Skip to content

BG2:EE ios compatibility

Hi all, just noticed when playing BG2:EE on my iPad that I now have a notification come up saying the game will need an update to run on later versions of iOS? Does anybody know if this update is being developed?

Thanks

Ian

Comments

• _Luke__Luke_ Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 1,535
    Yes, the devs are working on it, but they don't know when it will be released... (for sure before the launch of iOS 11..... Regarding the exact date: who knows?)
  • _Luke__Luke_ Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 1,535
    From the latest post on the Beamblog: http://blog.beamdog.com/2017/06/pstee-patch-313-and-whats-next-for.html

".....Our fans on iOS will be pleased to hear that we’re aware of the notification you’ve all been seeing regarding 32-bit applications and can rest assured that we will have all of our Enhanced Edition games upgraded to 64-bit as part of our 2.4 patch series. The Beamdog team has already started on the 64 bit update for Baldur’s Gate: Enhanced Edition and Baldur’s Gate II: Enhanced Edition, and plans to address the same issue on Icewind Dale: Enhanced Edition afterwards. Expect to see more details on these iOS patches later this summer......"
    JuliusBorisovOldlibmike
  • tbone1tbone1 Member Posts: 1,985
    They've made an old man very happy.
    StummvonBordwehrGreenWarlock
  • WesboiWesboi Member Posts: 403
    Yet again tho android platform gets shafted.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • proccoprocco Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 915
    Haven't downloaded it yet but pretty sure it's the patch, according to @JuliusBorisov 's post
    _Luke_
    edited September 2017

Wait what??

Is it just the 1.3 game in 64-bit? Or is it the 2.x patch?

2.x; I just made a Priest of Tyr and Shaman was an option as well.
    tbone1GreenWarlock
  • DoubledimasDoubledimas Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 1,286
    edited September 2017
    Wesboi said:

Yet again tho android platform gets shafted.

Android will be updated with 2.5 according to this post.
    JuliusBorisov
    @Doubledimas still doesn't change the fact android users got short changed. Makes a joke of the company having the game on different platforms with different versions and claiming cross platform multiplayer. There isn't really a valid excuse in 2017 for this shoddy practice.
  • BrutaleBentBrutaleBent Member Posts: 36
    edited September 2017
    I'm sure in a parallel universe, they got unlimited resources... ;)

I'm sure in a parallel universe, they got unlimited resources... ;)

Considering they've hired new staff they can't be doing to bad. They already have the update it's just making it android viable so majority of the work is already done.
  • BrutaleBentBrutaleBent Member Posts: 36
    edited September 2017
    That's still assuming alot with next to no knowledge of their inner workings. ;) Anyways, following that line of thinking, you'd rather they'd wait till they had an update for everyone before releasing? While I agree simultaneous release would be optimal, I prefer my updates asap. :D
    StummvonBordwehr
  • GreenWarlockGreenWarlock Member Posts: 1,354
    @Wesboi my understanding is that the Android version works today on current android devices, and is unlikely to be breaking soon. That is not true of the iOS versions of these games, which will start breaking from tomorrmaow without this patch (for anyone who upgrades to iOS 11, and iOS users traditionally upgrade very quickly). I am sure BeamDog would have preferred to update all the platforms at the same time, but Apple have dictated a timetable here that brings extra urgency for their platform.

As an Apple Mac user, I am also waiting for that update, and don't get that add Apple urgency, as they are not about to break the Mac platform (as far as we are aware), at least, no more than it already is. For 2 years now I have had to play with disabled sound due to the game crashing on area transitions after a change the Mac sound drivers, and just hoping no new unreported bugs show up in High Sierra next month.
    BrutaleBent

As an Apple Mac user, I am also waiting for that update, and don't get that add Apple urgency, as they are not about to break the Mac platform (as far as we are aware), at least, no more than it already is. For 2 years now I have had to play with disabled sound due to the game crashing on area transitions after a change the Mac sound drivers, and just hoping no new unreported bugs show up in High Sierra next month.

I think this is because Mac OS and iOS are converging, so the difference between the two is not that great; if you update one, updating the other isn't that much work. Sometimes priorities are based on low-hanging fruit.

StummvonBordwehr
    Well, they managed to get 4 Mac patches out to customers from other app stores - so the work has mostly been done for over a year. It appears to be the Apple approval process they want to batch up, although I am not sure what that is buying them, as iOS and Mac proceed at different rates, and presumably raise different concerns for Apple - the iOS updates seem to proceed more quickly when parallel submissions occur.

Also, I was slightly out on the dates above- iOS 11 is released on Tuesday next week; tomorrow is when the new iPhone starts taking orders.
    tbone1
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    We’ve already begun work on another patch for Icewind Dale, this time bringing all the 2.4 fixes, features, and more to Google Play, Mac Store, Steam, and other platforms the Enhanced Editions are available on.

After IWD:EE, we’ll be returning to BG:EE and BGII:EE to update each on Steam, GOG, Beamdog, Google Play, iOS, and Mac with the latest features and fixes.
    tbone1StummvonBordwehr
    So to clarify (and avoid disappointment with wrong expectations) - Mac App Store updates for BGEE and BG2EE are currently scheduled after the 2.4 IWDEE patch (which /will/ come to Mac App Store), and then after 2.4 work for Steam, GoG, and Google play platforms (as even a simultaneous release has an Apple approval delay)?

Clearly no estimated delivery dates, but I am assuming I should not be surprised if I don't see those BG releases on Mac App Store before the new year? (2018 that is, I should be very surprised if still waiting for New Year 2019!)
    So basically a big f you to the android community for the bg series.
  • bleusteelbleusteel Member Posts: 523
    I can't wait until the people complaining about slow patching finally get the update and then scream about wanting to get back to v1.3.
    tbone1BelegCuthalion
    edited September 2017
    bleusteel said:

I can't wait until the people complaining about slow patching finally get the update and then scream about wanting to get back to v1.3.

Yeah as a customer who purchased all 4 products on android and on steam I guess its acceptable to wait 2 years for a patch. Seriously making EA look like a stand up company.

Guess bugs like this is acceptable for some eh.

• bleusteelbleusteel Member Posts: 523
    edited September 2017
    I don't mind it - I am sorry it bothers you.
    bleusteel said:

The fact it was first reported to beamdog on the forums from March 2015 so they can't exactly say it wasn't known about.
    Brecher
  • DoubledimasDoubledimas Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 1,286
    edited September 2017
    Wesboi said:

bleusteel said:

The fact it was first reported to beamdog on the forums from March 2015 so they can't exactly say it wasn't known about.
    Beamdog does have issues with providing support to their back catalog in terms of patching (simple troubleshooting is quite good). I think Trent himself tweeted that supporting all the games across all the platforms had spread them thin. I can see the need for a small company to keep producing new stuff to keep a revenue stream. But more support would be very welcome, both in terms of fixing but also opening up the game for modification even more (the UI options from v2+ are a prime example of the latter). That is why I think it is imperative that you make your way to the Friendly Arm Inn Beamdog gets all the games to v2.4 or 2.5 (and maybe give PST:EE another patch) before releasing a new game. Otherwise we continue the same situation as now (new game needs patching while old game also needs more work). Of course, I have no idea how feasable this is doe the company, but would definitely go a long way towards customer satisfaction and longevity of the games and modding community.
    Post edited by Doubledimas on