Skip to content

Best Mod NPCs

So I know that mods and mod NPCs have been covered and reviewed before, but I was hoping for some more up to date opinions on the numerous Mod NPCs available for BGII, in particular Mod NPCs who are fun to play WITH other Mod NPCs (banters and so forth.)

Any recommendations or opinions?

Comments

• ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    Sirene is easily my favorite mod NPC. Definitely worth a look.
    Dawglicious
  • PaulaMigratePaulaMigrate Member Posts: 1,201
    edited July 2017
    ThacoBell said:

Sirene is easily my favorite mod NPC. Definitely worth a look.

Sirene is a very good NPC -
    it also illustrates the dilemma of this question, Sirene meets the protagonist originally in BG1 and can accompany you through all of BG1 and SoD and then you meet her again in Amn.
    This is the case for nearly all of the very good mod NPCs, they have a life and story with you before SoA.

The best NPC mods in BG2EE are those that have continuous stories through the trilogy or add a BG2/ToB sequel to a BG1 NPC.

There are also quite good *pure* BG2 NPCs, of course but from story depth and interactions the constant companions are preferrable.

Since you ask for up-to-date opinions, the ones that fit to your questions are those you can play across the complete game, even better if you do it with the EET so that they are truely continuos.

Examples for such NPCs
    - Sirene (most interesting character, a tiefling paladin) has crossmod contents mostly with NPCs from the same author.
    - Isra (interesting NPCs with a romance that develops in BG2) however crossmod only with vanilla cast.
    - Sandrah (definitely has the most content of interactions, quests etc - maybe not adequate to file her under NPC mods) she has crossmod contents with nearly every mod and vanilla NPC , sometimes even adding extra quests for some combinations.
    - Ajantis (sigh, after all he's a classic paladin but still well written), crossmod mostly with vanilla cast.
    - Angelo (in his special way, it's the same Angelo who worked for Sarevok)

Not recommended are Shar-Teel and Kivan in this context, the BG2 sequels were created by different authors without taking the BG1 mods for the same NPCs into account, this way you get re-used NPCs but no continuity.
    Post edited by PaulaMigrate on
    DawgliciousKusel
  • DawgliciousDawglicious Member Posts: 221
    I considered playing BG1 and did for a few hours, but I couldn't keep with it. I just don't find it as interesting as BGII.
    Wilson Chronicles definitely interested me, I was just sad that there did no seem to be any crossmod content, even with Lava's other mods :(
  • megamike15megamike15 Member Posts: 2,666
    edited July 2017
    isra and xan i consider the best of the ones i have played so far.

"Not recommended are Shar-Teel and Kivan in this context, the BG2 sequels were created by different authors without taking the BG1 mods for the same NPCs into account, this way you get re-used NPCs but no continuity."

thats not the case with kivan as i'm pretty sure he is still written by domi in bg2.
    Dawglicious
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    ThacoBellDawgliciousBeetlegorgonzola
  • ArtonaArtona Member Posts: 1,077
    My favourite mod NPC is Adrian. One of the best evil companion, in my opinion.
    DawgliciousMirandel
  • MirandelMirandel Member Posts: 526
    May be you can start from another side? Look at the crossmods available (I think more then one included in different NPC affecting mods), check what custom NPC are included and go from there?

I would also consider extended content for existing NPCs - like numerous friendship or romance mods. They give more content to existing NPCs and you can be sure about cross-banters.
    Dawglicious
    edited July 2017

I considered playing BG1 and did for a few hours, but I couldn't keep with it. I just don't find it as interesting as BGII.

