Skip to content

Man, that took a dark turn. (spoilers ahead)

So I rescued Melincamp the chicken from a wolf and took him to his master to be restored to his normal self. Here I am thinking, "Ah yeah this should be a funny quest, man stole from his master, goofed and got stuck as a chicken." I even thought it was a bit weird they would make the quest of finding the head of an undead creature so easy, like just right outside the tower are skeletons that drop skulls. So all that beguiled this really somber ending to the quest. That was really unexpected.
JuliusBorisovPapa_LouLoldrupThacoBellAerakarShikaoHalfOrcBeastmaster

Comments

• DanterDanter Member Posts: 45
    I didn't even notice the name of the spell.
  • HadarHadar Member Posts: 171
    @Danter

If you want Melicamp to live just reload and try again - eventually he will survive the Antichickenator spell xD
  • PaulaMigratePaulaMigrate Member Posts: 1,201
    "Antichickenator" has a random result, you either get fried chicken or Melicamp, the eternal apprentice.
    You can try out both variations, just make a save before you give the skull to Thalantyr. Reload to see either result.
    Loldrup
  • ZaghoulZaghoul Member, Moderator Posts: 3,938
    Melicamp is quite a bit more 'interesting' in the BG Romantic Encounters mod. ;)
    lunarLoldrup
    Zaghoul said:

Melicamp is quite a bit more 'interesting' in the BG Romantic Encounters mod. ;)

With EET he can even become a joinable party member later in the game.
    Zaghoul
  • ZaghoulZaghoul Member, Moderator Posts: 3,938

Zaghoul said:

Huh. What class/kit is he in there? Plain mage?
  • fatelessfateless Member Posts: 330
    he's a chicken summoner.
    ThacoBell
    edited July 2017
    Zaghoul said:

Zaghoul said:

Huh. What class/kit is he in there? Plain mage?
    Sorcerer, level 9 (Generalist)

He refuses to even taste the famous *chicken Ulcaster with garlic* when another companion cooks it for dinner and doesn't even accept the alternative *scrambled eggs*.
    Zaghoul
  • DanterDanter Member Posts: 45
    It's too late sadly. I just assumed the result would always be the same and saved after. XD Melincamp's goose is cooked. Or chicken rather.
    Quartz
  • ChroniclerChronicler Member Posts: 1,391
    Thalantyr alludes to the random result of the spell when he's talking about how risky the spell is, and how there's no guarantee it'll work.

It's still a bit of a quirky quest though, since I don't think that mechanic is recycled anywhere else. Without spoiling anything, at one point you can help out a cleric who serves the god of luck, and his quest is similarly made out to be a bit of a cosmic coin toss, but it's all scripted and works out the same way every time.
  • DreadKhanDreadKhan Member Posts: 3,857
    I think it'd be too sad if the boy didn't get Raised successfully. :neutral: I suppose the NPCs not having a failure chance/drawback for being Raised would make it stick out.
  • UnderstandMouseMagicUnderstandMouseMagic Member Posts: 2,147

Thalantyr alludes to the random result of the spell when he's talking about how risky the spell is, and how there's no guarantee it'll work.

It's still a bit of a quirky quest though, since I don't think that mechanic is recycled anywhere else. Without spoiling anything, at one point you can help out a cleric who serves the god of luck, and his quest is similarly made out to be a bit of a cosmic coin toss, but it's all scripted and works out the same way every time.

Not if you leave it too long as I found out last playthrough.
    Never happened before so was most disappointed and felt like a murderer.

If you look at Thalantyr's script for the Melicamp quest you find it's coded as a fifty-fifty chance for either outcome.
    Don't know about the other example you quoted, I don't remember having seen that one. You have more details where that is?

If you look at Thalantyr's script for the Melicamp quest you find it's coded as a fifty-fifty chance for either outcome.
    Don't know about the other example you quoted, I don't remember having seen that one. You have more details where that is?
    I thought @Chronicler was referencing the raising the son quest in BG, @DreadKhan referenced the same. The father is a cleric of Tymora.
  • lunarlunar Member Posts: 3,460
    edited July 2017
    Powergamers just reload until Melicamp survives the transformation, as the game rewards xp only if he survives. It makes no reload games more interesting, though.
    Zaghoul said:

Oh yeah, definitely surprised me that he was bisexual.

I thought @Chronicler was referencing the raising the son quest in BG, @DreadKhan referenced the same. The father is a cleric of Tymora.
    Are you sure there is a similar effect? According to Tremai.dlg the boy is always raised if the timer to return the body has not expired, i.e. there is no randomness but a time allowance to solve the quest.

Are you sure there is a similar effect? According to Tremai.dlg the boy is always raised if the timer to return the body has not expired, i.e. there is no randomness but a time allowance to solve the quest.
    I did mention that I was refering to missing the time limit. It's only recently I found there was a timer having never waited to do that quest before. So basically just adding a bit of info.
  • ZaramMaldovarZaramMaldovar Member Posts: 2,309
    There are several far darker moments in the Baldur's Gate Saga. Siege of Dragonspear's ending in particular is probably the darkest. However I had no idea Melicamp could die for several years as Antichickenator worked perfectly the first four times I played the game.