Skip to content

Looking for a modern/SF PC RPG

GawainBSGawainBS Member Posts: 523
Heyhey,

Currently playing & enjoying The Witcher 3, but I want something else on the side, so hence the title. I'm looking for an RPG (or Tactical RPG, or Action RPG) with pretty detailed mechanics & statistics and gear options. The below ones I've already played:

Fallout 1 & 2 & Tactics & NV. (I like to pretent 3 & 4 never happened.)
Mass Effect series.
Alpha Protocol. (Love it, but played it around 9 times. Still awesome.)
The Division. (No one around to play the 1-30 content.)
Deus Ex Series.
XCom reboot.
Borderlands 1 & 2.
Secret World.
STALKER. (Not played it, but since the no-repair mod doesn't work for me, I didn't bother. I hate repair mechanics.)
Shadowrun Returns.
KOTOR I & II.
Tombraider reboots.
Wasteland 2.

If there are any suggestions, I'd like to hear them. Thanks in advance!
Shikao[Deleted User]O_Bruce

Comments

• ShikaoShikao Member Posts: 376
    Here is some of (a)RPGs I played or have on my to-play list:
    • Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning
    • Darsiders series
    • Dragons Dogma
    • Risen series
    • God Eater 2
    • Legend of Grimrock
    • Planescape Torment EE
    • Mars: War Logs + The Technomancer
    [Deleted User]
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    You could try Sword of the Stars: The Pit. Its a sci-fi themed roguelike and pretty darn fun.
    [Deleted User]
  • ArdanisArdanis Member Posts: 1,736
    Restricted Area - Diablo clone. Low budget, rough edges and a bit buggy, but unlike many other clones feels closer to the original.
    Hellgate London - iirc no longer available (unless on eBay or somewhere). Been re-launched as Hellgate Global MMO or something, but that's Korean.
    [Deleted User]
  • GawainBSGawainBS Member Posts: 523
    edited August 2017
    Ah, yes, I played Hellgate too. It was pretty ok, but as you said, sadly no longer available.
    I have no intrests in roguelikes. They're not my cup of tea.
    I'll look into Restricted Area, thanks!

Any other suggestions? Please, no fantasy-titles, I got plenty of those.
    [Deleted User]
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    • UnderRail would fit the bill. It's like the Fallout 3 which Black Isle never released.
    • Torment: Tides of Numenera is probably one of the best sci-fi CRPG's out there.
    • Vampire: The Masquerade: Bloodlines could quelch your thirst for an ARPG set in modern times.
    • And, of course, Arcanum Multiverse Edition: Of Steamworks and Magick Obscura, with its fusion of science and magic.
    • The Star Ocean JRPG franchise is another fine choice. Especially the first (plus its PSP remake) and second entry of the series are rather well done.
    ThacoBell[Deleted User]
    UnderRail: started it, but hated the total dependency on RNG.
    Torment: despite adoring its spiritual predecessor, this one couldn't captivate me. The game mechanics weren't that great and I found the writing bordersome self-agrandising.
    Vampire TMBL: should have mentioned that one too. Played it a lot, awesome game.
    Arcanum: Same as Vampire.
    Star Ocean: I played one of them, it was ok. Apart from Final Fantasy, not a terrible JRPG fan.
    [Deleted User]
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • bob_vengbob_veng Member Posts: 2,308
    edited September 2017
    try mount & blade: a clash of kings
    it's light on written content and a bit grindy, but it has a great atmosphere, and it's definitely "tactical" :D

edit: oops no fantasy, didn't notice...
    Post edited by bob_veng on
    [Deleted User]
  • SkatanSkatan Member, Moderator Posts: 5,352
    edited September 2017
    I know you said no fantasy, but even though PoE is a pretty standard RPG, Tyranny is not. Tyranny had it's shortcomings, as all games do, but it also had some very interresting features and was one of the first games in a long time which I played from start to end without losing interest or mixing in other games in between. For me, it was a very fresh experience and I especially loved the magic system where I got to 'build' spells. I also, of course, loved the idea that the world is not black and white and I am not a generic hero protagonist.

I haven't tried them myself yet, but I started reading the Metro 2033 books and liked them so I plan to buy those games soon. I believe they are dystopic future FPS with RPG elements, but I don't know for sure. Your list of games seem to indicate you are open for suggestions that are not pure RPGs anyways.

I bought on Lionheart on GOG in a sudden impact of nostalgia and played it for a while. Didn't follow through since it was more hack n'slash than I remembered, but it's not a bad game. It's fantasy as well, but with a twist since it's using Earth's history but with added dimensions. It must be modded to HD though to be playable nowadays, at least for me. I didn't mod it and it was hard to see anything on that low resolution and I kept getting attacked by mobs outside my vision, heh.. The game is fairly hard as well since you have no henchmens and the enemies can be quite strong at times.