There are only very few mods that break out of standard patterns when it comes to crossmod contents.
    - Most mod NPCs have interactions mostly with the PC + limited contents with vanilla NPCs
    - Some mod NPCs have contents with specific other mod NPCs (mostly from the same author or close friends) > you are bound to a certain group composition. Like this http://www.gibberlings3.net/crossmod/

The very few that really expand out and contain crossmod with a large number of mod NPCs and vanilla ones are disqualified by your above rule.
    DawgliciousKusel
  • MirandelMirandel Member Posts: 526
    edited July 2017

- Some mod NPCs have contents with specific other mod NPCs (mostly from the same author or close friends) > you are bound to a certain group composition. Like this http://www.gibberlings3.net/crossmod/

Well, to be fair, that particular crossmod (the main one, thanks for linking it) is quite big, and you can make several different groups out of it. :) Might be enough for OP

Mods currently covered by this project:

Adrian, by Rhaella
    Ajantis (BG2, ToB), by Jastey
    Alassa, by SimDing0
    Amber, by Meira & Darios
    Angelo, by Sister Vigilante
    Aran Whitehand, by cmorgan
    Arath, by K'aeloree
    Auren, by Theacefes
    Branwen, by Kulyok
    Coran, by Kulyok
    Dace, by Tess & K'aeloree
    Darian, by Tempest
    Fade, by Mistress Elysia
    Faren, by Feuille & Miss Sakaki
    Gavin (BG2, ToB), by Berelinde
    Goo, by Ghreyfain
    HaerDalis Romance, by Aeryn
    Haldamir, by Berelinde
    Homeward Bound, by Berelinde
    Hubelpot, by Bookwyrme
    Ilyos, by K'aeloree
    Isra, by Rhaella
    Iylos, by K'aeloree
    Kari the Kobold, by Moongaze
    Kelsey, by JCompton
    Keto, by JCompton & Blue the Immortal Bard
    Kido, by Deathsangel/Moongaze
    Kindrek. by Nethrin
    Kitanya, by Rastor
    Kivan of Shilmista, by Domi
    Laufey's Edwin Romance, by Laufey
    Nathaniel, by Feuille & Miss Sakaki
    Neh'taniel, by Skye & kitanna
    Nephele, by K'aeloree
    Ninde, by Deva & Rhaella
    Petsy Chattertone, by Lava Del'Vortel
    Saerileth, by Nethrin & Sillara
    Sarah, by Theacefes
    Solaufein, by Weimer
    Tales of the Deep Gardens, by Lava Del'Vortel
    Tashia, by Bri & Lord Ernie
    The Longer Road (Irenicus), by Dorotea
    The Luxleys, by Feuille & Miss Sakaki
    Tiax, by Kulyok
    Tsujatha, by Nethrin & Sillara
    Wikaede, by Moongaze
    Willie Bruce
    Xan, by Kulyok
    Xulaye, by K'aeloree, Riviera, & Bookwyrme
    Yasraena, by Nethrin & Sillara
    Yoshimo Romance, by Lava Del'Vortel
    Yvette, by Lava Del'Vortel

DawgliciousStummvonBordwehr
    isra does have cross mod just not with alot of npcs. she has them with adrian, coran,dace, nephele ,ninde, tiax ,and xan

it should be noted when it comes to cross mod content most npcs tend to only have them with mods from the board they are from. for example all the bg1 npc mods from pocket plane [ coran,tiax,xan, Branwen ] have cross mod with ajantis and kivan's bg2 mod. but ajantis and kivan don't talk to each other for some reason.

and there are 2 bg1 npcs in bg2 npc mods. but the one you want to use is the standalone versons whitch you can find on bg2 compatible mods

this may be what caused thee misunderstanding with kivan earlier.
    Dawglicious
    Mirandel said:

Well, to be fair, that particular crossmod (the main one, thanks for linking it) is quite big, and you can make several different groups out of it. :) Might be enough for OP

Mods currently covered by this project:

