Skip to content

1st time IWD:EE, all-Elf party

First time through IWD:EE (iPad). Started working on a party and had a fancy for an all-elf party. Well, elf and half-elf.

Ended up like this:
  • Half-Elf Barbarian
  • Elf Fighter/Thief
  • Elf Archer
  • Half-Elf Bard
  • Half-Elf Cleric/Mage
  • Elf Mage
I mean, really, would elves and dwarves be in the same party in, ah, "real life"? I think not!

Seen many debates here about best party...just wondering if this looks reasonable or if I'm setup for failure.
[Deleted User]

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited July 2017
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    RVNS
  • RVNSRVNS Member Posts: 285
    Looks good to me. Archers always seemed stronger in icewind dale and bards are much more potent as well. I prefer Skald personally as far as bards go. Your team is balanced as far as needed roles go.
  • RaduzielRaduziel Member Posts: 4,714
    edited July 2017
    I would swap the Half-Elf C/M for a Pure-Elf C/M and the extra mage for a Beserker or an (EEKeeped) Undead Hunter.
  • KenjiKenji Member Posts: 251
    eww elven peasants, human master race!
  • jsavingjsaving Member Posts: 1,083

First time through IWD:EE (iPad). Started working on a party and had a fancy for an all-elf party. Well, elf and half-elf.

Ended up like this:

• Half-Elf Barbarian
    • Elf Fighter/Thief
    • Elf Archer
    • Half-Elf Bard
    • Half-Elf Cleric/Mage
    • Elf Mage
    I mean, really, would elves and dwarves be in the same party in, ah, "real life"? I think not!

Seen many debates here about best party...just wondering if this looks reasonable or if I'm setup for failure.
    There are only enough scrolls in the main game to fully outfit one mage, at least until you reach Heart of Winter (at which point the game is 90% over). You have three mages in your party (bard, cleric/mage, and mage) so you'll find yourself frequently leveling up without many (or sometimes any) spells to put in your new slots. I would suggest changing your elf mage to a sorcerer, who gains spells without having to worry about scrolls and hence won't suffer from this issue.

On the other hand, IWD is an exceptionally low-magic setting compared to BG/BG2 so your warriors will find themselves chronically short of good armor for a significant chunk of the game. If you can give any of them the ability to cast mirror image and stoneskin, you'll greatly increase their survivability. And if you can specifically do this with a fighter/thief, you can also eliminate his need to put any points in stealth skills, freeing you up to put points in pickpocket (for the rings of free action a couple of early NPCs have) and traps/locks. So I'd suggest switching your fighter/thief to fighter/mage/thief.

Finally, I'd consider changing your cleric/mage to a fighter/cleric/mage. You'll be at low to mid levels for most of IWD so adding fighter to your cleric/mage will make him a highly viable melee combatant in addition to having reasonable casting capabilities.

One more thing, it's no secret that IWD is highly undead-heavy so you'll want to be aware that the game's many skeletons are mainly vulnerable to crushing weapons. So you'll want to make sure that as many people as possible have two points in flails (the best crushing weapon).

Good luck!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited July 2017
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Post edited by [Deleted User] on
  • DreadKhanDreadKhan Member Posts: 3,857

Don't forget, though, that elves are much more costly to resurrect in IWD than other races. You can't use "Raise Dead" at temples on elven party members, only "Resurrection", which costs much more.

So for a 1st time in IWD I wouldn't recommend an all-elven party.

Lord how I hated my 1 elf! He kept dying, and I kept burning fortunes to Resurrect, since the idea of reloading battles I won was strangely absent from my brain. Minimal reload I guess. Anyways, I second to avoid elves on the first playthrough. Experienced players should be fine either way.
    JuliusBorisovKenji
  • thruddthrudd Member Posts: 96
    Ummm Elves in a Cold, Snowy, Icy Region....... They wouldn't do to well Probably Complain About the Cold the whole Time...... Drow's Would be fine ( Drizzt)
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • GrumGrum Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,100

Ended up like this:

• Half-Elf Barbarian
    • Elf Fighter/Thief
    • Elf Archer
    • Half-Elf Bard
    • Half-Elf Cleric/Mage
    • Elf Mage

My suggestion...

Elven Fighter (no kit)
    - Front line fighter. Grandmastery in longswords, dual wielding. Could make him a berserker actually and just think of it as mental conditioning rather than anger. Makes him immune to most debilitating magical assaults, lets him ignore pain, and fights with perfected skill.

Elven Fighter/Mage
    - Front line fighter. Defensive buffs. With stoneskin, mirror image and blur he can tank like a boss. Can eventually give him the elf-only magic resistance shield for extra survivability. If you are lucky enough to find the Shadowed Robe (AC4, 15% magic resistance) and also have the Argent Shield (+3 AC, 25% magic resistance, elf only) then your fighter/mage will have 40% magic resistance. That's great to have. Toss on some kind of +x AC ring, and tank anything melee or magic.

Elven Archer
    - Just like what you have. Nothing better than that. Grand mastery in bows makes him the ranged equivalent of your fighter.

Elven Sorcerer
    - Not enough scrolls to go around? Doesn't matter what scrolls you find, you will always have your favorite spells.

Elven Assassin, Swashbuckler or Fighter/Thief
    - Just like what you have. A great choice no matter how you go. My favorite for a ranged character is the swashbuckler, just because you won't be backstabbing...and the bonuses to hit and damage are nice to have. But a fighter/thief is always great to have around.

Elven Cleric
    - Your healer. Plain and simple. I just wish that IWDEE would put in non-human gods for kits.

Full elven party. Only 1 member who uses scrolls. Your sorcerer gets to have the perfect spells for each level. Or make the sorcerer a mage and only give the fighter/mage defensive spells. If the thief focuses on ranged abilities, you will end up with 2 front liners, 2 ranged, 2 full casters.

• RaduzielRaduziel Member Posts: 4,714
    edited August 2017
    I did a full even party that was:

Fighter/Thief (Sharpshooter)

Fighter/Druid (Totemic Druid)

Fighter/Cleric (Priest of Corellon)

Fighter/Mage (Enchanter)

Bard (Dirgesinger)

Sorcerer.

Of course, I used some mods (see below) and EEKeeper, but totally worth it.

http://www.gibberlings3.net/sns/

http://www.gibberlings3.net/cleric/
    Shikao
  • ElendarElendar Member Posts: 831
    Why elves when gnomes are so much better?
    Aerakar