Skip to content

Question about Fighter/Mage

GhostMerKGhostMerK Member Posts: 2
So I'm about to start playing BG2 EE and I've been running a couple of character classes through the Black Pits to try them out before I settle on one to play the game with.

I've never played a fighter/mage before so I thought I would give it a try. Well, when I dual classed to a fighter/mage my entire spellbook went grey and my cast spell icon is gone.

for reference, I'm using console commands to try out a couple of different things, I'm on story mode, I have the spell failure curse on me, but only when I'm in the building, not when I'm in the arena. (but spellbook is still greyed out when I'm in the arena)

I'm able to do all the things a fighter can do and wear, but zero things that come with the mage class. Its like im just a fighter and not a dual class. Any help or advice would be appreciated. Attached is a picture of my spell book immediately after I dual classed.

Edit: I've tried resting and resetting the game and neither of those worked.

Comments

• Lord_TansheronLord_Tansheron Member Posts: 4,211
    edited July 2017
    That is entirely how dual-classing works. Your first class will become INACTIVE until you REACH A HIGHER LEVEL IN YOUR NEW CLASS (higher than the first class, that is). At that point your first class will reactivate, and you will regain all abilities you previously had with that class. However, you will never again gain experience in that first class, which means you will ONLY progress in your SECOND class after you dual.

That's the difference between dual-class and multiclass (which progresses in ALL classes AT THE SAME TIME).
  • GhostMerKGhostMerK Member Posts: 2
    Gotcha! that makes a lot of sense. Thanks a lot for the answer that cleared it up right away.
  • DreadKhanDreadKhan Member Posts: 3,857
    Kudos on daring to attempt a Wizard to Fighter... I've never been brave enough to. ;)
  • jsavingjsaving Member Posts: 1,083
    To elaborate on that: your characters will generally be stronger if you start with a high hit point class and then dual to a low hit point class. So if you are wanting a fighter/mage, you would usually want to start our as a berserker or kensai and then dual to mage.
  • moody_magemoody_mage Member Posts: 2,054
    Actually a level 1 wizard dualled to fighter can be very effective (moreso once you get the strength tome). the ability for a fighter to use scrolls, wands and have a familiar is pretty neat.
  • Lord_TansheronLord_Tansheron Member Posts: 4,211

Actually a level 1 wizard dualled to fighter can be very effective (moreso once you get the strength tome). the ability for a fighter to use scrolls, wands and have a familiar is pretty neat.

I believe you need to be level 2 to dual, but yeah, that is a popular strategy in BG1.