improved - 5% level drain chance removed, attacks now 'chill' targets (-2 to AC and THAC0, halved movement rate). Against undead or constructs, no cold damage or 'chill' effect, deals 1d10 magic damage instead
    • Shadow Blade changed from altered Phantom Blade into a unique weapon which improves with caster level
    • Added one new HLA - Arcane Lore. The shadow adept learns one more spell of each level.
    • Darkbolt reworked - 50% healing on kill changed to +50% maximum hit points, no longer instantly kills. Failed save vs. death cuts maximum hit points in half for 1 turn. Reduces magic resistance to zero instead of lowering attributes. Ignores magic resistance.
    • Summon Shadow - shadows no longer have ridiculously overpowered mage spellbooks, instead may cast a limited variety of shadow magic.
    • Shadow's Refuge recovers two spells of each level instead of one
    • Shadow Missile now decreases THAC0 by 1 per missile
    • Fixed a few visual effects
    ZaghoulNoobacca
    Fixed a couple of somewhat minor bugs:
    • Arcane Lore is applied automatically as intended instead of added to spellbook
    • Shadow Fiend weapon was in the wrong slot, fixed
    • Cheat for Learn All Spells can be used by spawning an item ("c0sabook")
    Probably for the best with the summoned shadows, lawd, those things were HEAVY DUTY. Regardless it was a new take on the shadows, being able to cast spells, but I can see it as we are playing with the Shadow Weave. All I remember about the oldest versions of shadows were that they drained strength and HP's, and when either reached zero, they became shadows as well. B)
    V0.6.1 won't install. Attached is the debug file.
    Argh. My mistake. One of the items I took out somehow ended up back inside of the .tp2. Try the new upload.
    Strange this. WinZip cannot open the file. Says it's not a valid archive.
    @Zaghoul Try again now
    That did it, thanks. Shadows look more balanced now, with the new spells given them. B)
    edited June 2017
    Small update, mostly changed a few visuals and fixed a couple of bugged spells. Only one spell was changed significantly:
    • Enervation: Instead of draining 4 levels instantaneously, drains up to 8 levels over 4 rounds (save vs. death at -4 each round to avoid, no save for first instance). Caster regains spells for every successful instance of level drain.
  • Necromanx2Necromanx2 Member Posts: 1,246
    edited June 2017
    Just loaded this on BGEE and find that the class description and class name in game is Conjurer. I am getting the SA spells and abilities, just have the descriptions off.

Edit: The mage class shows the Shadow Adept as a kit, but once you select it and go in game it all says Conjurer.
    Strange that, @Necromanx2 , mine is showing up as it should.
    edited June 2017
    Here is my WeiDU log

// Log of Currently Installed WeiDU Mods
    // The top of the file is the 'oldest' mod
    // ~TP2_File~ #language_number #component_number // [Subcomponent Name -> ] Component Name [ : Version]
    ~SETUP-TENYATHERMIDOR.TP2~ #0 #0 // Tenya Thermidor for BG:EE
    ~PALEMASTER/SETUP-PALEMASTER.TP2~ #0 #0 // Pale Master Kit for BG:EE, BG2:EE and IWD:EE: v1.4.3
    ~PALEMASTER/SETUP-PALEMASTER.TP2~ #0 #2 // Evermemory Fix for BG:EE: v1.4.3
    ~CONTINOUSVICONIAAPPEARANCE/SETUP-CONTINOUSVICONIAAPPEARANCE.TP2~ #0 #100 // Continous Viconia: 1
    ~MSFM.TP2~ #0 #2 // Add Circlet of Revelation: v1.43
    ~MSFM.TP2~ #0 #3 // Add inventory animation to circlets: v1.43
    ~WILLOWISP/WILLOWISP.TP2~ #0 #5 // Witchlight Shaman standalone kit for BG:EE and BG2:EE
    ~BARDICWONDERS/SETUP-BARDICWONDERS.TP2~ #0 #0 // Bardic Wonders: Kits
    ~SARADAS_REVISIONED_SHAPESHIFTER/SARADAS_REVISIONED_SHAPESHIFTER.TP2~ #0 #0 // Saradas_Revisioned_Shapeshifter
    ~ELDRITCH_MAGIC/ELDRITCH_MAGIC.TP2~ #0 #0 // EE: Item Expansion: v1.67
    ~ELDRITCH_MAGIC/ELDRITCH_MAGIC.TP2~ #0 #3 // XP Cap Removal -> Remove XP Cap: v1.67
    ~FAITHS_AND_POWERS/FAITHS_AND_POWERS.TP2~ #0 #101 // Select an installation method below: -> ALL the new kits, the kit selection dialogue, and the sphere system: 0.64a
    ~SHADOWADEPT/SETUP-SHADOWADEPT.TP2~ #0 #0 // Shadow Adept Kit for BG:EE
    Hmm, without Arte looking at, one might suspect Faiths and Powers first as they have added so many new kits and are still working out bugs here and there. I just remember there being a kit limit and it could be reading something by mistake. I had problems with divine remix doing something similar.You might try removing both then adding just the SA back, just to test it.
    Anyway those guys, @Grammarsalad and @subtledoctor , and Arte know coding and I just enjoy the testing. Just an idea to try first. :)
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Zaghoul
    @subtledoctor Ahh, I remember now, that's right. I think I was confusing the probs Divine Remix has with adding kits to existing NPC's combined with other mods. It was something about the ordering process I thought.
    The second level spell, Lesser Vitality Drain, says it has a range of visual range of caster yet it acts as a touch spell when cast.
    I am at 5th level in BGEE/SoD. This kit is pretty cool. My feedback is as follows:

