Skip to content

Durlag's Tower Help Needed

First off: I KNOW there is a walkthrough, but I'm playing it on my own! Please, don't spoil anything!

So far, I've been having the best time of my life (as far as video games go), and I'll be writing a 'review' of sorts when I'm done, but for the second time I'm stuck, and now it's the Durlag's tower underground level.

Gaius (the Paladin) and his party ran into the wardens and their riddles, and thus far I've managed to complete two of them: the one where you read all the books and returns his pride and the one where you return the funny looking gem stone.

Now, I have a lever for the big machine, and I also have the shaft and head of a mallet, some grapes, a funny looking key. I've seen a gong in one of the rooms, but I can't figure out how to put the mallet pieces back together (I already tried the item slots etc but nothing works), and I know the lever is supposed to go into the machine, but I don't know how to do it.

Any tips / nudges in the right direction, please? Just enough info so that I can progress on my own should suffice.

Comments

• fatelessfateless Member Posts: 330
    the mallet has to be put together. It doesn't light up but the cursor will change when you find the right place. I want to say for the mallet it looks like a stove. But maybe that one was on an anvil.

As for the other. If you've used the key on the drawer and gotten the lever. I believe the lever goes in a spot on the wall. not the machine itself.
  • UnderstandMouseMagicUnderstandMouseMagic Member Posts: 2,147
    The mallet head and shaft have to "forged" at the anvil. The anvil is in the second room on the first right from where you enter (looking at the room from the sprite perspective at the entrance).

The lever you get from the chest you open with the twisted key needs to to put on the engine of the pressing machine.
    That's in the room with the entrance opposite the "boxing ring" which is down the corridor with the two flesh golums.
  • ZaramMaldovarZaramMaldovar Member Posts: 2,309
    Also I wont say how many, but Durlag's Tower has multiple lower levels, each that requires puzzle solving to move forward through. The 2nd level is particularly aggravating.
  • AerakarAerakar Member Posts: 1,025
    @Volatile, Durlag's Tower is my favorite dungeon in all of the BG series. I love playing though it with a thief protagonist. I think the design is very strong. I wish I could play through it again for the first time, but that would require a time machine :) Enjoy the challenge.
  • PaulaMigratePaulaMigrate Member Posts: 1,201
    Aerakar said:

@Volatile, Durlag's Tower is my favorite dungeon in all of the BG series. I love playing though it with a thief protagonist. I think the design is very strong. I wish I could play through it again for the first time, but that would require a time machine :) Enjoy the challenge.

This is the big weakness of Durlag's Tower - once you solved the riddles, you can't forget. And it's a pretty linear thing, so if you do it again it starts to get repititous.
    Your approach to do it first time with open eyes and no guide is the perfect way, enjoy it, you can't do it this way again.