Skip to content

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
edited October 2022 in Off-Topic
The user and all related content has been deleted.
Post edited by [Deleted User] on
ThacoBellZaghoulthemazingnessAerakarJuliusBorisov

Comments

• DreadKhanDreadKhan Member Posts: 3,857
    Tailchaser's Song is about an intelligent cat, and in 3.x that'd be an Awakened animal, thus a magic beast. ;)
    [Deleted User]
  • ZaghoulZaghoul Member, Moderator Posts: 3,938
    Last I read was Goblin Quest by Jim Hines, a few years ago. A goblin was the main character and of course he had a different perspective on things. B)
    [Deleted User]
  • themazingnessthemazingness Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 702
    I'd read a novel about kobolds. The ones in DDO have some of the best lines. "Kobold smell all. Kobold omnisniffient!"
    Montresor_SPThacoBell[Deleted User]
  • FardragonFardragon Member Posts: 4,511
    Unseen Academicals by Terry Pratchett has a ***spoiler*** as a central character.

Also, Nobby Nobbs.
    tbone1[Deleted User]
  • tbone1tbone1 Member Posts: 1,985
    Would children count as a small monstrous race? I'm, uh, asking for a friend.

I do recall a story from my youth, the James Whitcomb Riley poem "Little Orphant Annie", about a "guest" orphan staying with a family and her tales of "the gobl-in 'at got-cha 'ef ya don't watch out". That, and old the old German and Appalachian folk stories I heard from relatives, may have been my first impulse to like things like Dungeons and Dragons.
    [Deleted User]Balrog99
  • abacusabacus Member Posts: 1,307
    tbone1 said:

Would children count as a small monstrous race? I'm, uh, asking for a friend.

Yeah... I was going to suggest Lord of the Flies...
    Montresor_SPStummvonBordwehr[Deleted User]lolien
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    edited September 2017
    Goblin Kingdom by Inja Haruno comes to mind. It's an completed Japanese Web Novel with 370 chapters. But keep in mind that the English translations are currently at chapter 124. So you can't read everything in one go as of yet. Luckily the translators are pretty active on their project. Nevertheless, it's a nice read for something "darker" in-between.
    [Deleted User]Aerakar
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Zaghoul
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited September 2017
    Post edited by [Deleted User] on
    Orcs: First Blood and Orcs: Bad Blood by Stan Nicholls are true gems if you want to read about authentic orcs. Similarly, Christoph Hardebusch has written a novel series about trolls, commonly known as Die Trolle in German. But I could not affirm whenever his works were also published in English for the international market as well.

Like Goblin Kingdom, there are lots of reincarnation stories out there about human-sized or larger monstrous protagonists on the Light/Web Novel market. Overlord would be a good start, as that light novel series can be bought off from amazon. Kumo Desu ga, Nani ka? is about the life of a human-sized monster spider. Lots of humor involved in that one too.
    [Deleted User]
    Nevertheless, you might also be interested in checking out some of the Warhammer franchise's novels. Just be aware that there are probably even more Warhamemr novels than D&D novels out there. It's a long list to say the least.

The skaven, or batshit crazy ratpeople as some people call them, have at least two novels dedicated for them. I know of Headtaker by David Guymer and Grey Seer by C. L. Werner.
    [Deleted User]
  • TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,262
    I sometimes make stories about monstrous races or unusual individuals. Including:
    A genius gnoll wizard.
    A renegade ulitharid who fled to the surface to escape illithid society.
    A lawful good lich who goes on adventures with his apprentice and her boyfriend.
    An adventuring party consisting of an elven ranger, a drow wild mage, an amethyst dragon bard, and a medusa cleric of Sune.

These are all, more or less, private stories though. I keep them in my head and almost never tell anyone else about them. None of them are written down.
    ThacoBell
  • SquireSquire Member Posts: 511
    I seem to remember reading a Dragonlance book that focussed on a group of Draconians. I think it was called Doom Brigade, or something like that.
    Zaghoul[Deleted User]SethDavis
    Speaking of DL, I loved the Villians series, one being the though the eyes of the black dragon Khisanth.
    [Deleted User]
  • dunbardunbar Member Posts: 1,603
    A carnivorous black swan features in "The Fionavar Tapestry" by Guy Gavriel Kay, along with 'lios alfar' and a race of giants that are opposed to violence, plus a huge chunk of Arthurian myth all woven into a wonderful trilogy - one of my favourite reads
    [Deleted User]
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited September 2017
    Zaghoul
  • SethDavisSethDavis Member Posts: 1,812
    Oh yeah, now you mention it there's also one for the gully dwarves (though monsterous may be a matter of opinion), some minotaurs, some hobgoblins. Weird I forgot those.
    Zaghoul[Deleted User]
    SethDavis said:

Oh yeah, now you mention it there's also one for the gully dwarves (though monsterous may be a matter of opinion), some minotaurs, some hobgoblins. Weird I forgot those.

Yup, everytime I head to the Iron Throne and see the description on that halberd I am reminded of the Minotaurs of Krynn.
    SethDavis[Deleted User]
  • SethDavisSethDavis Member Posts: 1,812
    yeah. Don't think I ever got my hands on the third one, but the first two of these were good
    https://www.goodreads.com/series/40587-dragonlance-the-minotaur-wars
    [Deleted User]Zaghoul
  • BillyYankBillyYank Member Posts: 2,768
    I see no one's mentioned the War God series by David Weber.

The main character, Bahzell, is a Hradani. The Hradani are the big strong barbarian race (complete with rage), who fought for the evil wizards in the great war. They're hated and feared by the other races of man. Now the god of war, truth and justice has asked Bahzell to become his newest champion. He's not exactly an orc paladin, but he's pretty close.

The worldbuild is obviously influenced a lot by D&D, and contains quite a few fantasy tropes, but some are played straight and some are twisted. In keeping with Baen Books crack-dealer marketing style, the first book is free.
    [Deleted User]