Skip to content

Age of Empires 4 thread

elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
Trailer

JuliusBorisovbatoor

Comments

• JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    I couldn't really believe when I read about the announcement. It seems unreal to finally hear about a game which will follow AoE, AoE 2 and AoE 3.

I hope the game can live up to its name. It will be difficult to please today's market.
    elminsterGusinda
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    Huh, the game, just like AoE: DE, will be Windows 10 exclusive. That's a bummer!
    elminster
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315

Huh, the game, just like AoE: DE, will be Windows 10 exclusive. That's a bummer!

Here is hoping Microsoft comes to its senses and backtracks on this. But they may not.
    JuliusBorisov
  • jjstraka34jjstraka34 Member Posts: 9,850
    elminster said:

Here is hoping Microsoft comes to its senses and backtracks on this. But they may not.
    Not releasing the game on Steam seems insane, especially considering how popular the Age of Empires 2 HD version has been on that service, to the point that new expansions are still being made for it.
    elminsterJuliusBorisov
  • batoorbatoor Member Posts: 676
    edited August 2017
    Hmm I never played the third game, but the first two are.. well something else. It might better for the industry to stop cashing in on the nostalgia train and well create something new for once..I mean it won't be easy at all, but I'm sure there are ambitious ideas out thereT_T

How has windows 10 been or people here anyway? I've heard some mixed things from friends, but eventually I'll have to change anyway..That will be a sad day...R.I.P windows 7 :/
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited August 2017
    The third game was a very mid-late 2000s RTS. It was 3d, removed randomized maps, had fixed starting locations, had I think 14 civs (with expansions) that were more individually unique than in previous AoE games. It also has basically a level system (through a home city) that lets you get better bonuses/bonus units.

It also didn't try to be remotely historic. So it's campaigns felt a lot like the cheesy campaigns of age of mythology or rise of legends.

Also it simplified some things like repair (for buildings this made it so that instead of involving villagers just involves clicking a button after clicking on a building, while for ships it meant you just needed to keep them near a dock).

Anyways, it wasn't all bad. But hopefully AoE4 goes back to its roots and takes some lessons from AoE3.
    Post edited by elminster on
    batoorJuliusBorisov
    Age of Empires IV Gameplay trailer to be shown at XO19, November 14th

https://www.gamestar.de/artikel/age-of-empires-4-endlich-gameplay,3348090.html
    elminsterhaiduk