Skip to content

iOS questions.

Ja hai.

Been looking for answers, but mostly find outdated stuff..

Can I transfer saves between iOS and PC without jailbreak? If so, how?
Are Beamdog ever going to live up to the promise of same version across platforms?
Can I continue a char from 1EE to 2EE on the iPad, like the regular import?

Comments

• StummvonBordwehrStummvonBordwehr Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 1,343
    Transfer from iOS to pc: no
    Same version: yes
    Import from bg1 to bg2: yes

Imo Beamdog has done 1 h... of a job in making the games work on IPhone and iPad. Its the jailbreak requirements that sucks.
  • KhyronKhyron Member Posts: 626
    So I should get an android or windows tablet I guess.

My job has given me 2 free iPads and I kind of hate them both.
    This whole hidden hard drive crap is driving me mad..

Or I could buy the games like 3 times each and have different saves going :)
    Somre say that iOS 11 enable some kind of interaction. Dont know if it comes true, but I keep my fingers crossed.

The 1.3 version of the games works great - but no mods, no clua console or EE keeper is a nightmare. If iOS 11 doesnt move in the right direction, I am gonna quit playing on a iOS platform - which is sad because the game works really well in iOS
    From what I can gathe of the ios11 update, we'll just get a file browser on the device, letting you share and upload specific files.. like documents, to iCloud.

However there is no mention of pc connection, nor what limitations it will have.

I suspect files connected to apps won't be available, and quite likely this will include save games as far as Baldur's gate goes, which means it's no help at all.. and it won't launch until Late fall/winter.

At best it will allow us to upload saves to iCloud.. and even the copying it back and forth is still a lot of chore and work.
  • WesboiWesboi Member Posts: 403
    I would go with android as it's far superior with the amount of customisation over iOS and can access the console but I would hold of until it's actually patched and the whole cross platform isn't worth the amount of effort to actually be beneficial sadly due to the variance in game versions and the poor support.

You could get an Intel based Chromebook and run steam on it via crossover and take advantage of the steam sales.
    Think I'll just get a Microsoft Surface really.. can play other games as well then
    StummvonBordwehr
  • GusindaGusinda Member Posts: 1,915
    edited June 2017
    @Khyron, good thinking! I have recently changed from an Android tablet to a Windows hybrid (Lenovo Yoga 720) and haven't looked back. Setup BG on my main gamer the way I want and just copy to the hybrid; touch screen, active pen and keyboard when needed, light enough to use anywhere. I found that I was always trying to play familiar games on the Android platform which meant either buying the game again or using emulators on the android. Now I run an Android emulator on the Windows platform for the odd android game/app that I did like.

Edit: The only disadvantage was additional initial cost but you only live once...
    StummvonBordwehr
    Gusinda said:

@Khyron, good thinking! I have recently changed from an Android tablet to a Windows hybrid (Lenovo Yoga 720) and haven't looked back. Setup BG on my main gamer the way I want and just copy to the hybrid; touch screen, active pen and keyboard when needed, light enough to use anywhere. I found that I was always trying to play familiar games on the Android platform which meant either buying the game again or using emulators on the android. Now I run an Android emulator on the Windows platform for the odd android game/app that I did like.

Edit: The only disadvantage was additional initial cost but you only live once...

@Gusinda: have you tried installing a great deal of mods (or even BWS)? And does it work without to many work arounds?

I got used to a BWS some 7-8 years ago, but being able to play the game on a tablet sure has its perks. So the hybrid tablet seems a viable choice for me - if it works without to much hassle
    Hi @createaccount, I don't use too many (about 15 at the moment) but I don't think there would be a problem with a larger amount, as in the end it is still a Windows PC. I ended up with the Core i7 (pointing out that it is not a desktop i7) with 16GB RAM & 256GB SSD. It was on special at the time.

It hasn't failed at anything that I have thrown at it for testing (which includes 'light' video editing and full photo editing) purposes. In saying that, I have only had it for about a month but am still putting it through its paces, but I wont be installing anything like Skyrim or any heavy duty game on it... Have tried all the BG series, Planescape Torment, NWN, Torchlight II (heavily modded) etc.

