Skip to content

Anomen illegal wisdom score

Anyone noticed this? Isn't he required to have 17 wisdom for dual-class fighter/cleric?

Comments

• jsavingjsaving Member Posts: 1,083
    True, though he's not the only one (for example Minsc doesn't meet the ranger's wisdom prerequisite).
  • CvijetaCvijeta Member Posts: 417
    And Aerie, Elven cleric/mage - she should be either human dual-class or half-elf.
  • ZaramMaldovarZaramMaldovar Member Posts: 2,309
    @Cvijeta
    Dude, there are illegal stats everywhere, don't look too much into it.
    ThacoBellArtona
  • DreadKhanDreadKhan Member Posts: 3,857
    Iirc, Anomen is not yet operating at his full potential... perhaps like Minsc's head injury, life stress made Anomen less wise than he was?
  • megamike15megamike15 Member Posts: 2,666
    you also got to remember this is a video game so they played fast and loose with the dnd rules.
    Shikao
  • ArctodusArctodus Member Posts: 992

Literally every Bioware NPC has one feature that is illegal. Except maybe Nalia. And Alora and Edwin. So those three just get ridiculously powerful unstoppable items instead - at which point, isn't it really just part of their person? And then they fit the pattern.

It's all true, except for Garrick. Garrick got nothing from Bioware (heck, even Eldoth got himself free poison arrows). Why no love for Garrick ? Poor Garrick.
    Zaghoul
  • ErinneErinne Member Posts: 151
    Is it true, actually? I'm pretty sure there's nothing illegal about Montaron and Xzar, for example. They both have legit ability scores and race/class combination, and no special abilities or equipment. I also can't think of anything off the top of my head that's illegal about Ajantis, Imoen, Khalid, Kivan, Neera, Shar-Teel or Skie - though some of them I haven't really played with much, so it's entirely possible I'm missing something.
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    Arctodus said:

Literally every Bioware NPC has one feature that is illegal. Except maybe Nalia. And Alora and Edwin. So those three just get ridiculously powerful unstoppable items instead - at which point, isn't it really just part of their person? And then they fit the pattern.

It's all true, except for Garrick. Garrick got nothing from Bioware (heck, even Eldoth got himself free poison arrows). Why no love for Garrick ? Poor Garrick.
    Because Garrick is overpowered as it is. Strongest NPC in the game.
    Arctodus[Deleted User]
  • ArtonaArtona Member Posts: 1,077
    I think "literally" is almost never used literally. :>
    ShikaoBalrog99
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • WarChiefZekeWarChiefZeke Member Posts: 2,651
    ThacoBell said:

Arctodus said:

Because Garrick is overpowered as it is. Strongest NPC in the game.
    Brave, brave Sir Garrick...
    Balrog99Arctodus[Deleted User]Montresor_SP
  • 11302101130210 Member Posts: 381
    In my opinion, this was an oversight of the developers and, if they'd have known about it at the time, they'd have fixed it.
  • CvijetaCvijeta Member Posts: 417
    But, but... What about his personal quest?
  • karl_maulderkarl_maulder Member Posts: 133
    edited August 2017

Literally every Bioware NPC has one feature that is illegal.

Not only the NPCs, but also a lot of bosses in both ToB and BG uses illegal classes, or have inadequate stats. Slythe is a multiclassed Fighter/Thief with weird stats. Gromnir Ill Khan is a Kensai that can use Platemail, and he's not the only Kensai that can use platemail, at least two more bosses in ToB uses the same template, Tamoko and a drow warrior in Sendai's enclave. The last boss is a 30/30 mage/cleric, which means one class should be inactive. And that's not even counting the bosses that are immune to time stop.
    tbone1Grond0ThacoBell
  • ArthasArthas Member Posts: 1,091
    Gromnir is just a thief with HLA, can't you see it past his stats? *sarcasm*
  • squirossquiros Member Posts: 32

there's an item in bg2 that will periodically lower your charisma permanently. and this is actually stated, minsc sustained a head injury which lowered his wisdom. so all the scores are not 'illegal' - they are part of stuff that happened to the character along the way.
    why is it always int or wis? wouldn't a physical sport demonstrate the same? yes! it does! people who take up boxing (with gloves) all sustain massive brain damage that affects memory loss, cognitive function and spacial perception. what you're seeing is characters living life.
    furthermore, that's on top of the aforementioned items that do it. wouldn't there logically be other magical items with a hidden stat drain?
    i know this isn't real life, but if an adventurer eventually became a beggar - would you still expect him to be 18/00 strength at age 80?
    there are many ways to lose stats permanently. those characters likely qualified to their profession with sufficient stats, but then life got in the way.
    tbone1
  • fatelessfateless Member Posts: 330
    Most versions of D&D actually had an age chart and over about middle age you started losing physical stats but gaining mental stats to some extent. So you likely wouldn't be that super human strength at old age. (80 is only old age for a couple of races)
    Arctodus
  • tbone1tbone1 Member Posts: 1,985
    fateless said:

Most versions of D&D actually had an age chart and over about middle age you started losing physical stats but gaining mental stats to some extent.

My own experience is that the latter is questionable at best.

ThacoBellMontresor_SPmf2112
    tbone1 said:

fateless said:

Most versions of D&D actually had an age chart and over about middle age you started losing physical stats but gaining mental stats to some extent.

My own experience is that the latter is questionable at best.

In 3.x your hearing and vision actually improve with age. :/
  • luskanluskan Member Posts: 269
    There is a huge difference between hearing you vs listening to what you're saying; looking at you vs seeing you.
    ShikaoMontresor_SP
  • darkmoon500darkmoon500 Member Posts: 25
    edited August 2017
    Don't forget to mention how we can't be drow like vicona or the fact that haer'dalis is a tiefling, I could care less that they have special abilities that's fair because the main player is gets extra abilities and gets to roll there own stats, the npc stats aren't that great anyways, maybe the game was horribly unblanced after they made it and had to fix it real quick, and bumped up a few stats just to make it more balanced, maybe that was just the fastest and easiest way
    Its actually fairly hard the first time through, even if some people can solo SCS with a baked potatoe. :p I wonder if thats part of why the BG2 npcs are generally given better stats? BG1 was a bit harsh on newbies?
    StummvonBordwehr