Skip to content

Problem with accessing BG1:TotSC areas

I've finished BG1, installed TotSC and was unable to run it due to the system error ("this version will only run on english language operating systems"), so I installed the latest patch and then was able to run the game. I loaded my Final save, was transferred to Ulgoth's Beard, but when I leave it, I cannot return back since I cannot see it on the world map, and neither Durlag's tower. When I'm leaving UB the world map shows I'm in the east part of Baldur's gate, so when I click on it I appear in this area. I'm also unable to access UB from Farm/Zombie area or Bandit's camp.

When I run TotSC with game's predefined Save Game (Mission pack save) the game runs without any problem, I can see the UB and Durlag's tower on the map, leave them and re-enter without any problem. Also this is the only Save I have in the BG directory, I cannot locate my other original saves from BG1 even though they are still available in the game. So I'm unable to transfer them to BG2.

Would anyone know what is the solution here? I've tried to google the answer, several people also had this problem but nowhere I could find how to resolve this, so I'm hoping someone here will know. Thank you in advance

Comments

• DoubledimasDoubledimas Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 1,286
    Is this vanilla BG/TotSC that you're talking about or the EE?
  • Umberlee1Umberlee1 Member Posts: 2
    It is the original version of BG that I've had for many years and never had such issue with it, I guess it is connected with the recent W7 installation I had and the BG patch that I've now applied.
  • bob_vengbob_veng Member Posts: 2,308
    Umberlee1 said:

Would anyone know what is the solution here?

bg:ee

• PaulaMigratePaulaMigrate Member Posts: 1,201
    edited October 2017
    You are saying
    - you play the original game and create a save.
    - you install the extension
    - you continue the extended game from the old save

The only possible way to get that work is :
    - make a dedicated save from your current situation
    - exit the game
    - open the file baldur.sav inside of your savegame (you can do that with e.g. Near Infinity)
    - Then remove worldmap.wmp from that savegame.
    - When you start the game again, the revised worldmap with the new references, areas and connections will be loaded. However, you will need to explore the worldmap again because the information about which areas you already visited will be lost. This does not affect areas themself but just the worldmap.
    JuliusBorisovGate70Kusel
  • IsayaIsaya Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 752
    TotSC comes with a tool to convert save games from BG to TotSC, in order to add the new locations on the map (what @PaulaMigrate explained, but automatically). In principle, you should have add a popup to propose this conversion, either at installation or when running the game after TotSC was installed.
    You can also the converter by hand: it will allow you to convert one save game at a time, more precisely the .WMP file in a save game directory. The tool is called MConvert.exe and should be in the game directory.

Play safe and make a backup of your save games before using it.
    Gate70