Skip to content

Korgan Bloodaxe. One of the best examples of evil I have seen

GrumGrum Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,100

"After leaving 's company, Korgan Bloodaxe lived in as bloody a fashion as he could manage. He took control of an entire dwarven clan, killing their leader in secret and guiding their revenge to a target of his choosing. He could have lived in luxury, but his thirst for carnage was immeasurable, and he stunned the Realms by pushing deep into the Underdark. The blind fury of the clan took even the dark elves by surprise, but holding territory in the home of the drow is a hopeless proposition. Korgan was last seen burying his axe in the gullet of a high priest of Lolth, laughing as he struck. Dwarven legend immortalized the image, and his bloodlust is now called a crusade. History, it seems, finds more heroes than madmen."

In light of his dialogue with Mazzy, it feels like Korgan *tried* to do what she said. To direct his anger onto a deserving target. But even in doing so, he acted in an evil manner (murdering a clan leader, leading a clan into a war they couldn't win). It also reads as him choosing a death in a way which would earn him the respect in death that he could not earn in life.

Just wanted to share this, because I know that this dialogue option doesn't always pop up so it is very easy to miss. It also highlights the excellent writing from this game.

BorekArctodusUnderstandMouseMagicMortiannaOrlonKronsteenMush_MushStummvonBordwehrZaghoulSkatanAerakarJuliusBorisovsemiticgoddessThacoBellBelgarathMTHZaxaresIsewein

Comments

• ChnapyChnapy Member Posts: 360
    edited September 2017
    I don't know about his english voice but his french one, christian pelissier, has done a lot of work on plenty of video games and tv series and pretty much always does the same very recognizable, low, raspy voice.

Be it Korgan in bg2, Vivec in morrowind or Galmar in skyrim, I just love hearing a character talk and just immediately going "Oh hi, Captain Haddock, what brings you here?".
    OrlonKronsteenArctodusKuronaAerakar
  • ArctodusArctodus Member Posts: 992
    edited September 2017
    Chnapy said:

I don't know about his english voice but his french one, christian pelissier, has done a lot of work on plenty of video games and tv series and pretty much always does the same very recognizable, low, raspy voice.

Be it Korgan in bg2, Vivec in morrowind or Galmar in skyrim, I just love hearing a character talk and just immediately going "Oh hi, Captain Haddock, what brings you here?".

I nowadays always play in english, but the first bg2 version I played was in french. Korgan's voice is the one that I remember liking the most, by far. Thanks for the memory !

En plus, je n'avais jamais vraiment fait le lien entre Korgan et capitaine Haddock ! Et Dieu sais que Tintin a une importance significative pour moi ! Encore merci !
    Chnapy
  • SkatanSkatan Member, Moderator Posts: 5,352
    It's annoying that not all banter pops up even though you have the party members. The whole "two characters have to stand close to trigger banter" can really mess with you sometimes.
    Grum
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    ThacoBelltbone1
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    chimaera said:

Tbh, I think Jan is only there for the turnips. >:)

And the stories! Imagine what the next adventuring party he joins will have to listen to?
    tbone1Chnapy
  • ZaghoulZaghoul Member, Moderator Posts: 3,938
    I just like his personality, regardless of alignment. His exchange with his old buddies in the slums still cracks me up.
    tbone1UnderstandMouseMagic
  • CahirCahir Member, Moderator, Translator (NDA) Posts: 2,819
    Sorry for casting some serious necromancy on this thread, but do you guys know if Bloodaxe clan is present anywhere in FR books or it's just made up specifically for Korgan character?
  • ZaxaresZaxares Member Posts: 1,325
    Not that I know of, no. I haven't followed the FR novels for some years now, but I don't recall reading about any Bloodaxe clans.
    Cahir