Skip to content

Pathfinder CRPG announced, "Narrative Design by Chris Avellone"

Comments

• AstroBryGuyAstroBryGuy Member Posts: 3,437

Nice! In just 5 days the project managed to secure another $50k. Meaning their 1st stretch goal is also reached! Immersive camping for everyone! :sunglasses:

In other news, here's Pathfinder: Kingmaker's third stretch goal:

I'm disappointed that macOS and Linux versions are a "stretch goal" for Kingmaker. Torment, Pillars, and Bard's Tale 4 were all announced with support for Windows, Mac, & Linux.
    ThacoBell
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870

I'm disappointed that macOS and Linux versions are a "stretch goal" for Kingmaker. Torment, Pillars, and Bard's Tale 4 were all announced with support for Windows, Mac, & Linux.

That's true. But you have to remember that each crowdfunding campaign has different plans for their finite fundings. I personally backed many projects over at kickstarter which were first announced for a single plattform and later, via stretch goals, managed to get the needed extra funds for other ports as well.

On the bright side: thanks to the recent stream of incoming backers, Pathfinder:Kingmaker is currently trending towards $860k. So chances that the campaign manages to reach this particular stretch goal within the next 12 days seems more than doable.
    There's also talk about ports towards consoles and the tablet markets as well. Although whenever those additional ports will come via stretch goals, or later on after release date (if at all), is still up in the air for Owlcat Games.
  • simplessimples Member Posts: 540

yeah and bear in mind some games that come out for mac are just glorified wineskin ports
    KamigoroshiAstroBryGuy
    Bit late, but as of today we finally got the Magus class in the bag! :)

Also, here's the fourth stretch goal of Pathfinder: Kingmaker:

That one seems to be the last stretch goal we can clear, realistically speaking. Since we're currently trending towards $800k. Give or take a couple of grands.
    bleusteelShapiroKeatsDarkMageThacoBell
  • bleusteelbleusteel Member Posts: 523
    I played a ton of D&D, AD&D and 2nd edition in my youth. I have all of the core books for 3E, 3.5E and 5th, mostly because I want to support the hobby I no longer have time/opportunity to enjoy. That's where CRPGs come in :-)

I also have all the core Pathfinder books, but haven't dug into them to figure out the difference between Pathfinder and 3.5E. What are some of the big (or subtle) mechanics that differentiate Pathfinder from D&D? Or are the mechanics just D20/OGL with setting being the primary difference?

Thanks for your time! Sorry if this is off-topic.
  • ShapiroKeatsDarkMageShapiroKeatsDarkMage Member Posts: 2,428

Bit late, but as of today we finally got the Magus class in the bag! :)

Also, here's the fourth stretch goal of Pathfinder: Kingmaker:

That one seems to be the last stretch goal we can clear, realistically speaking. Since we're currently trending towards $800k. Give or take a couple of grands.

Yes add the bladebound archetype for the Magus please. I want to make Elric of Melnibone.
  • FardragonFardragon Member Posts: 4,511
    Pathfinder is what 3.5 would be if it had been allowed to continue to develop, rather than being killed off in favour of the Forth Abomination.

Main difference is simply the vast number of classes and options. It also has archetypes, which are basically 2nd edition kits ported over.
    ShapiroKeatsDarkMagebleusteelThacoBell
    Thanks, @Fardragon !

Notice I omitted 4th edition as I did not want to encourage that sort of nonsense from WotC.

Ironically, since the IWD2 source is apparently lost, this Kickstarter may be our only chance to get a new 3.x D&D CRPG. I'm really looking forward to playing it.
  • AstroBryGuyAstroBryGuy Member Posts: 3,437
    simples said:

yeah and bear in mind some games that come out for mac are just glorified wineskin ports
    Well, I hope that's not what Paizo and Owlcat mean by "a Mac & Linux version". That would be disappointing.
    Why can't bioware make a new game based on D&D?
    It's not like they can't do it. Bioware is just more interested in producing new titles of their own IP's. That way they don't have to pay WotC royalties for using D&D in their games. Which means more money for them and EA.
  • VallmyrVallmyr Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,456
    /cynicism ahead

It would also mean Bioware would have to actually use a complex system again that allows for character depth through build rather than their dumbed down systems <_< >_>
    ShapiroKeatsDarkMageKamigoroshiThacoBell
    Vallmyr said:

/cynicism ahead

It would also mean Bioware would have to actually use a complex system again that allows for character depth through build rather than their dumbed down systems <_< >_>

That too.XD
    Vallmyr

Nice way of advertising! XD

Less than 67 hours until the campaign ends. With the current speed they'll make around $720k. Fortunately Owlcat Games also continues doing slacker backer pledges via paypal on their website even after the campaign ends. So it's still possible we see the realization of the Archetypes.

