Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Neverwinter Nights: Enhanced Edition has been released! Visit nwn.beamdog.com to make an order. NWN:EE FAQ is available.
Soundtracks for BG:EE, SoD, BG2:EE, IWD:EE, PST:EE are now available in the Beamdog store.
Attention, new and old users! Please read the new rules of conduct for the forums, and we hope you enjoy your stay!

Another kickstarter, inspired by BG, of an RPG game - Project Resurgence

JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 17,492
edited February 2017 in Off-Topic
Post edited by JuliusBorisov on
typo_tillyFinneousPJCrevsDaak

Comments

• the_spyderthe_spyder Member Posts: 5,017
    I like what I see so far. I am not personally a fan of the magic/technology mash-up, but it could be fun. I'll keep an eye on it and see where it goes.

JuliusBorisovtypo_tillyCrevsDaak
  • typo_tillytypo_tilly Member Posts: 5,595
    edited February 2016
    The switch to Unreal 4 from Unity is interesting. I've heard Unity isn't as good for optimisation or options?

Also keep in mind that backers get episode 1 of 5 for backing.

After Pillars of Eternity, I feel burned from crowdfunding RPGs. This game looks like a labour of passion: they're not asking for nearly as much as Obsidian or even HareBrained Schemes. They've made it through a lot of unpaid collaboration. And, really, 160k USD probably doesn't cover that unpaid time for so many people.

I'll think about it. :3 Thanks for the link!

EDIT - Backed it.

Post edited by typo_tilly on
    JuliusBorisovCrevsDaak
    Well, the little project made it. :) It's not much money for an RPG team, but it's another game in this genre to look forward to. :3 Like most other teams, it looks like they're going to set up a continued donation system on their main site later.

I remember when an RPG cost $40-60. We're really getting spoiled with $15-30 games nowadays. c:

JuliusBorisovCrevsDaak
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,438
    It's probably worth noting that the $15-30 price you see on a Kickstarter page isn't the game's eventual retail price. Pillars of Eternity retails at $45, but during the Kickstarter you could get the early bird special for as little as $15.

JuliusBorisovtypo_tillyCrevsDaak
  • simplessimples Member Posts: 539
    looks really nice and super ambitious.

CrevsDaak
    That's true! I didn't much look at the retail price of PoE.

Also, I forgot that in this case, it's $15 for episode 1 of 5. So it'll probably be $50-60 for all 5 if bought one by one.

CrevsDaak
    They've put out a dialogue demo. :) Also, if you backed the game, they've released the backer-only Windows demo if you want to play it instead of watch. I backed it, but I don't have time to play right it.

Their plan is to release episode 1 of the game in February, but it sounds like they may not release until March or April if they decide to clean it up more. In the video, he says episode 1 may have about 3-5 hours of gameplay.

CrevsDaakJuliusBorisov
    They sent out another update. The project folded. The company ran out of money and has been dissolved.

To be honest, I would have thought they would've had more backing in addition to the crowdfunded amount. Not really sure what happened. They had combat working in alpha video when they launched the campaign, and they had the dialogue demo. I don't know about game development, but it feels like they had enough features working to make an episode. Any ideas? I wonder if it was scope creep that caused them to never spend enough time building an episode.

That's 4(?) games I've backed that were never released, although Stellar Tactics is on Steam as early access. :)

FinneousPJKamigoroshiJuliusBorisov
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 4,673

The company ran out of money and has been dissolved

I have exactly three reactions to that sentence:

In that exact order. :expressionless:

JuliusBorisov
    Yeah, they definitely could have posted back in January that they were looking for investors and more funding. Since they were already developing the game on relatively little money (how long can you pay a team with only $180,000?), I expect a trickle of pre-order or patreon funding would have kept them going longer.

JuliusBorisov