Skip to content

Hey guys!

Hi everybody!
So I'm new here and new to playing BG. I've had the game for not even a week and am completely hooked.

I could use some help with a few things though...I basically created an entire party with zero understanding of the classes and abilities and I am now realizing that I made some really bad choices. I'm wondering how important it actually is to have characters use the weapons they are proficient in?
I have a fighter/mage/thief character and I made him proficient with katanas and two-handed swords. I can't find katanas at this point in the game and he is missing 1 point of strength to use a two-handed sword...will his strength go up eventually when he levels up? And I found out that thieves can't use two-handed swords after doing some research, but would that apply to a multi class character?
And I have a thief character that I made proficient with crossbows. It turns out he couldn't use a heavy crossbow but what about other types of crossbows?

And do I need to add the people I meet to my party? I mean I get that they have better abilities than the characters I created but is adding these people necessary to make the story move forward? Or does it just lead to side quests?

I'm starting to learn more about the classes and abilities but I feel like I have a long way to go :)

Comments

• tbone1tbone1 Member Posts: 1,985
    Welcome! And what @mlnevese said.

Also, if you pick up the game's NPCs along the way, you can learn something about their personalities, which is part of the games' charm, especially in BG2
  • ber5nie5ber5nie5 Member Posts: 426
    Hail and well met! Welcome to the forums!
  • Grond0Grond0 Member Posts: 7,317
    Glad you're enjoying yourself.

Just to fill in a couple of gaps:
    - your multi-class character can use any weapons or items available to any of their classes.
    - thieves can use light crossbows (and the best crossbows in both BG1 and BG2 are light ones).
  • RavenslightRavenslight Member Posts: 1,609
    Welcome to the forum! :)
  • mf2112mf2112 Member, Moderator Posts: 1,919
    Welcome! Feel free to ask anytime if you run into problems, lots of good people will chime in to help.