Skip to content

NPC Analysis

JimstromJimstrom Member Posts: 99
Heavily inspired by Dustbubsys very interesting threads about Attributes, i thougt i should try a similar topic, by making an analytic profile of each npc in the games, by using Dustbubsys notes, the character biography and proficiencies, dialogue and personal items.

Also a great thanks to Dustbubsy for his amazing threads about the stats of the npcs

https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/31384/lets-talk-about-strength#latest

https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/31495/lets-talk-about-dexterity#latest

https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/31656/lets-talk-about-constitution#latest

https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/31765/lets-talk-about-intelligence#latest

https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/31911/lets-talk-about-wisdom#latest

https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/32024/lets-talk-about-charisma#latest

1. Ajantis Ilvastarr

When asked about his past:

Ajantis announces that he is a squire paladin of the Most Noble Order of the Radiant Heart, and that he enforces the power and discipline of Helm.

He belongs to the noble family of Ilvastarr in Waterdeep and has studied swordplay under such luminaries as Myrmith Splendon. His skill and devotion apparently brought him to the attention of the paladin Keldorn, one of the most respected of the Order, who decided to take Ajantis under his wing as a squire.

Recently Ajantis has asked for the honor of becoming a full-fledged member of the Order. To accomplish this, he has traveled to the Sword Coast in order to help curtail the increased humanoid activity in the region. If he succeeds in his quest, the Order will vote on his eligibility for membership. He seems utterly devoted to his mission.

Alignment:

Lawful Good

As a Squire paladin he has to be Lawful Good, espcially when being a squire to Keldorn Firecam himself. Ajantis take his mission to become a full member of the order of the Radiant Heart very seriously. He is also devoted to the god Helm the vigilant one. As a paladin he is seeing the world in black and white, and sense evil everywhere. He respects honor more than anything, and despises evil so much that he is prepared to draw steel against evil party members.

Ajantis will get along with any good party member and even some neutral ones like Garrick and Branwen, however he will not get along very well with Xan.

AJANTIS: There is noting but good and evil, I suspect you are of the latter.

XAN:It seems our resident suicide monger, Ajantis, lives in a black and white world.

AJANTIS: Evil must be purged wherever it is found, even among companions.

XAN: Have you ever wondered how hollow your convictions sound Ajantis.

Class:

Paladin

Paladins are warriors devoted to law, justice, piety and chivalry and are an example to others in society. For this reason paladins can only have an alignment of Lawful Good. They can use all kinds of weapons and armor and have special abilities to fight and protect others from evil,

"Lay on Hands" to heal people in need, "Detect Evil" to easier find evil in his enviorment, and "Protection" from Evil" to protect himself or others against said evil.

Strength:

Class Minimal 12

Strength measures your character’s muscle and physical power. This ability is especially important for Fighters, barbarians, paladins, rangers, and monks because it helps them prevail in combat. Strength also limits the amount of equipment your character can carry.

According to Dustbubsy: It's the benchmark to equip plate mail armour and medium shields, and wield heavy crossbows. For these reasons, I would guess it's the minimum you have to reach if you want to be a professional soldier in the Realms.

Ajantis Strength 17

18 strength is the optimal stat for humans, so Ajantis is in quite good shape, and as Dustbubsy says: Ajantis would reach 18 as he gets more experience. This also shows that Ajantis take his task seriously and workout regulary to be as strong as possible in his devotion to Helm.

"We must always strive to be role models to the meek."

Dexterity:

Class Minimal 3

Dexterity measures hand-eye coordination, agility, reflexes, and balance. This ability is the most important one for rogues, but it’s also high on the list for characters who typically wear light or medium armor (rangers and barbarians) or no armor at all (monks, wizards, and sorcerers), and for anyone who wants to be a skilled archer.

9 Dexterity is what is concidered average, so a paladin don't have to be dexterous at all, if he is strong enough to wear armor and wield sword and shield he is fit to be a paladin. (Though a very clumsy and slow one)

Ajantis Dexterity 13

According to Dustbubsy: Reaching the higher end of average, Ajantis being reasonable dextrous for a plate mail fighter. I must stress though that there is no mechanical difference between Dexterity of 7 and 14 unless you're a thief, bard or ranger. Weird, but there you go.

Ajantis is a bit over average on the dexterity scale, and can wield his sword quite well in heavy armor, he is no
grandmaster though, and need his armor and shield to protect himself.

Constitution:

Class Minimal 9

Constitution represents your character’s health and stamina. A Constitution bonus increases a character’s hit points, so the ability is important for all classes.

