Skip to content

Where are the main data files for BG-EE stored?

Hi,

I've been trying to locate the data files for BG-EE with no luck! All I can find are some .bif files. Could someone tell me where they are located?

Thanks a lot
Dave

Comments

• elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    Depends on the computer/OS but

program files/Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition

is typically where the main folder is. So depending on what you are looking for they should be in there (save game files are located typically in an offshoot of your documents folder).
  • LookToWindwardLookToWindward Member Posts: 179
    edited March 2014
    Sorry, I should have said, I'm on a Mac. I've found the save files and the exported character files. I'm not sure what I'm looking for, but I assumed/expected there would be a lot of character, and scene, script etc. files, but all I can find is .bif. I'm wondering if this is all compressed into the bif files?
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited March 2014
    On a mac (at least for my mac) the main folder would be applications -> baldur's gate enhanced edition - > Game Data -> 00774 -> right click Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition.app and choose "Show Package Contents" -> Contents -> Resources

I'm not a computer expert by any means but this is probably going to be around where you will find what you are looking for.

Also there is a program called Near Infinity that makes looking up a bunch of the different game files a bit easier.
    I don't have a folder called "Game Data" or "0774" inside the App bundle or anywhere else for that matter. Maybe this is because I bought my copy from the Mac App Store? I have Contents/Resources/Data, but there are just .bif files in that folder.

• balrog1balrog1 Member Posts: 2
    Man I wish someone had answered LookToWindward all those years ago. All there is in my resources folder are bif as well. Why in the heck are we forced to bang our heads against a wall just to find where the bloody files are!
  • AstroBryGuyAstroBryGuy Member Posts: 3,437
    The BIF files are archives that hold the game's data files. Use a program like NearInfinty to view the contents of the archives.

https://github.com/NearInfinityBrowser/NearInfinity/wiki
  • PaulaMigratePaulaMigrate Member Posts: 1,201
    Near Infinity is THE tool to open (and eventually modify) all the game files, edit savegames, even repair errors when needed. Easy to use and intuitive. Its many features are. well *near infinite*.
    See link in @AstroBryGuy 's post above.
    (Requires java).
    Hi,

Has anyone tried NearInfinity on MacOS 10.14.6 (Mojave) ? I downloaded and installed it, first time it asked me to download Java, which I did. I launched it again (or maybe it was still running) and I got a selection list which showed the contents of /Applications, I select BG1:EE from it and now, nothing......

All I get is a menu bar with the Near Infinity menu and all I can do it "About this App".

I'm using NI V2.1-20180615.

Thanks a lot for any help.

All the Best
    Dave