Skip to content

Level 5 Spell immunity

Does anyone happen to know the details of the lvl 5 spell, Spell Immunity. Does it only work on spells cast by enemies, and not by yourself. I recently cast immunity to necromancy and then proceeded to kill myself with a skull trap. Also I would assume protection from evocation would protect me from web, that was also not the case. Anybody else notice this issue?

Comments

• SkatanSkatan Member, Moderator Posts: 5,352
    edited July 2017
    Edit. Nevermind me.

Post edited by Skatan on
  • MyragMyrag Member Posts: 328
    I'm pretty sure spell immunity does not protect against your own spells i.e. skull trap self kill, for this use proection from magic energy.
    wizzywazzosemiticgoddess
  • Grond0Grond0 Member Posts: 7,305
    edited July 2017
    It's a similar issue to magic resistance. In vanilla BG magic resistance could prevent beneficial spells from working - which was a bit of a pain. If spell immunity protected against all spells that could similarly result in an inability to use your own buffs - for instance you might want to protect against your own skull traps, but if spell immunity did that it would also prevent you from getting bonus HPs from LMD and vampiric touch.

MGoI is a good spell available at relatively low level if you want to be in the thick of your own casting. It has a short duration though so you need to take a bit of care in using it.
    JuliusBorisov
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    Spell immunity protects against spells cast directly on your character. So no AOE protection.
    Spell behavior may vary between installations, but in BG2EE spell immunity does provide AoE protection - but as posted above does not protect against your own spells (whether AoE or not).
    JuliusBorisov
  • abacusabacus Member Posts: 1,307
    ThacoBell said:

Spell immunity protects against spells cast directly on your character. So no AOE protection.

If this were true, SI:Abjuration wouldn't protect against Dispel... so I think @Grond0 is right.
  • wizzywazzowizzywazzo Member Posts: 33
    Grond0 said:

Spell behavior may vary between installations, but in BG2EE spell immunity does provide AoE protection - but as posted above does not protect against your own spells (whether AoE or not).

Awesome guys thanks for the clarification, knowing this is a game changer for my sorcerer's picks
    Grond0
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    edited July 2017
    Grond0 said:

Are you sure? I seem to recall cloudkill, web, and similar spells getting through spell immunity. And if AOE or target don't matter, it should block timestop, which it doesn't.
  • abacusabacus Member Posts: 1,307

Grond0 said:

Awesome guys thanks for the clarification, knowing this is a game changer for my sorcerer's picks
    It's definitely worthwhile... favoured uses are vs Abjuration (to protect your buffs) & vs Divination to make Improved Invisibility impervious to True Sight (meaning you are untargetable by spells).
    edited July 2017
    ThacoBell said:

Are you sure? I seem to recall cloudkill, web, and similar spells getting through spell immunity. And if AOE or target don't matter, it should block timestop, which it doesn't.

@ThacoBell I'm sure about AoE spells, yes. Here's a cloudkill from Imoen being blocked, while a cloudkill from the PC takes effect.

I agree though that timestop is a special case - I presume on the grounds that it's treated as affecting the caster rather than everyone else.
    ThacoBellJuliusBorisov