1) I would think this kit should be like a specialty mage and get 4hp per level and not 6hp.
    2) I am nervous about having cold base spells as the main damage type. At mid levels and above wizard cold spells tend to freeze enemies and you lose all their items (have no idea why they made freeze = disintegrate all items).
    3) Wish I had a way to identify items like the identify spell.
    4) Would have though skull trap would have been a natural spell for this kit.
    5) Getting spells to select every odd level is different, but OK.

Overall I think the kit is pretty good. I think moving the HP to 4 per level would have a good balance given that you learn spells like a sorcerer (no XP memorizing spells and no huge variety), while still needing to memorize like a mage.

Looking forward to see what the summons looks like.

Great work!

1) I would think this kit should be like a specialty mage and get 4hp per level and not 6hp.

Trust me, you need the extra hit points. Constitution cost aside, some of your HLAs have permanent hit point costs. Even with d6 it's possible to be level 20+ with less than 40 maximum hit points if you're unlucky, so I think it's fine as it is.
    2) I am nervous about having cold base spells as the main damage type. At mid levels and above wizard cold spells tend to freeze enemies and you lose all their items (have no idea why they made freeze = disintegrate all items).

The only spells I've seen cause frozen death are Shadowblast, Cone of Bitter Cold and Negastorm. I think the other spells deal a small enough amount of cold damage to avoid frozen death. There are quite a few AoE spells past 3rd level that don't deal cold damage.
    3) Wish I had a way to identify like the identify spell.

Fair point, I suppose. I just worked with the belief that you wouldn't use a shadow adept as a substitute for a regular mage.
    4) Would have though skull trap would have been a natural spell for this kit.

I didn't want to create one when there's already a Fireball-equivalent.
    5) Getting spells to select every odd level is different, but OK.

It's actually not every other level. I believe there's only a couple of levels where you don't get to learn a spell and one of them is level two. After a while you'll be getting several spells per level.

Overall I think the kit is pretty good. I think moving the HP to 4 per level would have a good balance given that you learn spells like a sorcerer (no XP memorizing spells and no huge variety), while still needing to memorize like a mage.

Looking forward to see what the summons looks like.

Great work!

Thank you!
    ThacoBell
    I am curious about this comment -
    Fair point, I suppose. I just worked with the belief that you wouldn't use a shadow adept as a substitute for a regular mage.

If you did not see this kit as a mage type, what was your vision?

Your comment has me wondering if you intended that people would have their standard party (for me a 4 person balanced group) and then add this as an additional member for flavor?

In my current run through, I am working with my standard party where I have this kit replace the mage type I would have join. I admit that not having identify and protection from petrification spells (or the ability to cast them from scrolls) has increased the challenge for me, though I see this as a challenge to overcome (might have to have the Ghoul join me for once for example).

Hearing you vision of the kit might help me think of ways to address things that I haven't thought of up to now.
  • ArunsunArunsun Member Posts: 1,592

I am curious about this comment -

If you did not see this kit as a mage type, what was your vision?

Your comment has me wondering if you intended that people would have their standard party (for me a 4 person balanced group) and then add this as an additional member for flavor?

In my current run through, I am working with my standard party where I have this kit replace the mage type I would have join. I admit that not having identify and protection from petrification spells (or the ability to cast them from scrolls) has increased the challenge for me, though I see this as a challenge to overcome (might have to have the Ghoul join me for once for example).

Hearing you vision of the kit might help me think of ways to address things that I haven't thought of up to now.
    It's a mage type but not meant to be played as your average mage. Much like Kensai is a fighter type, but you don't play it the same way you play an ordinary fighter (which would be some kind of tank).
    ZaghoulThacoBell
    Thanks for the feedback!

The second level spell, Lesser Vitality Drain, says it has a range of visual range of caster yet it acts as a touch spell when cast.

Also, the second level spell Dark Mirage (the one that looks like the Blur spell), why is it only 5 rounds duration? Seems pretty small duration compared to the mage Blur of 4rnd + 2rnds/lvl duration.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited June 2017
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Post edited by [Deleted User] on
    Question: I have gone in to each character in my party and turned their AI script to none. Then I keep the Party AI turned on all the time. Is this ok or is a script needed for characters when the AI is turned on for some things in this mod to work properly?