Skip to content

Need help moving .CHR files to iPad on iOS 11. Please help!

I have iFunBox and iExplorer, but I can only access the documents folder. When I put the .CHR files in there, the game doesn’t see them. File sharing is enabled in BG2EE v2.4 on iOS, so there must be a way to get my character files into the game. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I have a 10.5” iPad Pro running iOS 11.

Comments

• JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,723
    The following file extensions are recognized in the game on iOS.

bg1character, bg2character, iwdcharacter

These file types are split up into 6 types.
    *character - extracts to home:/characters

https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/comment/906080/#Comment_906080
  • Farcry360Farcry360 Member Posts: 9
    So if I have a BG2EE character on my PC, and the file is named GUY.CHR, then I need to rename the file to GUY.BG2CHARACTER ?

I have 80 BG2EE characters on my PC. Can I rename the entire folder, or do I have to change the file extensions on all 80 of them individually?
  • PibaroPibaro Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 2,989
    Zip the files
    Rename the zip to .bg2character
    Email it
    Open the email in your ipad
    Open the attache with a long tap
    You should be able to open it with bg2ee. Do it.
    It should work
    Ok, so I added all 80 characters to a zip file named “.BG2CHARACTER.ZIP”, then emailed it to myself. I’m unable to open it with BG2EE on my iPad...
  • PibaroPibaro Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 2,989
    No.
    Rename the zip like this:
    Char.bg2character without .zip
    edited October 2017
    It still doesn’t work... I can’t open it in BG2EE

It has .zip at the end because it’s a .zip file

I have 80 characters. Do I have to do them all individually?
    Post edited by Farcry360 on
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,723
    Farcry360 said:

I have 80 characters. Do I have to do them all individually?

Yes, each character file should be moved separately.
    Thanks. It works now. I really wish there was an easier way, or a way to do multiple at the same time though.
    Ok, so the iPad recognizes that they are BG2EE files, and asks me if I want to copy them to BG2EE, but when I try to import one in the character generation screen, none of them show up. Any ideas?
  • tbone1tbone1 Member Posts: 1,985
    edited October 2017
    That is odd; if I've done this once I've done this a dozen times without a problem.

Do the names of your files have any nonword characters in them, i.e. anything other than a letter, number, or underscore? The '.' is okay. I ask because the iOS filesystem is Unix-oriented under the hood, and sometimes the software can get snarky if that happens.
    Nope.

I just installed the game though, but I haven’t played it yet. I only mention this because on a PC the character folder isn’t generated until you export a character for the first time. I haven’t done that on my iPad. Would this cause an issue?
    edited October 2017
    When I choose “copy to BG2EE”, it opens BG2EE and says “copying”, but it doesn’t show up when I go to the “Import Character” screen.

I zipped the .CHR file on my PC and then renamed it to DRUID.BG2CHARACTER. Then I emailed it to myself on my iPad. My iPad knows that it’s a BG2 file. This seems to work for everyone else. Any ideas?

Are the files case sensitive?