Skip to content

Best damage sponge: barbarian vs dwarven defender

2»

Comments

• StummvonBordwehrStummvonBordwehr Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 1,342
    Klorox said:

Enuhal said:

Klorox said:

Wait, the description doesn't say barbarian can use it. Is this an oversight?

Barbarians are a fighter kit in the enhanced editions, so when it says "Fighters can use it", this includes barbarians as well (though barbarians don't behave like a fighter kit in some ways - it seems like they can't dual class, for example) - of course, I haven't tested if they really can use the sword, but in theory, they should be able to.
    Alright, I'll give it a shot.

Stinks having a STR below 18. LOL.
    Agree. I hate that too - it just feels wrong. But Alesias point would be that potions, rage and DUHM will mitigate that... and it makes sense
  • Alesia_BHAlesia_BH Member Posts: 759
    edited September 2017

Agree. I hate that too - it just feels wrong. But Alesias point would be that potions, rage and DUHM will mitigate that... and it makes sense

Yuppers. Strength is easily modified.

Best,

A.
  • KloroxKlorox Member Posts: 894
    Alesia_BH said:

Right. Whether I have a strength of 17 or a strength of 18, I quaff an exception strength potion in every fight that matters anyways.

(Of course, with an imported character, we're talking about the difference between 18 and 19. Same argument there, though)

Best,

A.
    Right. The jump to 19 is so huge

It is partially why I chose evil
    Klorox said:

Sort of. There are so many ways to modify strength, that I rarely find base strength worth fretting about.

Best,

A.
    Klorox
    Alesia_BH said:

Klorox said:

Sort of. There are so many ways to modify strength, that I rarely find base strength worth fretting about.

Best,

A.
    I almost always end the game with a plethora of STR potions, and always tons of cash left over.

I'll remedy that thisbrun.

Still, I can't see myself equipping Aboreen too often, except when I know it's coming, FoA/DoE is such a perfect barbarian combo.
    I'm just going to lay down the advantages of each good pick for a solo barbarian run:

Half orc:
    Pros: highest physical stats, regeneration in BGI
    Cons: no saving throw bonus

Dwarf:
    Pros: exceptional STR, regeneration in BGI, saving throws are excellent
    Cons: 17 DEX to start

Halfling:
    Pros: saving throws, ability to equip Arvoreen
    Cons: low STR, reliant on potions, no regeneration without equipment.

For me, I really need to balance out the regeneration vs. Arvoreen. I know I can get through BGI without a natural 20 CON (and I can equip Buckley's Buckler for that 20 pretty early). I think halfling is best though, because I don't think dual wielding is all that great in BGI anyway.

I'm curious as to how y'all build your proficiencies with barbarians.

I personally like to start with ++ dagger and ++ flail, building to ++ two weapon style in BGI. I'll add the +++ two weapon style at the beginning of BGII and go get both the FoA and DoE right away.

I usually build towards ++ in maces next for the IMoD, but this is nice, but not needed. Should I plan short sword instead?

TIA
    JuliusBorisov
  • GrumGrum Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,100
    edited September 2017
    Mages with save vs suck are more dangerous than melee
    Regeneration is essential (so Con19 with early game buckler via selling mage ring hidden in tree)

Put the two together and dwarf wins out.

In second place is half-orc for Con20 as early as possible.

StummvonBordwehr
    edited September 2017
    Grond0 said:

Which is better will depend on how you like to fight.

Agreed. That and, again, install and gaming objective.

My ranking -in light of my playing style, as an SCS/Ascension solo no reloader- would be as follows:

1) Halfling. I value saves and immunities over stat bumps- especially stats in categories that can be readily adjusted, such as strength. I've never found innate regeneration essential, though I appreciate why others enjoy it. My playing style is also well suited to leveraging the base dex of 19 and the +1 to slings

2) Dwarf. Close second. Dwarves are great. I agree. They just don't bring anything to the table that I value more than stun and slow immunity

3) Half-Orc. Distant third, to my eye. The lack of a shorty save bonus makes them more vulnerable.

Are there other valid ways of viewing the tradeoffs. Of course. And I'm sure the conclusions others have reached make sense for them, in light of their circumstances.

Best,

A.
    Post edited by Alesia_BH on
    JuliusBorisovGrond0Arctodus
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    I will also add that if a player doesn't min-max STR, DEX and CON (for example, take rolls as they come), there's a big chance her characters won't be 18(19)-18(19)-18(19) machines, and thus what will be left are CON-related and race bonuses, and an option to equip the Sword of Arvoreen, as well as class/kit abilities.

For example, I've come to a conclusion I find it more appropriate and less meta-gamey when I take rolls as they come, without any adjusting, or with 1 or 2 points to adjust. This way, chances of getting an ideal dwarf, halforc, or anyone else, are minimal. Heck, for my latest attempt I've managed to get 95, but with only 17-17-17 in STR, DEX and CON, so in this situation I feel alright with a halfling.

And btw, I'm too in the halfling camp, as I've chosen a halfling for the barbarian in the MP party which is currently in SoD on a no-reload run.
    Alesia_BHGrond0Arctodus
    Klorox said:

I personally like to start with ++ dagger and ++ flail, building to ++ two weapon style in BGI. I'll add the +++ two weapon style at the beginning of BGII and go get both the FoA and DoE right away.

IIRC, Arkona's proficiencies were, more of less

Short Bows x 1 (for mage fighting- dispelling arrows, elemental arrows and Gessen)
    Darts x 1 (for darts of stunning)
    Slings x 1 (for strength damage stacking at extreme range)

Scimitars x 2 (for Belm)
    Flails x 2 (Ages and the Defender)
    Axes x 2 (Azuredge and the Axe of the Unyielding)
    Bastard Swords x 2 (Foebane!)
    Short Swords x 1 (Arvoreen)
    Maces x 1 (iMod)
    Halbreds x 1 (Ravager- Proved useful for killing the Mariliths in the Ascension battle. The range 2 mattered)

Two Weapons Style x 3

Best,

A.
    JuliusBorisovArctodus
    Thanks all.

I'm about to infiltrate the bandit camp with a nasty little halfling barbarian named Fuh Q. He's been a lot of fun.

Rolled a 90:
    17/19/18/18/10/8
    JuliusBorisovronaldoGrum
    edited September 2017

ArctodusThacoBellKloroxJuliusBorisov
    Alesia_BH said:

I play pnp D&D. This will be a future character.
    Alesia_BHJuliusBorisov