Skip to content

Enable multiple romances with Near infinity

Hello!

I'm looking to enable multiple romances in BG2 EE. I'm running version 1.3... on Mac OSX. Near infinity v2.1

I have found the "AerieRomanceActive" variable in near infinity along with other characters, but I don't want to mess up my save game by changing anything. So my question is...

How do I enable multiple romances with near infinity? Do I just have to change this variable, and if so to what value. Finally, is there a resource that might describe these processes in detail for near infinity?

Any help is much appreciated
Thanks in advance!
P

Comments

• Lord_TansheronLord_Tansheron Member Posts: 4,211
    The Tweaks Anthology has a component to allow various romance 'cheats' (including the one you're looking for), though I'm not sure how one would go about doing it manually. In particular, I'm not sure how to keep the multiple romances going, as opposed to having to decide at some point - which, I suppose, is the crux of the matter considering you can start them all in an unmodded game, too, but just have to very soon decide which to purse and which to abandon.
  • pgibbspgibbs Member Posts: 12
    Hi Lord_Tansheron,

Is it possible to install this component of the mod after I have already started a game?

Thanks for the fast response!
    P
  • PaulaMigratePaulaMigrate Member Posts: 1,201
    1) It is not a good idea to install the tweaks feature after you started the game already.
    2) The tweak anthology method creates massive problems with a number of mod-added NPCs and their romances - read carefully the Tweaks readme in case you have romanceable mod NPCs installed.
    3) It is possible to enable multiple romances in-game.
    a) There is no global method, since each romance and their possible conflicts/triggers is coded differently. So this needs to be analyses on a case-to-case basis.
    b) It may be in some cases that you need to do your tweaks before you first meet the NPC and let it join. Again that depends on each case.
    c) Doing the modification normally is not just one change in one file but multiple scripts and dialogues. So only do it if you feel up to such a task.
    Hi PaulaMigrate,

Thanks for the response. I am playing the game completely vanilla. I'm interested in enabling multiple romances only. To your third point: how is this done?
    a) Particularly, I am interested in enabling Aerie and Viconia, but npcs are currently in my party.
    to point c) is there a thread or any documentation that describes this method? I have no idea about near infinity tbh.
    Thanks!
  • CamDawgCamDawg Member, Developer Posts: 3,438

3) It is possible to enable multiple romances in-game.
    a) There is no global method, since each romance and their possible conflicts/triggers is coded differently. So this needs to be analyses on a case-to-case basis.
    b) It may be in some cases that you need to do your tweaks before you first meet the NPC and let it join. Again that depends on each case.
    c) Doing the modification normally is not just one change in one file but multiple scripts and dialogues. So only do it if you feel up to such a task.

The step-by-step process would be essentially the same as installing the mod component. The problem with the default romances is that they'll actively kill off the other romances once they become committed, so it's not as simple as setting a few variables.

The multi-romance cheat relies purely on scripting, so even though it's not really recommended it can be installed on a game in progress.

DreadKhanAerakar
    edited August 2017
    Thanks CamDawg, I'll give it a try and see what happens!

[Edit] Which mod should I be installing? Romantic encounters? Tweak pack with only some components?
    Tweaks Anthology, Romance Cheats component. It'll prompt you for a couple of different options, one of which is Multiple Romances.
    DreadKhan
  • DreadKhanDreadKhan Member Posts: 3,857
    CamDawg said:

Tweaks Anthology, Romance Cheats component. It'll prompt you for a couple of different options, one of which is Multiple Romances.

I find it deliciously ironic you refer to Multiple Romance options specifically as cheating... ;)
    tbone1Aerakar
  • PaulaMigratePaulaMigrate Member Posts: 1,201
    edited August 2017
    For a vanilla game and target Aerie/Viconia the easiest method is the Tweaks component.
    The other option would be to remove some code blocks in the scripts of both NPCs, which is a bit more work. The changes done by any of the two methods can be introduced in the running game as long as none of the two romances has reached the "comitted* stage yet.
    Note - this is specifically for this particular case. My earlier elaboration was a more generic description. Like I said there, it is different for each romance and NPC.
    @CamDawg Much appreciated :)
    @DreadKhan true that lol
    @PaulaMigrate I haven't yet reached that stage with either character so I think it is possible. Thanks for your help.

I'll maybe post any errors I experience here in case others share the same problem.

Thanks everyone!
    DreadKhan said:

CamDawg said:

I find it deliciously ironic you refer to Multiple Romance options specifically as cheating... ;)
    It's not a judgement, I just couldn't think of a better name for the pile of options there. A lot of stuff in Tweaks is outright cheats--heck, that whole section is labeled Convenience Tweaks and/or Cheats--and several of them are staples in my games.
  • DreadKhanDreadKhan Member Posts: 3,857
    No judgement intended, I just find it funny. ;)
  • Lord_TansheronLord_Tansheron Member Posts: 4,211
    edited August 2017
    CamDawg said:

It's not a judgement, I just couldn't think of a better name for the pile of options there. A lot of stuff in Tweaks is outright cheats--heck, that whole section is labeled Convenience Tweaks and/or Cheats--and several of them are staples in my games.

I don't think it was the game kind of cheating that was meant there ;) More the, you know, dating someone while in a relationship with someone else kind.

CamDawg said:

I don't think it was the game kind of cheating that was meant there ;) More the, you know, dating someone while in a relationship with someone else kind.
    Oh, duh, never occurred to me. Suddenly everything makes a lot more sense.