Handles the Android Emulator well, and I will also be trying out other VMs using Oracle VM. Again, I am not expecting probs due to the amount of RAM. All these were part of the requirements I put in place when I started shopping for a replacement.

It has been an excellent replacement for the tablet with regard to the requirements when I bought the Tab S - magazine and technical reference reader, quick office document editor, movies, email, web browsing etc.

The only thing that it doesn't do well is its own connection to the internet (3/4G). I now use my phone and if I am away from my home network, updates could be a problem as it is just seen as a wireless connection. Will see what happens and work on some strategy that wont cost me an arm and leg. I also get less battery life than the Tab S but can still play BG for about 5 hours before needing an energy fix.

In the end, I have been very happy with the change over and not expecting probs with any modded form of BG (and I can use EEKeeper / NearInfinity whenever I like :D ).

Hope that helps
    Gus

StummvonBordwehr
    Gusinda said:

Hi @createaccount, I don't use too many (about 15 at the moment) but I don't think there would be a problem with a larger amount, as in the end it is still a Windows PC. I ended up with the Core i7 (pointing out that it is not a desktop i7) with 16GB RAM & 256GB SSD. It was on special at the time.

It hasn't failed at anything that I have thrown at it for testing (which includes 'light' video editing and full photo editing) purposes. In saying that, I have only had it for about a month but am still putting it through its paces, but I wont be installing anything like Skyrim or any heavy duty game on it... Have tried all the BG series, Planescape Torment, NWN, Torchlight II (heavily modded) etc.

Handles the Android Emulator well, and I will also be trying out other VMs using Oracle VM. Again, I am not expecting probs due to the amount of RAM. All these were part of the requirements I put in place when I started shopping for a replacement.

It has been an excellent replacement for the tablet with regard to the requirements when I bought the Tab S - magazine and technical reference reader, quick office document editor, movies, email, web browsing etc.

The only thing that it doesn't do well is its own connection to the internet (3/4G). I now use my phone and if I am away from my home network, updates could be a problem as it is just seen as a wireless connection. Will see what happens and work on some strategy that wont cost me an arm and leg. I also get less battery life than the Tab S but can still play BG for about 5 hours before needing an energy fix.

In the end, I have been very happy with the change over and not expecting probs with any modded form of BG (and I can use EEKeeper / NearInfinity whenever I like :D ).

Hope that helps
    Gus

@Gusinda. It was helpful and insightful. Thank you.

I will go buy a hybrid
    @createaccount, if I can offer some advice... Not sure how technical your knowledge is.

Make sure that when you are putting together your list of requirements, you understand what capabilities are needed to support them. There are alot of hybrids out there and some may not meet your needs. My list of considerations had three columns; 'must have', 'nice to' and 'don't care'. During my research, some items changed column but this is why I research...

My requirements (virtualisation and some applications I use) meant that I was limited in my selection of CPUs. I was either looking at the Core i5 or Core i7 CPU (ended up with the Core i7 7500U) of the latest generation (Gen7). I stayed away from the Core i3, any of the 'Y' series CPUs (the old 'M' series) as well as the Pentium/Celeron/Atom CPUs. Bit of a minefield. This in turn meant that I had a reduction on battery life but I was happy with the trade off. I also recommend that which ever CPU you opt for, you get a minumum of 8GB RAM to support it if you running with the Windows 10 platform. I went to 16GB because of virtualisation. If you are using the windows platform, I also recommend that you stay away from Windows 10 'S'!

Monitor wise, I settled on the 1920x1080 resolution. I actually wanted 1920x1200 but choices were limited to 1 hybrid. My reasoning was that anything higher would just use more battery life then required and didn't matter with my considerations, anything lower just took away screen real estate. I turn off and don't use windows scaling at all.