Adrian, by Rhaella
    Ajantis (BG2, ToB), by Jastey
    Alassa, by SimDing0
    Amber, by Meira & Darios
    Angelo, by Sister Vigilante
    Aran Whitehand, by cmorgan
    Arath, by K'aeloree
    Auren, by Theacefes
    Branwen, by Kulyok
    Coran, by Kulyok
    Dace, by Tess & K'aeloree
    Darian, by Tempest
    Fade, by Mistress Elysia
    Faren, by Feuille & Miss Sakaki
    Gavin (BG2, ToB), by Berelinde
    Goo, by Ghreyfain
    HaerDalis Romance, by Aeryn
    Haldamir, by Berelinde
    Homeward Bound, by Berelinde
    Hubelpot, by Bookwyrme
    Ilyos, by K'aeloree
    Isra, by Rhaella
    Iylos, by K'aeloree
    Kari the Kobold, by Moongaze
    Kelsey, by JCompton
    Keto, by JCompton & Blue the Immortal Bard
    Kido, by Deathsangel/Moongaze
    Kindrek. by Nethrin
    Kitanya, by Rastor
    Kivan of Shilmista, by Domi
    Laufey's Edwin Romance, by Laufey
    Nathaniel, by Feuille & Miss Sakaki
    Neh'taniel, by Skye & kitanna
    Nephele, by K'aeloree
    Ninde, by Deva & Rhaella
    Petsy Chattertone, by Lava Del'Vortel
    Saerileth, by Nethrin & Sillara
    Sarah, by Theacefes
    Solaufein, by Weimer
    Tales of the Deep Gardens, by Lava Del'Vortel
    Tashia, by Bri & Lord Ernie
    The Longer Road (Irenicus), by Dorotea
    The Luxleys, by Feuille & Miss Sakaki
    Tiax, by Kulyok
    Tsujatha, by Nethrin & Sillara
    Wikaede, by Moongaze
    Willie Bruce
    Xan, by Kulyok
    Xulaye, by K'aeloree, Riviera, & Bookwyrme
    Yasraena, by Nethrin & Sillara
    Yoshimo Romance, by Lava Del'Vortel
    Yvette, by Lava Del'Vortel

The list is impressive, but you need to read the description further down. Like e.g.
    7 banters between Jastey's Ajantis and Kulyok's Xan
    5 banters between Rhaella's Adrian and cmorgan's Aran Whitehand
    But it's probably the best choice under the given restrictions,
    Dawglicious
    there is also faren who has crossmod with most of the well known npc mods.
    Dawglicious
    Thanks for all the advice! A group I am considering running is Adrian, Faren and Foundling, and then just alternating the two free slots as I go. Since the three I plan to keep the whole time seem to have a good amount of cross content with other mod NPCs, I feel like I will get the most interactions out of such a party :)
  • bigdawg2137bigdawg2137 Member Posts: 3
    Solaufein weidu mod is great. Aside from cringy persona of the NPC it really pushes you with the fighting encounters. It really makes you reevaluate your strategies and make you a much better player in the process.
    Balrog99gorgonzolaAngulimala
  • WrathofreccaWrathofrecca Member Posts: 98
    Valen is an interesting mod to experience, if a bit (completely) broken.
    Balrog99
  • AionZ wrote: »
    Well, I'm... flattered that there's anyone that thinks Sirene is that good considering the short amount of development time I put into writing for her and I had just learned how to properly mod at the time.

Sirine is absolutely one of my favorite NPCs.
    megamike15BlackravenStummvonBordwehr
  • gorgonzolagorgonzola Member Posts: 3,864
    i completely agree with @subtledoctor about keto and with @bigdawg2137 about soulafiein, but for that afaik there is no compatibility with the EE edition.

An other npc mod that i like is tashia, a romanceable female elf sorcerer.
    the romance with her has some unique characteristics, you can actually initiate dialogues with her, she has her own quest that is somehow related to the romance, but can be played also without romancing her, that include a good challenging battle.
    I will not spoil on romance and quest, but among the romances i have played this is the one that seems to me more credible, a better approach to what romancing is in rl.
    and to play a sorcerer is fun and powerful.
    she has her personal items, among them a figurine that works like kittix but is quite more powerful, but if you feel it too much op you can simply avoid to use it.
    BlackravenAngulimala