Skip to content

How do you pronounce "Charname"?

2»

Comments

• Montresor_SPMontresor_SP Member Posts: 2,208
    Yulaw9460 said:

tbone1 said:

English drifted wildly after 1066

A lot of us Danes still consider English a muddled form of separatist-speak.
    English actually becomes more "Danish", the further north you go in Great Britain. For example, the Scottish words "Bairn" (pronounced almost like "Barn") for a child, or "Kirk" for a church. :smile:
    StummvonBordwehr
  • clovis_sangrailclovis_sangrail Member Posts: 4
    I do not pronounce "Charname" because I would never use it in conversation. I may write it occasionally, but I limit its use to when quoting someone else.

What is wrong with "character"? Why do we need to coin a new word?

Mirandel
  • MirandelMirandel Member Posts: 526

I do not pronounce "Charname" because I would never use it in conversation. I may write it occasionally, but I limit its use to when quoting someone else.

What is wrong with "character"? Why do we need to coin a new word?

I suspect it came from modding, where CHARNAME is a variable in scripts.
  • Papa_LouPapa_Lou Member Posts: 263
    I've always pronounced it car-name and never gave it a second thought until coming across this thread ... The brain is weird.
    AndreaColomboShikaoMontresor_SP
  • Son_of_ImoenSon_of_Imoen Member Posts: 1,806
    Even though I dislike cars, I always pronounce Charname as car-name. In short, Carrie (the only car I know that has a name).
    Montresor_SP
  • DreadKhanDreadKhan Member Posts: 3,857

Even though I dislike cars, I always pronounce Charname as car-name. In short, Carrie (the only car I know that has a name).

What about General Lee, the vehicle of Good Ol' Boys everywhere?
    Montresor_SPPapa_Lou
    Oh yes
    DreadKhan said:

What about General Lee, the vehicle of Good Ol' Boys everywhere?
    Oh yes, memories of my youth. The Dukes of Hazzard. Heee-haa!
    DreadKhanMontresor_SP
  • Grond0Grond0 Member Posts: 7,305
    Well if we're looking back to our youths, then how about Chitty Chitty Bang Bang?

I've had a quick look through and haven't noticed anyone suggesting pronouncing Charname using the first syllable from character followed by -name. That may be because (like me) others aren't sure how to write that phonetically and perhaps some of those suggesting the slightly different care-name would actually pronounce it the same way as me (and perhaps not ...)
    Montresor_SP
  • CalemyrCalemyr Member Posts: 238
    Personally, I refer to the main character as "The Scion", because they are ultimately the true heir to Bhaal, the one that rises up to decide the fate of the Bhaalspawn Saga and their siblings.

That said, I do sometimes name my character Charname, pronouncing it SHAR-nah-meh in my head, particularly if I'm going to do Neera's quests in BG2EE, just so they get the name right on my mug. That's important. Works pretty well if you're going for an eastern style character (not a real name, of course, but...) or if you're pairing yourself with Viconia just because you have Shar in the name.
    Montresor_SP
    Calemyr said:

Personally, I refer to the main character as "The Scion", because they are ultimately the true heir to Bhaal, the one that rises up to decide the fate of the Bhaalspawn Saga and their siblings.

That said, I do sometimes name my character Charname, pronouncing it SHAR-nah-meh in my head, particularly if I'm going to do Neera's quests in BG2EE, just so they get the name right on my mug. That's important. Works pretty well if you're going for an eastern style character (not a real name, of course, but...) or if you're pairing yourself with Viconia just because you have Shar in the name.

You can also play a mage or sorcerer, get the Planar Sphere for your stronghold and get your apprentices to create the Dagger of Charname. :smile:
    CalemyrStummvonBordwehr
  • CalemyrCalemyr Member Posts: 238
    Heh. Well, my current character is a Red Dragon Disciple, so I'll be doing just that.
    ShikaoMontresor_SP
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    I go with care-name, which is odd because I pronounce Chara from Undertale as char-ruh. But that's because Chara is a name, while Charname is a placeholder.
    Montresor_SP
  • ChnapyChnapy Member Posts: 360
    edited August 2017
    i always went with tcharneym, since i've always pronounced the char data type tchar, which as far as i can tell is the norm in france, or sometimes shar (but that's just to try and confuse the quebecois).
    Montresor_SPPapa_Loutbone1
    Chnapy said:

i always went with tcharneym, since i've always pronounced the char data type tchar, which as far as i can tell is the norm in france, or sometimes shar (but that's just to try and confuse the quebecois).

Another question is: how do you pronounce 'Chnapy'?

I always go for Shneppee - e as in get, ee as in thee, with emphasis on the first syllable
    Montresor_SP
  • Papa_LouPapa_Lou Member Posts: 263
    Chnapy said:

(but that's just to try and confuse the quebecois).

That made me chuckle.
    Chnapytbone1

Chnapy said:

I always go for Shneppee - e as in get, ee as in thee, with emphasis on the first syllable
    I'd say "schna-pi" (long, stressed first syllable with the "a" pronounce as in "hard").
    ChnapyStummvonBordwehr

Chnapy said:

I'd say "schna-pi" (long, stressed first syllable with the "a" pronounce as in "hard").
    Yes, that's the other, more cute version I had in mind: with the "a", I just couldn't come up with an english word with that vowel, but hard has indeed the sound I had in mind.
  • profanitywarningprofanitywarning Member Posts: 294
    I'd go for Tchnaa-pee with the aa the way the French and Germans pronounce it.
  • ChnapyChnapy Member Posts: 360
    edited August 2017
    Montresor has it right! or not, it's not like i own the own the name or anything.
    (I may be be wearing a shirt printed with it right now though)
    Montresor_SPStummvonBordwehrSon_of_Imoen
  • Garvin77Garvin77 Member Posts: 52
    edited November 2017
    Isn't 'ch' in French pronounced the same as 'sh' in English? 'Cause I think I'm seeing arguments against that pronunciation . . .

Anyway, I like 'car-name'. I would go with 'care-name' (since CHARNAME is developer code for [Player] Character's Name), but it just sounds so . . . girly (no offence intended, ladies!).
    Montresor_SP