I looked at the detachable keyboard models (like MS Surface) but they didn't support the way that I used the device on the lounge or in bed. I didn't try them but I thought they just wouldn't be stable enough, although it did make them lighter.

Port connectivity was a concern. I needed something that supported both USB-C and USB-A connectors and 'preferred' (nice to) to have the power supplied by USB-C to help reduce chargers in the house (with my phone eventually going USB-C). It was a bonus that the machine I bought also supported 'Thunderbolt' as it was in my 'don't care' column. Something that you may want to consider? A lot of the current generation 2in1s are moving to the USB-C only connectors. May not be a problem for yourself as there are adaptors to get back to USB-A, USB-B, HDMI etc. Most of the other connectivity requirements were common over the machines I looked at (WiFi, Bluetooth v4.x etc). I was very limited when I included 3/4G in the list but had to remove it as those models didn't suit me and it was a 'nice to' have rather than a must have.

I left my budget for last even though it was in the 'must have' side of the requirements. Putting that up front meant not even considering some of the premium models which limited my research...

In the end, it was like a trading game, moving considerations between columns, adjusting budget, need an adapter to do this or that, and realising that I just can't have it all no matter how greedy I am... I narrowed my preferred machines down to three models then looked around for any specials that were on.

Happy hunting
    Gus
    StummvonBordwehrGreenWarlock
    Gusinda said:

@createaccount, if I can offer some advice... Not sure how technical your knowledge is.

Make sure that when you are putting together your list of requirements, you understand what capabilities are needed to support them. There are alot of hybrids out there and some may not meet your needs. My list of considerations had three columns; 'must have', 'nice to' and 'don't care'. During my research, some items changed column but this is why I research...

My requirements (virtualisation and some applications I use) meant that I was limited in my selection of CPUs. I was either looking at the Core i5 or Core i7 CPU (ended up with the Core i7 7500U) of the latest generation (Gen7). I stayed away from the Core i3, any of the 'Y' series CPUs (the old 'M' series) as well as the Pentium/Celeron/Atom CPUs. Bit of a minefield. This in turn meant that I had a reduction on battery life but I was happy with the trade off. I also recommend that which ever CPU you opt for, you get a minumum of 8GB RAM to support it if you running with the Windows 10 platform. I went to 16GB because of virtualisation. If you are using the windows platform, I also recommend that you stay away from Windows 10 'S'!

Monitor wise, I settled on the 1920x1080 resolution. I actually wanted 1920x1200 but choices were limited to 1 hybrid. My reasoning was that anything higher would just use more battery life then required and didn't matter with my considerations, anything lower just took away screen real estate. I turn off and don't use windows scaling at all.

I looked at the detachable keyboard models (like MS Surface) but they didn't support the way that I used the device on the lounge or in bed. I didn't try them but I thought they just wouldn't be stable enough, although it did make them lighter.

Port connectivity was a concern. I needed something that supported both USB-C and USB-A connectors and 'preferred' (nice to) to have the power supplied by USB-C to help reduce chargers in the house (with my phone eventually going USB-C). It was a bonus that the machine I bought also supported 'Thunderbolt' as it was in my 'don't care' column. Something that you may want to consider? A lot of the current generation 2in1s are moving to the USB-C only connectors. May not be a problem for yourself as there are adaptors to get back to USB-A, USB-B, HDMI etc. Most of the other connectivity requirements were common over the machines I looked at (WiFi, Bluetooth v4.x etc). I was very limited when I included 3/4G in the list but had to remove it as those models didn't suit me and it was a 'nice to' have rather than a must have.

I left my budget for last even though it was in the 'must have' side of the requirements. Putting that up front meant not even considering some of the premium models which limited my research...

In the end, it was like a trading game, moving considerations between columns, adjusting budget, need an adapter to do this or that, and realising that I just can't have it all no matter how greedy I am... I narrowed my preferred machines down to three models then looked around for any specials that were on.

Happy hunting
    Gus

@Gusinda once again, thank you. Buying hardware is always a mine field, so your helpful insight has been much appreciated.