According to Dustbubsy: From a RP perspective Con should generally be a very important stat for adventurers given all the travel involved.

Ajantis Constitution 16

2HP bonus per level up. Once again it shows how devoted to the cause Ajantis is by showing up a quite good constitution just 2 below human prime.

Intelligence:

Class Minimal 3

Intelligence determines how well your character learns and reasons. This ability is important for wizards because it affects how many spells they can cast, how hard their spells are to resist, and how powerful their spells can be. It’s also important for any character who wants to have a wide assortment of skills.

It shows you just need to be devoted to a god to be a paladin but education and knowledge is not a neccisity.

Ajantis Intelligence 12

According to Dustbubsy: So here we have very intelligent NPCs. Some, like Ajantis and Keldorn, probably did some studying as part of their Paladin training.

As a nobleman and a squire paladin, Ajantis probably had some education as a child and som religous and martial tutoring.

Wisdom:

Class Minimal 13

Wisdom describes a character’s willpower, common sense, perception, and intuition. While Intelligence represents one’s ability to analyze information, Wisdom represents being in tune with and aware of one’s surroundings. Wisdom is the most important ability for clerics and druids, and it is also important for paladins and rangers. If you want your character to have acute senses, put a high score in Wisdom. Every creature has a Wisdom score.

To be a paladin you need over average willpower and some common sense and manners, and a keen eye for judging character.

Ajantis Wisdom 13

Here we have Ajantis first weakness as a paladin. As a young squire he has the minimal wisdom of his class, and it shows in his black and white philosophy on life. He is quite naive in that sense, and he judges people just because they happen to be evil instead of investigate in why he is evil. He is devoted to Helm though which is probably why he has over average in wisdom, and i think with experience and tutoring his wisdom would probably increase. His honor is all to him though, and if repeatedly insulted he will draw steel to defend his honor.

"Evil must be purged wherever it is found, even among companions."

Charisma:

Charisma measures a character’s force of personality, persuasiveness, personal magnetism, ability to lead, and physical attractiveness. This ability represents actual strength of personality, not merely how one is perceived by others in a social setting. Charisma is most important for paladins, sorcerers, and bards. Every creature has a Charisma score.

Class Minimal 17

Ajantis Charisma 17

According to Dustbubsy: Despite his youth Ajantis commands a very respectable score, which I believe shows how respected paladins are in civilised lands. Their training in courtly behaviour, commanding knights and reputation of moral uprightness...and that shiny shiny armour, make them heroic figures.

He is also well spoken, and quite a gentleman always complimenting women for their beauty, and is also quite defensive of the women in his party if someone is badmouthing them.

"You will watch your mouth around the fairer sex."

Weapon Proficencies:

At level 6 in Enhanced editon Ajantis will have these weapon proficencies:

** B-astard Sword - His signature weapon and also a weapon proficency he shares with his mentor.
In my head canon Sword and Shield is the chosen style of a squire paladin, with the
shield to protect and the sword to deal justice. The bastard sword can also be used
by wielding it with two-hands, which make it a suitable weapon for paladins in
training.

** Two-Handed Sword - He has the strength to wield these swords capably and in Baldur's Gate two-handed
sword seem to be the favorable weapon of paladins, probably because of legends of
holy swords. I also think as they get more experienced paladins drop the shield as
they feel their god is whith them at all times and offer them protection.

* Longbow - As a nobleman he probably have som hunting experience and is capable of using the
longbow.

* Two-Handed Weapon Style - as according to the statement of two-handed sword it seems to be the chosen style
of paladins

Equipment:

When we first meet Ajantis he is seen wearing a Chainmail a medium shield a helmet and a bastard sword. Sadly missing in the Enhanced edition is a unique Purple closed helmet.

Conclussion:

Ajantis Ilvastarr is a young hot-headed paladin in training. He is from waterdeep and is a noble. He was probably tutored in early years and became a squire in his early teens. He is devoted to Helm and respect courage, honor and justice. He is young and quite naive in his philosphy though, and sense evil everywhere. He is however very devoted to the cause and is a well-trained athletic young man, trying to be a role model and a example too all.

Feel free to come with feedback and input to keep the discussion flowing, and also to name which npc i should focus on next.
Post edited by Jimstrom on

Comments

• dustbubsydustbubsy Member Posts: 249
    Ajantis is quite a good NPC to start looking at stats with, because he's human, like us, and a simple archetype: the knight errant. His total roll is 88 which is pretty respectable, and he's balanced in all areas. I found him solid when I used him, though not remarkable, as he is let down by his bastard sword proficiency (very few good B-swords in BG1) and that he can't achieve mastery in weapons. He's not a great tank either because of his dexterity, but that can obviously be remedied with the Gauntlets.

