Skip to content

Character: Spider

I want to build a character using web and freedom of movement potions to give combat advantages and character flavor.

Here's my question: Should I go 3 levels of Conjurer into Thief or into Fighter?

With Thief, I think I could get a bunch of Backstabbing in by dropping into shadows with invisibility potions and so on, but Fighter seems more reliable without the need for extra costs and luggage.
ShikaoJuliusBorisov

Comments

• sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    my suggestion is to do 4 levels of invoker, web is an evocation spell, and if you are an invoker, enemies will get another -2 penalty to their save ( and if im not mistaken the spell already offers a -2 penalty, so that would be a -4 penalty altogether) and also level 4 because that will give you 1 extra level 2 spell ( over being level 3 )

now thief of fighter, tough to say, thieve's to hit isn't all that great in bg1 ( but then again, if your enemy is stuck, you will hit automatically) hmm so actually based on that principle, go with thief, you will be getting x3 backstab at level 5 I believe? which wont take too long to get to

and also there is a ring of free action that you can pick pocket from a certain someone in chapter 2 if need be as well ( although I believe you need a minimum of 70-80 % in pick pockets to get that ring )
    JuliusBorisovIronfoxsemiticgoddess
  • IronfoxIronfox Member Posts: 7
    Oh, I've been playing a while and didn't even realize that web wasn't conjuration in BG. The things you take for granted...

I had considered going level 4 mage, but thought I would just get the Amplifier to bump up that spell count. That would put me up to three castings with the specialization and I imagine I would only need to use this trick once per mid-hard fight.

I think I definitely like the idea of going Thief now though. Thanks.
    sarevok57JuliusBorisov
  • ZilberZilber Member Posts: 253
    You could start out with assassin and dual to mage
    Ironfox
    Kinda counter to what I'm doing. The only reason I want mage is for web. If thief had Use Magic Device in BG I probably wouldn't even take one level of Mage.
    I think zilber meant to start off with assassin first because they get poison weapon ability, although I mage at level 7 gets level 4 spell I wonder if polymorph self allows you to be a spider?
    Ironfox
    sarevok57 said:

I think zilber meant to start off with assassin first because they get poison weapon ability, although I mage at level 7 gets level 4 spell I wonder if polymorph self allows you to be a spider?

Pretty cool idea...
    Ironfox said:

sarevok57 said:

Pretty cool idea...
    to answer my own question, the polymorph spell does give you the ability to polymorph into a spider, but I think it has a duration

on the flip side the avenger druid if im not mistaken gets the ability to shapeshift into a spider ( so no duration) and I believe the avenger druid also gets web as a level 2 spell

so if you truly want to be a spider, I think that is the way to go :)

Grond0Zilber
  • DreadKhanDreadKhan Member Posts: 3,857
    Avengers have an impressive toolkit actually, and web + sword spider is just one of many great options, but it is good vs MANY opponents. If you want to do that, do take single weapon style, because spiders don't use shields iirc, and it supposedly stacks.
  • ZilberZilber Member Posts: 253
    Yes, I did mean dual into a mage for the poly, but quite a bit more works as well.

The druid might be even better, insect swarm etc are quite common.
    I do really like the druid idea. Never had much luck with them, but to be fair, I've never giving them much time to impress me. Never really liked Jahera as a group member.
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    Druids downside is their level 2 spells. Once you are able to start casting 3rd level spells, they vastly improve.
    deltago said:

Druids downside is their level 2 spells. Once you are able to start casting 3rd level spells, they vastly improve.

unless you have a avenger druid, they get web as a level 2 spell

and also, charm person/mammal is a pretty good level 2 spell for a druid in bg1, since there are tons of animals/ humans to charm