Skip to content

Deleted.

Yulaw9460Yulaw9460 Member Posts: 634
edited November 2018 in Off-Topic
Deleted.
Post edited by Yulaw9460 on

Comments

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • MathsorcererMathsorcerer Member Posts: 3,037
    I concur--unless you are running a character with Good Natured or you are wanting to tag non-combat skills, set CH to 4, pick up Sulik as early as possible (sell everything you can afford to dump to pay off his debt), then get Cassidy because I don't recall if you can talk Metzger out of freeing Vic without paying him. Sulik is pretty handy with a sharpened spear in addition to the sledgehammer (but I once gave him a Ripper, which turned out to be hilarious), Cassidy always got an assault rifle (later upgraded to Gauss rifle), and Vic always got a Pancor Jackhammer.

Every now and then I took Magnetic Personality just to add a third party member, usually a toss-up between Myron and Marcus (depending upon what alignment I was playing).

If you have played the game before then you are aware that armor >> weapons in this game, so upgrade armor first.

I haven't played Fallout 2 in *forever*.
    [Deleted User]
  • SkatanSkatan Member, Moderator Posts: 5,352
    I usually have 4, even though they are seldom more than glorified packrats for my mainchar. Remember you can always just pop two mentats to increase CHA +2 to add another follower. There are situations where you will lose followers so always buy up all the mentats you can so you have a stash to take from if you need to drop companions and then re-enter them to the party.

NPC-wise I think Sully is the best. Cassidy second and Vic and Marcus shared on third. Sully is fast, moves far and is lethal with any SMG. All the other NPCs move so short and just end up being far behind in battles, especially the mutant due to his broken leg. But then again, I always play with maxed agility and action boy to get 12 AP and the added movement AP as well, so I like speed. If you go melee, then make sure Sully is melee as well otherwise he will burst you in the ass every so often, haha..

Sully: SMGs (well, someone have to waste all those 10mm ammos right?)
    Vic: Sniper rifles mostly since he is always so far behind anyways.
    Cass: Always shotguns
    Marcus: Big guns

If you plan your char well, they aren't really needed most of the times though.
    [Deleted User]
  • Yulaw9460Yulaw9460 Member Posts: 634
    edited November 2018
    Deleted.
    [Deleted User]
    Looks good, but personally I would go for 9 INT and 9 AGI since you can increase them with +1 during the course of the game, but you could probably argue for 10 INT at start anyways since skill points do not come retroactively and the +1 INT comes pretty late if you do not rush it. So to get 9/9 I would drop STR 1 since the power armor adds +4, but I guess it depends on what weapons you are aiming for (pun intended, ho ho ho).

Also, luck can be fairly redundant when you get Sniper, but that is at level 24 or something, so that's quite late.

Anyways, gl and hf!
    edited November 2018
    Deleted.
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    @Skatan has good advice, if a bit meta/glitchy. Use a temporary boost to hire your 3rd companion at 4 CHA. Problem solved ;)
    Yulaw9460 said:

Well, my perk progression doesn't include perks that increase stats.

@Yulaw9460 I wasn't refering to wasting perks for stats, I was referring to something else in the game. But if you don't know about this I guess it's a spoiler :) If you want to meta it, just google it and you'll find out easily what I mean but otherwise you can just play the game and found out yourself. Remember no stat can be increased past 10, so have that in mind when planning the char.

Yeah, and a bit of meta as well, when you read skill books and magazines, reduce the diff level to lowest 'cause then you get more points. Then up it again after reading and continue on. Saves some invested points on those skills you just want for some minor quests or dialogues, like first aid and unarmed fighting.
    edited November 2018
    Deleted.
    If you have the utility where you can change the random encounter rate on the overland map, for fun set it to maximum then tag Outdoorsman--you get xp for every encounter you may choose to avoid. Some random fights you find, especially any like "marauders fighting Hubologists" or "Vault City patrol fighting raiders" can net you some valuable weapons early in the game.

Most people will suggest that you ignore the Gambling skill, but if you tag it or just dump skill points into it and you have it at 100% when you first hit New Reno, you can actually break the game's economy at the slot machines--the game was not designed to account for a lower-level Chosen One having about $100,000 to spend.
    Yulaw9460 said:

How else can I increase Agility in the game without Gain Perks, since you recommended a 9? Besides Small Frame, that is? There's a Perception boost I know of, but the Agility boost I've apparently missed.

Sorry man, I remembered incorrectly:

Strength: Red memory module - found on the second level of the vault in Vault City
    Perception: Green memory module - found in the Mariposa Military Base 3rd lvl
    Charisma: Blue memory module - found in the Enclave armory in Navarro
    Intelligence: Yellow memory module - found in Sierra Army Depot

You're right about AGI. I should prolly brush up on my knowledge before I go and give false advice, hehe.. :)
    edited November 2018
    Deleted.
    Aah, ok I see what you're aiming at now. With fast shot 12 AP and using pistols you'll fire enough times in a round to kill everything. Early game the magnum revolver has 2 AP to fire if I recall correctly and if you use two on switch you don't have to waste AP to reload either. Always liked fast shot with pistols the best for some reason.

