Skip to content

Why Can't I Cast Iron Skin (or Any Other 5th Level Druid Spell)?

My Cleric 9/Ranger 9 can cast all druid spells through 4th--Goodberry, Call Lightning, Call Woodland Being, etc.--but can't cast Pixie Dust, Iron Skins, etc. What am I missing? Thanks.

Comments

• BorekBorek Member Posts: 513
    Mbando said:

My Cleric 9/Ranger 9 can cast all druid spells through 4th--Goodberry, Call Lightning, Call Woodland Being, etc.--but can't cast Pixie Dust, Iron Skins, etc. What am I missing? Thanks.

By default i believe the Druid spells are limited to 4th to match your Ranger in the EE, unlike the original game. It is possible to tweak using a mod or editor.
  • KhyronKhyron Member Posts: 626
    Ya, cleric/ranger now works as intended.. no more druid spells beyond 4th
  • MbandoMbando Member Posts: 15
    Thanks for the information. So, does this mean I have made a huge mistake in my char choice?
  • BorekBorek Member Posts: 513
    Mbando said:

Thanks for the information. So, does this mean I have made a huge mistake in my char choice?

It is a drawback for sure but it's still a viable class. You can adjust some settings and/or load a mod to convert it back to the original version and unlock the 5-7th druid spells if you really hate it like this.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    ThacoBellNoobacca
    Again, I appreciate the responses. Very bummed about the level 5 spells, as that was what I primarily wanted for the build. I'm playing on a Mac, so EEKeeper isn't really an option. Oh well!
  • jsavingjsaving Member Posts: 1,083
    Yes, cleric/ranger is one of the strongest melee/buffing characters in the game so it is by no means a mistake to go that route. The lack of iron skins just takes cleric/ranger from an incredibly large easy button to a somewhat smaller but still significantly sized easy button.
    tbone1ThacoBell
    jsaving said:

Yes, cleric/ranger is one of the strongest melee/buffing characters in the game so it is by no means a mistake to go that route. The lack of iron skins just takes cleric/ranger from an incredibly large easy button to a somewhat smaller but still significantly sized easy button.

How would you play a Ranger/Cleric different than a Fighter/Cleric?
  • jsavingjsaving Member Posts: 1,083
    Both are very strong and have similar roles in the party, though being able to cast entangle, call lightning and summon insects gives the cleric/ranger some extra casting versatility. On the other hand, if you're looking for straight DPS and are min-maxing your party, a half-orc fighter/cleric is a very solid option for sure.
  • PokotaPokota Member Posts: 858
    Mbando said:

How would you play a Ranger/Cleric different than a Fighter/Cleric?

I can't speak for the others, but adding Entangle, Barkskin, and Summon Insects to my repertoire would always be helpful.

• JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    Mbando said:

Again, I appreciate the responses. Very bummed about the level 5 spells, as that was what I primarily wanted for the build. I'm playing on a Mac, so EEKeeper isn't really an option. Oh well!

The EE-Keeper can work on a MAC, see https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/25118/ee-keeper-for-os-x-via-wineskin-updated-to-v1-0-4-0/p1
    TressetMontresor_SP
  • Montresor_SPMontresor_SP Member Posts: 2,208
    Tresset said:

Grond0 said:

If you want to unlock the higher level spells then find the line
    SetPrivateProfileString('Game Options','Cleric Ranger Spells','1')
    in your LUA file and change the 1 to a 0.

Note that this does not make new spells of a given level available to characters that have already attained that level of spells. Changing this option would not, for instance, add Ironskins to your level 5 spells since you have already attained that level, but it will give you druid exclusive spells, like Fire Seeds, for level 6 when you reach it. If you want to get the druid spells without abandoning your current run, you would have to use EEKeeper.

Also, If you don't want to fiddle with the .lua file, you can use @argent77's UI mod which reveals hidden gameplay options.
    Out of curiosity, would it work to edit the .lua file, then get level drained by e.g. a vampire, and then restoring your levels? (A more modern version of the good old "Grape Jelly trick".)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited October 2017
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Post edited by [Deleted User] on