But honestly, it's really a shame that things slowed down to a crawl after meeting the Magus stretch goal.
    FinneousPJ
  • DoubledimasDoubledimas Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 1,286
    22 hours to go and they are now at $787,129. With Paypal now enabled, I have also backed the project.
    Kamigoroshi
    Turns out that Archetypes really got funded, with 17 hours to spare even!

Next up is Nok-Nok the Goblin Companion:

And after the gob comes a new race:

Both are of course stretch goals that won't be met within the next 17 hours. Let's see how much the paypal pledges will get us. Me still wants to play Ratfolk! :tired_face:
    I reallllllyy hope Kitsune get put in <_< >_>

Definitely my favorite non-standard fantasy race and I have yet to find a video game RPG with them in it.
    ThacoBell
    edited July 2017
    They said that after the $1mil stretch goal has been reached, the Owlcat team will discuss with Paizo for suitable race candidates. And then let backers decide via a poll with 3 race choices. So you can theoretically vote for Kitsune being put into Kingmaker. As long as they're in the poll, that is.
    Vallmyr
  • FardragonFardragon Member Posts: 4,511

Turns out that Archetypes really got funded, with 17 hours to spare even!

Next up is Nok-Nok the Goblin Companion:

And after the gob comes a new race:

Both are of course stretch goals that won't be met within the next 17 hours. Let's see how much the paypal pledges will get us. Me still wants to play Ratfolk! :tired_face:

"Let's look at what you could have won..."
    bleusteel
  • MirandelMirandel Member Posts: 526
    Watch us play!

If you missed our live-stream with Alexander Mishulin and Chris Avellone, please, check the recording on our official YouTube channel:

bleusteel
    Nok Nok the goblin companion is in! They will need some serious slacker backer action to make it to the new playable race.
    KamigoroshiVallmyrThacoBellShapiroKeatsDarkMage
    edited July 2017
    Just woke up, only to see that in the end they really nailed down the $900k goblin stretch goal. Nok-Nok will become the new (batshit insane) Deekin it seems. O_o“

Hellknights were the $1.1mil stretch goal by the way.
    bleusteelVallmyrShapiroKeatsDarkMage
    bleusteel said:

Nok Nok the goblin companion is in! They will need some serious slacker backer action to make it to the new playable race.

Yay Goblins!
    bleusteel
    Vallmyr said:

I reallllllyy hope Kitsune get put in <_< >_>

Definitely my favorite non-standard fantasy race and I have yet to find a video game RPG with them in it.

I vote Android. Yes Androids are a race in Pathfinder.
    FinneousPJFardragon
    People currently can vote for that Extra Portrait (which was unlocked through social stretch goals) over at the official forums. The poll has four choices:
    1. The baron is getting attacked by Nok-Nok
    2. The baron teaches Nok-Nok
    3. The baron is a half-elf sorcerer
    4. The baron is a regal-looking half-orc
    Should either the third or fourth choice make it, another poll will take place to determine the gender. Needless to say, I already voted for the regal half-orc portrait who's dating Nok-Nok the goblin. :p
    Was hoping half-orc would win but seems half-elf is.
    Kamigoroshi
    Yup, sadly the half-elf sorcerer has won the poll. Not like I would have that extra portrait anyway, given that my pledge level is below the needed $40, mind you. :p

Anyway, further backer polls will take place in the dev forums. So if you guys backed the campaign I'd suggest to register in the official forums as well.
    bleusteel
  • CvijetaCvijeta Member Posts: 417
    Is it possible to back it up with debit card?
    Cvijeta said:

Is it possible to back it up with debit card?

Sure. People can pre-order at their backer portal via both PayPal and PSC. While I have no knowledge about PSC, at the very least PayPal supports the use of debit cards.
    I Wonder if theres going to be a Gunslinger DLC.