Skip to content

What's some good barbarian armor? I'd like to bump my resistances

I'm new to this style of playing. So far, I have a solo level 13 evil barbarian dual wielding flail of ages and defender of easthaven. I'm wearing the inertial dampener belt, but for armor I have regular old splint with a ring of protection.

What items should I be looking for before I embark on my journey to free that annoying brat sister of mine?

Comments

• Grond0Grond0 Member Posts: 7,305
    You might be interested in the shadow dragon armor.
  • BorekBorek Member Posts: 513
    Yeah Shadow Dragon Armour is the best you can get i believe until either Watchers Keep or ToB, choices are pretty underwhelming for a barb unfortunately due to no plate.
  • GrumGrum Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,100
    (1) Get Aeger's Hide ASAP (AC 3, +15% fire, cold and acid)
    (2) Get Defender of Easthaven right after (+1 AC, +20% physical resistance)
    (3) Get Flail of Ages, to go along with the DoE.
    (4) Get Helm of Defense (+1 saves, +20% fire, ice, electrical resistance)
    (5) Ring of Earth Control (+1 AC) and Ring of Gax (+2 AC, regen, +10% MR)
    (6) Boots of Grounding (+50% electricity resistance)
    (7) Belt of Inertial Barrier (+5 save vs breath, +25% res. to missile damage, +50% res. to magic damage)
    (8) Cloak of the Sewers (+1 AC, shapeshift)

You end up with...

AC-7 (respectable)
    slashing, piercing, crushing (40%)
    missile damage (45%)
    electricity (70%)
    magic damage (50%)
    fire, ice (35%)

Swing your flails around wildly. Get hit in the face. Laugh it off and pretend that you are a dwarven defender.

ThacoBellluskanrecklessheart
  • My barbarian/cleric wears the Red Dragon Armor. Found it much better than the Shadow for how I play, and I run across Fire a lot more than acid.
  • Accident, doh, berserker not barbarian.
  • NeverusedNeverused Member Posts: 803
    I know that bracers AC3 were pretty common for the barbarian as well, if I recall correctly.
    Grum said:

Just want to say this though...

Dwarven Defender:
    * 20% crushing, slashing, piercing, missile
    * +50% crushing, slashing, piercing, missile from defensive stance

Main Hand: Crom Faeyr (Str 25)
    Offhand: Defender of Easthaven (+1 AC, 20% slashing, crushing, piercing)
    Helm of Dumathoin (+2 Con, +3% slashing, crushing, piercing, missile)
    Red Dragon Scale (-1 AC, +50% fire resistance)
    Ring of Gax (+2 AC, regen, +10% MR)
    Ring of Earth Control (+1 AC)
    Cloak of Reflection (deflect all spell damage back at caster)
    Girdle of Bluntness
    Boots of Grounding (+50% electricity resistance)
    Amulet of Magic Resistance

Drop defensive stance. Have 93% resistance to all physical damage
    Reflect all spell damage back at caster
    50% fire and electricity resistance (most common enemy types)
    35% magic resistance (lum, hell, ring, amulet)

Str 25 for hitting enemies hard.
    Con 19 base (+1 tome, +2 helm) = Con 22. Can go up to Con 24 if you choose evil hell option. That with D12 hit dice from class.

And afraid of enemy spells? Shorty saves. Defensive stance adds another +2 bonus.

Who needs stoneskin when dragon attacks tickle?

Dwarven Defender is a great Kit, but Defensive stance penalizes movement by 50% and lasts less time than Hardiness (at high level), although nothing stopping you getting that as well given the levels, just a bit redundant. They also get better Armour choices and end up with slightly lower AC, but by ToB AC becomes increasingly redundant and damage reduction way better. Both classes have matching damage reduction, but Barbs get Rage, immunity to Backstab and extra movement which is really handy. The Rage also gives you Str and Con +4 so you are way less tied to using Crom, a great weapon for sure, but definitely not the best in many situations.

Nice bonus now is you can dual class as it's a fighter kit. Honestly they are very similar in potency, but i am enjoying my Barbarian a lot and IMO Rage puts them slightly ahead of Dwarven Defender.
  • KloroxKlorox Member Posts: 894
    Borek said:

Grum said:

Dwarven Defender:

Girdle of Bluntness

Con 19 base (+1 tome, +2 helm) = Con 22. Can go up to Con 24 if you choose evil hell option. That with D12 hit dice from class.

And afraid of enemy spells? Shorty saves. Defensive stance adds another +2 bonus.

Dwarven Defender is a great Kit, but Defensive stance penalizes movement by 50% and lasts less time than Hardiness (at high level), although nothing stopping you getting that as well given the levels, just a bit redundant. They also get better Armour choices and end up with slightly lower AC, but by ToB AC becomes increasingly redundant and damage reduction way better. Both classes have matching damage reduction, but Barbs get Rage, immunity to Backstab and extra movement which is really handy. The Rage also gives you Str and Con +4 so you are way less tied to using Crom, a great weapon for sure, but definitely not the best in many situations.

Nice bonus now is you can dual class as it's a fighter kit. Honestly they are very similar in potency, but i am enjoying my Barbarian a lot and IMO Rage puts them slightly ahead of Dwarven Defender.
    Neither barbarians or dwarves can dual class.
    Grum said:

Dwarven Defender:

Girdle of Bluntness

Would you be better off with human skin armor?
    Klorox said:

Borek said:

Grum said:

Dwarven Defender:

Girdle of Bluntness

I wasn't able to Dual class a Dwarven Defender even with Tweaks anthology for some reason, but Barbarian definitely CAN dual class now that they have been turned into a fighter Kit, i know because i am playing a 39 Barbarian/21 Mage right now (Elf) using Tweaks anthology options to allow all races to Dual class and with the removal of race restrictions on kits.
    Borek said:

Klorox said:

Borek said:

Grum said:

Dwarven Defender:

Girdle of Bluntness

I wasn't able to Dual class a Dwarven Defender even with Tweaks anthology for some reason, but Barbarian definitely CAN dual class now that they have been turned into a fighter Kit, i know because i am playing a 39 Barbarian/21 Mage right now (Elf) using Tweaks anthology options to allow all races to Dual class and with the removal of race restrictions on kits.
    With mods, anything is possible. My bad.
    Klorox said:

Borek said:

Klorox said:

Borek said:

Grum said:

Dwarven Defender:

Girdle of Bluntness

With mods, anything is possible. My bad.
    Not true, only Valid Multi-class options work as Dual class even with race/kit restrictions removed, so the change to Barbarian into a Fighter Kit was needed before it was allowed. It's why Paladins, monks, Sorcerers, bards can't dual class. All i am using is Tweaks Anthology and AFAIK if you played a Human Barbarian in V2.0+ an unmodded game should allow a Barbarian to Dual class into a Cleric, Mage or Thief, my mod just allowed Demi-humans to also do it.