For reference, here are the stats of his fellow knights:

Keldorn
    STR: 17
    DEX: 9
    CON: 17
    INT: 12
    WIS: 16
    CHA: 18

Anomen
    STR: 18/52
    DEX: 10
    CON: 16
    INT: 10
    WIS: 12 (16 if knighted)
    CHA: 13

Compared to his benefactor Keldorn, Ajantis has a big lead in dexterity, slightly less constitution and charisma, and 3 less wisdom. When you consider there's only one point difference in charisma, despite Ajantis only being a squire to Keldorn's minor celebrity status, I would say he must be pretty charming, and has a lot of potential as a leader (far more than Anomen) which makes it sad that he dies in BG2.

Compared to Anomen, he has less strength, more dexterity, intelligence, wisdom (at base) and charisma, showing him a lot more suited to the Order than Anomen. However even though he is more stable than Ano, he still suffers what Xan calls "[living in] a black-and-white world" which I imagine would be a problem for idealistic young paladins without a lot of experience of travelling with non-Order companions, who may not share the same beliefs as them.
  • JimstromJimstrom Member Posts: 99
    Thank you for the feedback.
    Would you like to make a suggestion of which NPC i should analyze next?
  • Balrog99Balrog99 Member Posts: 7,367
    Mazzy?
  • Papa_LouPapa_Lou Member Posts: 263
    Tiax! After all, when he rules, ALL NPC analyses shall be of him! You best get to practicing.
  • ArtonaArtona Member Posts: 1,077
    Skie.
  • lroumenlroumen Member Posts: 2,508
    Faldorn
  • trinittrinit Member Posts: 705
    You started with "A", I say just continue in alphabetic order, it seems most objective.

i do suggest leaving bg1 tutorial npc out of it.
    Okay i think i will do them in alpabetic order gamewise, so i guess next one is Branwen.
  • tbone1tbone1 Member Posts: 1,985
    Jimstrom said:

Okay i think i will do them in alpabetic order gamewise, so i guess next one is Branwen.

Alora? Please?
    right my bad, Alora it is.
  • dustbubsydustbubsy Member Posts: 249
    Alora's wisdom is one of the lowest in the series, only Minsc and Wilson are lower, and Shar-Teel ties. For some reason all the female thieves of BG have low wisdom (but high intelligence.) Imoen has the highest, and it's only 11.
    Well thievery is not a wise decision, here is the wisdom and intelligence score of all the thieves in the games.

BG

Imoen - Int 17 wis 11
    Montaron - Int 12 Wis 13
    Safana - Int 16 wis 9
    Coran - Int 14 Wis 9
    Skie - Int 15 Wis 8
    Alora - Int 14 Wis 7
    Tiax - Int 10 Wis 13

SOD

Glint - Int 14 Wis 16

BG 2

Yoshimo - Int 10 Wis 13
    Jan - Int 16 Wis 14
    Nalia - Int 17 Wis 9
    Hexxat - Int 14 Wis 12

Nearly all of them has quite low or average wisdom, the one exeption is Glint which i have not played with yet to see if the score fits him or not.

A lot of the men seem to have average intelligence as well with the one exeption of Jan.

Anyway i will come up with my Branwen profile in a couple of days.

• tbone1tbone1 Member Posts: 1,985
    I've always felt Branwen's stats were about right, except for strength. She is from a cold land; animals in colder climes tend to be bigger than their counterparts in warmer places. This is the same for humans as well; the one exception would be Polynesians, but they spend a LOT of time in the water, which means more rapid heat loss. So Branwen is descended from big strong people who, living by the sea, have a high protein diet.

Also, a cleric of a battle god should be strong. 13 is above average, but maybe 15 would be better for RP purposes.

Her alignment seems okay to me. I don't know the FR gods, but a war cleric wants to fight. War requires disciple because it's chaotic, but that means you need to,improvise as well. Branwen seems to be more about honor than alignment. She's probably more good than evil, but more anti-evil than good.

That's my take, anyway.

edited August 2017
    I agree that her strength is a bit low, however there is no Strength requirement for a Battleguard. True Neutral is a hard alignment to interpret correctly, but i still think that Chaotic Good fit her better.
    Post edited by Jimstrom on