Would be fun to read some updates once you start to play, if you feel like sharing.
    edited November 2018
    Deleted.
  • QuickbladeQuickblade Member Posts: 957
    My personal preference is loads of characters. For melee, Sulik because I don't trust him to not burst an SMG and hit bystanders and cause all hell to break out, plus Goris. For ranged, Cassidy and Robobrain. Maybe either Dogmeat for nostalgia or K-9 for amusement.

Although I've also edited NPC protos to be slightly stronger, especially the non-humans, in particular their native armor.
    Yulaw9460 said:

I guess I've grown fond of blowing their heads off.

I prefer going for the groin for the humiliation. It also doesn't have much of an accuracy penalty and often results in knockdowns or unconsciousness, so win-win. If I'm looking to make a quick kill, then like Boo, I GO FOR THE EYES!
    Skatan said:

Yeah, and a bit of meta as well, when you read skill books and magazines, reduce the diff level to lowest 'cause then you get more points. Then up it again after reading and continue on. Saves some invested points on those skills you just want for some minor quests or dialogues, like first aid and unarmed fighting.

This is backwards.

Skill points from reading books have decreasing returns the more skill you have.

So you raise the difficulty before reading so your apparent skill is as low as possible so you get the most from the book.

For the OP, if I had to pick between Sulik, Vic, and Cassidy, I'd dump Vic. Like I said above, have Sulik run melee interference with sledgehammer, and Cassidy is the better small arms shooter between he and Vic, unless Vic has a lot more levels.
    Skatan
    edited November 2018
    Deleted.
    edited November 2018
    Deleted.
    Skatan[Deleted User]Mathsorcerer
    Haha, great sum-up! Thanks for sharing, makes me wanna play again.

About killing Metzger early I took him out in a very cheesy way by firing a shot and then running out of the house and standing outside the window on the west side of the building. The cheesy part was that his guards kept running out one after another, perfectly lining up for shots with burst when they ran towards me and around the corner of the building. They came out one or two per turn which was manageble. Not very heroic though. And for some reason they never targeted Sully who kept running back and forth attacking them while they ran towards mainchar.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    edited November 2018
    Deleted.
    [Deleted User]Skatan
    I once got the Bridge special encounter while walking from Klamath to The Den. The Bridgekeeper's Robes make the early part of the game extremely easy, including taking out Metzger and his crew.
    Skatan
  • QuickbladeQuickblade Member Posts: 957
    edited October 2017
    Yulaw9460 said:

Right. Some updates. I of course got the Restoration mod, since the original was bugged at every turn.

I've done a good run, so to speak. Karma 749 and at level 9.

Hrm, I'm L12 and 663 Karma and in New Reno (SAD) at present actually. I did nearly all the VC/Gecko quests except those requiring NCR/New Reno travel, but I left Metzger alive and Modoc's main quest alone, but did all the lesser quests.

Once I was L11 I realized "Hey, I need to pick up Goris and Brainbot or I'll be L20 and they can't level for no content to do" and so went from Gecko back to Den for the car, then New Reno for SAD (clear it and contaminate it, get Skynet, then ignore Wright forever till I massacre the scum families). Then I'll head for V13 for Goris and then Navarro because I have a very soft spot for the talking deathclaws and love the ending. And I despise the bugged bad ending that insinuates YOU are personally responsible for the genocide of an entire intelligent species.

And then I'll just clear the map of quests once I've got my power team assembled.

Wrong level, was 12 not 15.
    Post edited by Quickblade on
    Skatan
    edited November 2018
    Deleted.
    Mathsorcerer
    edited November 2018
    Deleted.
    Skatan
    Yes, if you optimize the power plant by getting the reactor holodisk and using the Vault City computer, Gecko will get the "bad" ending where they are overtaken by Vault City. Currently, the "ideal" ending for Gecko is to repair the plant but not optimize it, which results in a truce between the two towns. The "best" ending is not possible to attain because there is a bug in Gecko's "end of game" script--apparently you were supposed to get it by repairing/optimizing the plant by taking the reactor disk to the Brain then sharing Gordon's economic disk with McClure but I do not know if anyone has fixed that script.

Even when playing an "evil" character I almost always wound up repairing the plant because it equates to a free level.
    edited November 2018
    Deleted.
    I forget which mods I had for Fallout2--whichever one restored The Abbey and the quest to go after Sulik's sister. It has been too long since I played that game that I forget what changes it made.
    Never played with mods. next time I play, I'd like to rescue Sully's sister and visit the Abbey! Saw that in a lets play once, looked really cool.

What would be a different but interresting build to play? I've played regular rifle guy/sniper, fast shot pistol guy (no aim, lowest AP per shot possible), melee slayer (best char ever) and that's it I think. Never played a "thief" doing lots of reverse pickpocketing and stuff like that. Sure, I've killed some peeps with neg.pickpock dynamite, but is there a build that does it more?
    edited November 2018
    Deleted.
    Skatan