I concur on Shadowrun Hong Kong. Haven't played the older games, but I liked this one a lot. Also, the music is amazing and I still listen to that soundtrack on Spotify a lot.

Edit: Forgot to write out System Shock / Bioshock. They have some minor RPG elements and though I don't like them myself, a lot of ppl do.
    Post edited by Skatan on
    [Deleted User]
    Another sci-fi RPG would be Songbringer. I haven't got the chance to try it out yet. But it seems kind of like the space adventures of an Musician/Bard.

That in itself is already not the standard setting for RPG's. Let alone its pixel style. Might be worth a look or two.
    [Deleted User]
    I've noticed StarCrawlers recently, good catch.
    With Shadowrun Returns, I also included Dragonfall & HKG. Loving HKG the most for the moment, as the Matrix is more managable there. It got boring pretty fast in Dragonfall. SR:R indeed is a bit bland.
    [Deleted User]
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    Dark Souls 1, 2, 3. Amazing Action RPGs.
    [Deleted User]
  • unavailableunavailable Member Posts: 268
    the 2017 prey is about as RPG as Deus Ex. Pretty good story too. Amazing gameplay as usual from Arkane.
    [Deleted User]
    edited September 2017
    i didn't like prey. slow start and very sterile atmosphere.
    i like prey (2006) tho lol
    ThacoBell

Dark Souls 1, 2, 3. Amazing Action RPGs.

Except pretty Fantasy-setting. ;-)

Hhmmm. Prey might be a good option, but as said, it does look sterile and "same-ish".

Considering 2033/2034, as I loved the books, but how much of the game is shooter & how much is RPG? (In this case, I consider mechanical character development as "RPG".)
    I would call Metro just a shooter.
    KamigoroshiSkatan
    That's what I suspected.
    be sure to pick it up, it's amazing. although it is a pure fps game, calling it "just a shooter" somehow doesn't do it justice
    SkatanThacoBell
    We could also call Metro a shooter amongst shooters. Or an shooter franchise with an actual interesting plot. Or an horror survival with free roaming, FPS combat and a handful of scarcely placed dialogue choices. But definitely not what I would call RPG material though.
    SkatanThacoBell
  • WesboiWesboi Member Posts: 403
    System shock

We could also call Metro a shooter amongst shooters. Or an shooter franchise with an actual interesting plot. Or an horror survival with free roaming, FPS combat and a handful of scarcely placed dialogue choices. But definitely not what I would call RPG material though.

hey i remembered, there's a morality system though. makes it more of a true roleplaying experience than diablo for sure
    Not quite. That would make it more of a true adventure game experience than anything. The Longest Journey, Dreamfall: The Longest Journey as well as Dreamfall Chapters also all utilize a similar system and cannot be said to be part of the RPG genre.

Apropos The Longest Journey franchise: while they are your usual point & click adventure games, half of their world building involves futuristic sci-fi. This is especially true with Dreamfall Chapters.
    Please, don't let this devolve into "What is an RPG" discussion. For my purposes here, I consider an RPG every game where you have influence & choice over your character's mechanical progression.
    @GawainBS Depending on what you mean by "mechanical" Metro may still fit. You don't level up, but playstyle and equipment play a large part. Hulking engine of shooty death? Sure, pop on some heavy armor and murder your way through. Sneaky assassin type? Pop on a sneaking suit and go undetected.
    ThacoBell said:

@GawainBS Depending on what you mean by "mechanical" Metro may still fit. You don't level up, but playstyle and equipment play a large part. Hulking engine of shooty death? Sure, pop on some heavy armor and murder your way through. Sneaky assassin type? Pop on a sneaking suit and go undetected.

Alright, that comes closer. But "leveling up" is a huge plus in my book. :smile:
    ThacoBell
    GawainBS said:

ThacoBell said:

Alright, that comes closer. But "leveling up" is a huge plus in my book. :smile:
    Then in that case, no. But that does help clarify what you are looking for.
  • ShikaoShikao Member Posts: 376
    @GawainBS, do you mean something like for example Assassin's Creed where you learn new skills as you progress in story?
    Shikao said:

@GawainBS, do you mean something like for example Assassin's Creed where you learn new skills as you progress in story?

Yes, something akin to that. Or, of course, basic level ups are fine as well. Currently finishing SR:HKG, which is my favourite by far. It has a by far better pacing of action, Matrix and investigation.
    How sci-fi are you looking for? Does it just need some advanced tech, or does the setting need to be spacey? Also, feelings on MMOs?
    There's also ELEX coming out on October 17th. Which kinda seems like an sci-fi RPG with Fallout Raiders, D&D Warlocks and Warhammer 40K Space Marines as joinable factions. Judging by its trailer, that is.