Skip to content

Looking for mods enhancing wilderness areas

O_BruceO_Bruce Member Posts: 2,790
Hey there

As the title suggest, I'm interested in mods that are enhancing wilderness areas in Baldur's Gate: EE. What was always a disadvantage of this game for me was that the game had many optional wilderness areas, but there isn't much interesting things or encounters in them. Therefore, exploring these doesn't feels fun, but feels like chore instead.

Are there mods out there that change that? Mods that make these areas more interesting, adding encounters, mini quests, things like that? If so, can you guys reccomend some mods for that?
JuliusBorisov

Comments

• ArthasArthas Member Posts: 1,091
    @PaulaMigrate only the first 4 have actually worth content. The others have it incomplete (grey clan), cheesy (horizon and dark side of the sword cost), bugged (stone of avaskar).

PAula I read that you had a mod for bg2 that highlited some issue with the story and actually continuted after toB. What's the name?
  • PaulaMigratePaulaMigrate Member Posts: 1,201
    edited July 2017
    Arthas said:

@PaulaMigrate only the first 4 have actually worth content. The others have it incomplete (grey clan), cheesy (horizon and dark side of the sword cost), bugged (stone of avaskar).

PAula I read that you had a mod for bg2 that highlited some issue with the story and actually continuted after toB. What's the name?

Corrections:
    1. The EET versions of Stone of Askavar has no bugs (I can*t comment on BG1), why does it not add content?
    2. The EET version of DSotSC has no bugs (I can*t comment on BG1, this uses a different version)
    3. The Grey Clan, episode 1 is a complete mod. The final dialogue implies that one day there may be a sequel (which never was released) but that quest is finished.
    4. In EET you can install the Sandrah Saga mod which provides a kind of sequel to Grey Clan
    5. Dark Horizon is unbalanced even in EET because the author wants it that way (if you restrain yourself and not pick up dropped items from foe, you can still have fun with it, again I can*t comment on BG1)
    6. The mod that continues after ToB is NOT for BG2 but exclusive for EET, it is the Part 2 of the Sandrah Saga, called RtF = Return to Faerun

My apologies though - I probably should mention in all my posts that I always refer to the EET enhanced version of the games, not the vanilla versions. So mods may work differently - in addition EET and EET_Tweaks balance large mods in the context and remove some *cheese*. As example, you can select your XP settings etc so you come out of the BG/SoD playthrough at a suitable level for BG2 transition and not overpowered by mod added xps.
    bob_vengArthas
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    @Arthas Stone of Askavar is bugged in what way? I've played through the whole thing with no problems.
    @PaulaMigrate Thanks. Does Return to faerun expect the bhaalspawn not to take the mantle of a god? Or is it supposed to work even if you go full gode mode? Does it reflect on the game?

@ThacoBell can't remember all the issues mate. Sorry. Played three years ago. The only bug that I still remember that was really intrusive was that in BGT you couldn't access a cave because the cursor won't switch 'mode' and so you couldn't go in the cave.
    edited July 2017
    Arthas said:

@PaulaMigrate Thanks. Does Return to faerun expect the bhaalspawn not to take the mantle of a god? Or is it supposed to work even if you go full gode mode? Does it reflect on the game?

@ThacoBell can't remember all the issues mate. Sorry. Played three years ago. The only bug that I still remember that was really intrusive was that in BGT you couldn't access a cave because the cursor won't switch 'mode' and so you couldn't go in the cave.

1. Askavar - The old BGT bug is definitely fixed in EE version of the mod.
    2. RtF
    At ToB end you have the choice to
    a. stay mortal
    b. take Bhaal's heritage (evil)
    c. become a god but NOT god of murder (good)
    RtF only starts with variation c. For the others, mods still need to be created.
    In the RtF sequel you return to the Sword Coast and Amn incognito, you can revisit ALL areas from the whole trilogy + new areas and meet a lot of old characters in their new occupation, some may join you and some have new interests. There are new companions you can find (those new companions all add large side-quests for you). And there is a complete new story and quest that takes you to the old and new places. It is a very big quest, probably more than SoD. It is full of surprises of whom you meet and what they do after ToB. It is a complex new game but it depends on your former adventures and pays full references to what you did in the original game.
    Despite the fact that you are a god (even when using a mortal avatar) and some of your opponents are gods as well, the mod does not built on incredible powers or ever harder battles. Encounter difficulty is like Watcher's Keep or ToB (except end battle), thus it is less tactical but focusses on role play.
    If your decision at ToB is a or b the game ends in the normal way with movie and bios screens for your companions.
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    Arthas said:

Yup, that would be the issue. The mod has been updated since then.
    @PaulaMigrate to me it seems I'm living a dream. Are you serious about being able to continue the game after becoming a god? This is the weirdest thing I've ever heard. Who made this mod? Why? Is there a team behind it ? A website? Did you troll me? Rip
    Arthas said:

@PaulaMigrate to me it seems I'm living a dream. Are you serious about being able to continue the game after becoming a god? This is the weirdest thing I've ever heard. Who made this mod? Why? Is there a team behind it ? A website? Did you troll me? Rip

It's here.
    http://www.shsforums.net/topic/59012-mod-sandrah-saga-for-eet/
    Becoming a god and returning to the Prime does not mean that it'ii be all level 40++ fights and challenges. Just the opposite, this is all about stories and quests and exploring the Realms from a different angle.