Skip to content

Good 'n' Evil

Hello there.

I'm new to Baldur's Gate and still green on a lot of things despite completing the game on normal once.

Does anybody know what happens if you roll a Blackguard (or any class that's inherently evil) and do only good deeds? Do you suffer penalties or can you somehow roleplay your butt out of evil and thus have a more interesting experience?

I will be grateful for insight into this matter.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• ShikaoShikao Member Posts: 376
    edited August 2017
    Unfortunately BG series clearly steers you towards being good, because of how reputation system works. There are no penalties for being good (as in high rep) for good or evil characters, being evil (as in low rep) on the other hand is quite bad for all characters =/
    Post edited by Shikao on
    darko1beamdogArtonaThacoBell
  • darko1beamdogdarko1beamdog Member Posts: 31
    Thanks for the reply.

So does the reputation system work independantly of alignment, or do you, after doing good deeds as a Blackguard for instance, automatically "raise" your alignment to the neutral or even good ones?
  • PaulaMigratePaulaMigrate Member Posts: 1,201
    edited August 2017
    My opinion on this may differ from others, but I always felt about it like this
    - the *evil* that is in your character is mostly how others see you. You are drow or Blackguard or a red wizard from Thay - or bhaalspawn >>> so you are evil.

It is always part of at least my roleplay to have a character who *appears* evil but still can do the *right* things.
    If you play the trilogy to the very end, to the ToB finale, you will see that in the end it's your decisions and your way you chose through the game that counts, not some setting that has a lot to do with prejudice.
    Also, the game is not very consequentual in applying that good or evil concept. A PC killing innocents and getting a bad reputation may be evil or he may just be stupid. Evil may be the good-doer who is a wolf in sheeps clothing, while the openly acting villain is just so stupid as let public opinion grow against him.

Evil or good is how others feel about you and may have little or nothing to do with how you conduct yourself. Just the other way round, nothing prevents a lawful good character to drench the Sword Coast is blood.
    darko1beamdogKuselBleriot
    Thanks very much for the comment, PaulaMigrate.

I was under the impression that the alignment system was just a way to limit your conduct in accordance to what the descriptions state.
    This was further backed by certain evil characters leaving my group after I've hit some "good" threshold, reputation-wise.

• ShikaoShikao Member Posts: 376

Thanks for the reply.

So does the reputation system work independantly of alignment, or do you, after doing good deeds as a Blackguard for instance, automatically "raise" your alignment to the neutral or even good ones?

As far as I know there are no option to 'raise' your alignment for CHARNAME, but the opposite is possible in SoD.
    Planescape Torment has it much better imo - you start as True Neutral and your alignment changes accordingly to your deeds.
    darko1beamdog
  • GrumGrum Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,100
    It means nothing for the class. I once played a Blackguard who was like Vhailor. Purge all evil. Ended up with 20 rep with no issue. Killed Winski at the end and took a rep nose dive. Neither made any mechanical difference
    Shikaodarko1beamdogArctodus
    Thanks for shedding light on the subject, everybody. Really appreciate it.
    Have a very nice day.
  • jsavingjsaving Member Posts: 1,083
    If you want to play a game where actions affect alignment, you might consider taking a look at PST EE.
    darko1beamdogtbone1
    jsaving said:

If you want to play a game where actions affect alignment, you might consider taking a look at PST EE.

Thanks. I'll definitely check it out once it's on a GOG sale.
  • tbone1tbone1 Member Posts: 1,985
    Remember, being evil does not always mean doing the evil thing. Maybe you don't want your village overrun by orcs. Maybe by saving a child from kidnappers you are treated like a hero, which is more suited to your long-term purposes.

Unfortunately, computers insist on clear, well-defined ideas so the improvisation that is required with PnP can't always translate to a game.

And at least there IS a system which checks actions vs alignment, however flawed it may be.
    ThacoBellShikaodarko1beamdog
  • fatelessfateless Member Posts: 330
    edited August 2017
    Tbone has a point.

Keep in mind that Sarevok is quite evil but for much of the BG story he's actually seen by the masses more as a semi-benevolent merchant or kind of a hero type working hard to come to the rescue of the tormented city with nobody realizing he's causing much of that torment.
    ThacoBellShikaodarko1beamdog
    edited August 2017
    fateless said:

Tbone has a point.

Keep in mind that Sarevok is quite evil but for much of the BG story he's actually seen by the masses more as a semi-benevolent merchant or kind of a hero type working hard to come to the rescue of the tormented city with nobody realizing he's causing much of that torment.

I personally think the karma system in Fallout is better. Or the flexible alignment system in PST EE which changes according to your actions (as mentioned by jsaving).

It may only be a box of text, but it goes a long way. Especially for someone as pedantic and OCD-ridden as I am.
    I dislike the idea of having "evil" (or good) pinned to your character sheet regardless of whether you act like it or not. It makes it seem precisely as you and tbone1 said - in terms of character motivation.
    And the fact that the alignment doesn't change with your actions could very well hint to all of your behavior conforming to your transparent or concealed long term "goal", which is in line with your characters moral compass (aka alignment).
    The problem with this is that there's no apparent room for change within a character.

Of course there are exceptions to the non-alignment change rule in BG II - Viconia and Sarevok.
    My opinion is that they should have extended this kind of influence your character may have on others to every companion.
    The ability to corrupt or enlighten someone would add to the overall depth, I believe, further strenghtening the bond your character has with the ones you recruit.

This is just an opinion and I know it's not going to happen, but I appreciate the discussion and views others might have on the subject matter.
    Post edited by darko1beamdog on