Skip to content

D&D games on sale at GOG

themazingnessthemazingness Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 702
edited August 2017 in Off-Topic
D&D games are on sale at GOG.com right now. Just thought I'd give the PSA.

Edit: I thought it was all, but apparently it's just the old DOS games, many of which are still great games.
Post edited by themazingness on

Comments

• Balrog99Balrog99 Member Posts: 7,367

Edit: I thought it was all, but apparently it's just the old DOS games, many of which are still great games.

I think I'm going to buy the old Gold Box games and stroll down Memory Lane!
  • jjstraka34jjstraka34 Member Posts: 9,850
    Balrog99 said:

I think I'm going to buy the old Gold Box games and stroll down Memory Lane!
    I would recommend picking up the Eye of the Beholder, Dark Sun, and Ravenloft packs as well, just to have them. For less than $30 you can get the entire SSI D&D catalog during the sales. Even having all the manuals and clue books to those games in PDF form that come with as extras as worth that price imo, even if you never get a chance to play them.
  • themazingnessthemazingness Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 702

I would recommend picking up the Eye of the Beholder, Dark Sun, and Ravenloft packs as well, just to have them. For less than $30 you can get the entire SSI D&D catalog during the sales. Even having all the manuals and clue books to those games in PDF form that come with as extras as worth that price imo, even if you never get a chance to play them.

Yeah, I got these during another sale, and I'm glad. I played Dungeon Hack like crazy as a kid. I've always been a big fan of Roguelikes, and I wish somebody would make a new game like it. There are a few games like it on Android, and I've played them, but they are proper RPGs like the Eye of the Beholder games.

Many of the games are great that are up on sale. I've played all the way through the Ravenloft games, al-Qadim, Menzoberranzan, and Pool of Radiance, and I'd recommend them all. I've tinkered with all the rest except Stronghold. The only one I'd say you might as well ignore playing is Hillsfar. It's mostly pointless.
  • ArctodusArctodus Member Posts: 992
    Done and done ! I bought all FR Archive Collection, Krynn series, Ravenloft series, Dark Sun series and even Al-Qadim. Everything work on a Mac. Costed 21$. Yup, that's a deal.
  • FardragonFardragon Member Posts: 4,511
    I think Hillfar is worth a look. Whenever you feel like slagging off a game for being awful you can think of Hillsfar and realise it could have been much much worse.
  • jjstraka34jjstraka34 Member Posts: 9,850
    Fardragon said:

I think Hillfar is worth a look. Whenever you feel like slagging off a game for being awful you can think of Hillsfar and realise it could have been much much worse.

Hillsfar seems like the video game version of a Renaissance Fair. Oddly enough, I believe you could level up your Pool of Radiance characters before bringing them to Curse of the Azure Bonds, but I have no idea how that works. Hillsfar isn't a proper game, much less a proper RPG. It's included, but I'm never, ever going to play it.
  • themazingnessthemazingness Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 702

Fardragon said:

Hillsfar seems like the video game version of a Renaissance Fair. Oddly enough, I believe you could level up your Pool of Radiance characters before bringing them to Curse of the Azure Bonds, but I have no idea how that works. Hillsfar isn't a proper game, much less a proper RPG. It's included, but I'm never, ever going to play it.
    Yeah, it was a game with a bunch of game modes that could be interesting but ultimately fall short. If they had done everything well and made it a part of a proper RPG too, I think it could have been good.
  • AnduinAnduin Member Posts: 5,745
    Fardragon said:

I'm playing this next. I'm just finishing Pools of Radiance.