Skip to content

Skald or blade and other questions

Is there any advantages of skald over blade?
Should I max dex or str on my kitted bard?

Comments

• ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    Opinions vary of course, but I think the Skald has the best Bard song before you unlock the epic bard song HLA. The Blade is the best choice if you want to mix it up in melee. Max dex on any character you build, its important for everyone. If your bard is going into melee, you will want to max their str too.
    AerakarZaghoul
  • jsavingjsaving Member Posts: 1,083
    For personal melee DPS, blades are the best bard kit, though I'd say they are outclassed both melee-wise and spell-wise by dualed fighter/mages. Since blades have low hit points yet can't benefit from a 17+ CON, you want to set their CON to 16 and max DEX to give them a better AC. Maxing strength doesn't hurt either but is less important for blades because they're limited to 18 strength, as opposed to a fighter who could have 18/00 or a half-orc who could start with 19.
  • Son_of_ImoenSon_of_Imoen Member Posts: 1,806
    jsaving said:

Maxing strength doesn't hurt either but is less important for blades because they're limited to 18 strength, as opposed to a fighter who could have 18/00 or a half-orc who could start with 19.

Though, if you create a Blade with 18 STR and give hime the tome of STR, he gets massive dmg and Thac0 boosts as it'll increase it's STR to 19 straight away.

ShikaoZaghoulThacoBellChnapy
  • SkatanSkatan Member, Moderator Posts: 5,352
    Agree with the above, I don't consider Skald and Blade to be in any way interchangable. They are almost like two different classes when you think about how to play them.

Personally I cannot play a Skald in BG since they are to inactive for my liking. I only ever use them in IWD. had their existed a Skald NPC, I would have used it.
    Aerakar
  • darkmoon500darkmoon500 Member Posts: 25
    I'd choose a different class altogether, has to be the weakest useless class ever, only thing worse is a kensai, or kensai/mage, I mean if u want a challenge u got it with those classes, but your gonna get stuck and die, unless u cheat and get robe of vecna or dak'kons sword, like others do
  •  TheArtisan TheArtisan Member Posts: 3,277
    edited September 2017

I'd choose a different class altogether, has to be the weakest useless class ever, only thing worse is a kensai, or kensai/mage, I mean if u want a challenge u got it with those classes, but your gonna get stuck and die, unless u cheat and get robe of vecna or dak'kons sword, like others do

The best offensive self buff and the best AC self buff in the game, 3 dual-wielding points, fast leveling, Enhanced Bard Song, Use Any Item, Spike Traps and you're saying it's the weakest most useless class?

???????????????????????????????????????????
    ShikaoCvijetaAerakarThacoBell
  • ArtonaArtona Member Posts: 1,077
    I'd argue with calling kensai or kensage weak.
    ShikaoThacoBell
  •  TheArtisan TheArtisan Member Posts: 3,277
    edited September 2017
    The Kensai/Kensage is overrated but not weak. The Abjurer is weak. The Beast Master is pretty weak. There's the difference.

Actually I'd even go the whole way and say that the kensage has crossed the line twice into underrated considering how often vets like to subtly mock how cliche the build is.
    ArtonaShikaoStummvonBordwehrAerakar
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • unavailableunavailable Member Posts: 268
    edited September 2017
    Neither. I consider the IWD bard mod for BG an essential mod, both for RP and gameplay purposes.

The f/m and kensai mage make the blade pretty redundant.

The Skald is good alternative to plain old bard, but I like that the bard has so many more songs and can be a pretty good heal bot with its eleventh level song healing everyone for 2hp/6 seconds.
  • brunardobrunardo Member Posts: 526
    heavy melee party use a skald, if not blade probably better way to go to help as semi front liner