Skip to content

Recommended barbarian proficiency??

Hey guys. I have a solo, evil dual wielding barbarian, I'm in chapter 2, but my goal is to eventually have the defender of east haven as my offhand weapon with the improved human skin armor for some super invulnerablibily.

Anyway, what proficiency besides dual wielding and flail should I build towards? I have daggers so I can throw firetooth later, but I don't know what else to build for.

Axes maybe for the axe of unyielding?

Mace for the improved mace of disruptivion?

Am I missing something cool that I'll regret not building towards?
Aerakar

Comments

• WarChiefZekeWarChiefZeke Member Posts: 2,651
    Axes and Flails feels barbarian-like and have great end game options so that would be my first pick.
  • Grond0Grond0 Member Posts: 7,305
    If you're evil then you might want to use Blackrazor. There are several other good long swords in addition to that as well.
    StummvonBordwehrAerakar
  • BorekBorek Member Posts: 513
    My current playthrough is a CG Barb that i dualled to Mage at level 39 after doing maybe 60% of chapter 2 (played it from bg1+SoD so started in the torture cell with around 3.6m XP lol due to xp cap removed). Before i dualled i was mostly using Flail of Ages and Defender of Easthaven, but i'd switch to Azure Edge for undead blapping although you can't use that as non-good, so perhaps consider Hammer or mace. Because Barbarian is limited to Specialization only i ended up with a humongous list of proficiencies.

Tuigan bow with Acid Arrows is supreme Vs spell casters, it's worth specializing so you get more attacks with it, many fights i could keep 3 casters interrupted, useful when you have the 3 Yuanti Mage spawns and many other encounters.

Longsword obvious choice for Daystar early on and many other great weapons throughout the game.

Axe is nice early on for Stone Axe which lets you complete the Stronghold relatively easily due to the Fire damage, and it's a +3 so can hit most things in the game, also a +2 throwing Axe in the Temple sewers that can be useful, but i'd say being Evil you can take it or leave it due to no Azure Edge.

Sling is not bad, but i don't really think it's worth the points, the few times you want to stand back and cheese down something that cant get through a doorway to hit you then the difference between no proficiency and specialized isn't that much, with your huge THAC0 and rapid leveling as a solo you'll be hitting on 2-20 rolls lol.

Flail of Ages is the Boss, added bonus of DoE being same weapon type, so as soon as you get your FoA definitely specialize.

Later on Bastard Sword is worth considering for sure, some nice weapons late game, just lacking early on.

Katana i specced in for Celestial Fury, but to tell the truth i never use it so it's kinda wasted and i may change to something else via EE keeper at some point, plus the TOB Katana's are kinda sucky compared to the competition.

Halberd is worth it later on, some really nice weapons and they scream out for GWW'ing hehe.

Since i played through SoD i have access to the Berserker/Barb +3 sword (i actually just found it from Tazok in Firkraags dungeon), it's only a +3, but it's totally amazeballs...
    Dragon Blade +3
    Special
    – While enraged, the chance to score a critical hit is increased by 10% (Berserkers, Barbarians and Rashemi warriors only)
    – Deals an extra 2d4 points of cold damage and slows the target for 1 round (no save) on a critical hit
    Aerakar