Skip to content

A new forum feature: an ingame "no character portrait" sign instead of random avatars

JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,725
Yesterday I've noticed that new users who haven't installed their own pictures as avatars get an ingame "no character portrait" sign instead of random avatars:

I don't know whether it's a good idea, though: while getting something BG related is nice, the fact that all forumites without own pictures have the same avatar is strange.

For example, I've got used to @lunar having an orange avatar, @abacus - a blue one and @FinneousPJ - a green one. And now they all have the same portrait.

Comments

• abacusabacus Member Posts: 1,307
    How about now?

I quite liked my little insane smiley though...
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,725
    Well, maybe it'll force more people to choose their own pictures, which is not a bad thing...

Because it's hard to undestand who are many of these people:

• FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    Nooooo I loved my avatar
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,725
    Hmm... Somehow @FinneousPJ ' avatar is still here:) How did you manage to keep it?:)
  • abacusabacus Member Posts: 1,307
    Great work @FinneousPJ... Quite happy with my new one though... a friend's interpretation of Pratchett's "Rising Ape".
  • lunarlunar Member Posts: 3,460
    I...I loved my orange avatar! It was the cool guy I never was. Waah.
  • NimranNimran Member Posts: 4,875
    @lunar I think you're cool.
  • lunarlunar Member Posts: 3,460
    Nimran said:

@lunar I think you're cool.

Hey thank you! You are so kind! :)
  • CalmarCalmar Member Posts: 688
    I think those random avatars were rather pretty. A unique avatar for people who do not (yet) like to chose a picture.
  • Son_of_ImoenSon_of_Imoen Member Posts: 1,806
    Thanks bengoshi for posting the solution to get your 'own' avatar back. I really liked my quite mad crosses-for-eyes.
  • Son_of_ImoenSon_of_Imoen Member Posts: 1,806
    The madness - it's back! Now more photogenic than ever!

https://forums.beamdog.com/badge/photogenic

Photogenic

Little things like uploading a profile picture make the community a better place. Thanks!

Son_of_Imoen You earned this badge 5:34PM
  • Brer_RabbitBrer_Rabbit Member Posts: 159
    >.>

Frankly, its harder to tell who people are at a glance with these new avatars than the old ones! Not to mention these look like they were carved on leather bags. :\

(sigh) My cool blue smiley... Dammit. Just for that, I'm going to get an avatar that has no relation to my name whatsoever-- no "brer" anything here. :{
  • NimranNimran Member Posts: 4,875
    Poor Biff the Understudy. Nobody likes his portrait.
  • AlmateriaAlmateria Member Posts: 257
    Great, now I have to put on a sexy spider lady.
  • batoorbatoor Member Posts: 676
    edited September 2015
    I quite liked those little ''trollish'' smiling faces..I felt hollow without it for awhile:(
  • darkmoon500darkmoon500 Member Posts: 25
    edited August 2017

For those of you, who, like @FinneousPJ want to install your random avatar as the permanent picture, you can do the following.

Go https://www.google.com/

type "YOUR NAME site:forums.beamdog.com" , for example, "ygramul site:forums.beamdog.com"

When seeing the result "YOUR NAME - Beamdog Forums" (ex., "Ygramul - Beamdog Forums"), click with your left mouse button) on a triangle and choose "Cached copy).

Then the forum will be opened in a cached version that will include your previous random avatar.

Doesn't work doest on phone, it takes you back to your profile but there is no option to change the avatar