Skip to content

How do you beat Mages in this game?

2»

Comments

• ElendarElendar Member Posts: 831
    DreadKhan said:

Bigfish said:

Elendar said:

There is this nice Potion of Clarity you can find upstairs in the Candlekeep Inn that will protect you from the fear spell that Tarnesh casts.

This. Tarnesh drops like a sack of potatoes if he can't land horror on you.

Uh, one Magic Missile can kill a lvl 1 mage, and he gets more than one per cast.

That said, if you can reliably interrupt him, you can kill him.
    If you're a mage, you should be using the Shield spell anyways, which would protect you from the Magic Missile.
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    Elendar said:

DreadKhan said:

Bigfish said:

Elendar said:

There is this nice Potion of Clarity you can find upstairs in the Candlekeep Inn that will protect you from the fear spell that Tarnesh casts.

Uh, one Magic Missile can kill a lvl 1 mage, and he gets more than one per cast.

If you're a mage, you should be using the Shield spell anyways, which would protect you from the Magic Missile.
    You would have the shield spell as your only spell?
    DreadKhan
  • ElendarElendar Member Posts: 831
    ThacoBell said:

Elendar said:

DreadKhan said:

Bigfish said:

Elendar said:

You would have the shield spell as your only spell?
    I have before... but I wouldn't play a single classed generalist mage.. If it wasn't a multi than it would be a sorcerer, which could have two spells.
  • JCPheonixJCPheonix Member Posts: 21

I still don't like the way status effects are in this game. IMO they are too strong, which drives everyone to find ways to completely avoid them, which then makes many parts too easy.

IMO the duration of status effects should be shorter and somewhat randomized per person, so they don't all run for exactly the same duration. Fear, for example, should last between 1 and 5 rounds, not 1 whole turn (1 minute).

The problem with all of the status effects is that, for the most part, if any status effects lands, it is game over.

I agree with you. The sleep spell is too powerful. Is there any mod that does what you said - rebalancing spells?

I cannot reliably interrupt Tarnishes spell casting with bow and arrow, or daggers, which has 2 weapon speed. The gameplay is a bit random on who attacks who and when. It is not consistent.

I'm playing on the Battle enhancer mod, so Tarnishes attacks me as soon as I'm in range.

One magic missile from him can kill one of my lvl 1 party members. I think the purpose of Zxar and Montarono is to die in this battle lol
    StummvonBordwehr
  • DreadKhanDreadKhan Member Posts: 3,857
    If you have a cleric, you can make them a real nuisance by spamming Command, which can shut down low level enemies without a save. Iirc, it worked vs Tarnesh on a solo, and it made him easy pickings for my cleric.

I don't feel like a filthy cheat using Command like I do casting Sleep, even though both can be a death sentence.
    Loldrup
  • broshimobroshimo Member Posts: 19
    Sleep is a godsend in the first couple levels but after you reach level 2 or 3, kobolds, gnolls, hobgoblins, wolves, etc. really aren't a threat anymore. Plus, making a beeline to High Hedge is risky because of the skeleton hordes with throwing daggers. So the biggest threats to your party are the Nashkel assassins, and I think all of them are immune to Sleep.
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    Sleep is fantastic throughout BG1 and SoD. All the human enemies in BG1 are susceptible to it. I believe any ogre that is not a beserker are also susceptible.
    Pantalion
    Solo sorcerers can get a ton of mileage out of sleep in BG1, tons of enemies that could be a threat are vulnurable. Still can get roflstomped by those circles of bandits though!
    tbone1
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    ThacoBellirving15Proont
    Well, he is a low level thief, and a beginner, so he might be a pretty bad warrior, I know trying to BS with Alora isn't a good time, even with he great damage potential.

Still, with reloads could work. Or he could pick up Viconia next door and Command his way to victory. ;)
  • MirandelMirandel Member Posts: 526
    Back-stab and initiating dialogs by another party member is a great tactic for a low level thief in general. OP might want to use it later on Silke, for example (another tough mage (ok, bard but still) Charname faces pretty soon in game).
  • wsnavigatorwsnavigator Member Posts: 17
    Recently played a F/M/T with good dexterity and bow skills. Although I was at level 1, the meeting with Tarnesh happened to be quite short. While he was busy with casting Magic Mirror and paying attention to the guards surrounding him, my character managed to shoot twice with the bow and Tarnesh died. It was surprising it was that easy.

• RedrakeRedrake Member Posts: 426
    You can also use Montaron for that if you feel like it. Or just have Xzar cast 2 Larloch Minor Drains on him.
  • JCPheonixJCPheonix Member Posts: 21

Is it me or has no one acknowledged that the OP said he's a thief?
    - Hide in shadows.
    - Get behind Tarnesh.
    - Have Xzar approach to initiate dialogue.
    - As soon as the dialogue ends, backstab. Then keep stabbing.

Wizards can't cast spells at what they can't see. Xzar might get tagged with a Magic Missile but, in the immortal words of Ivan Drago, "if he dies, he dies"

My stealth skills aren't high enough. Hide in shadows keeps failing.
    JCPheonix said:

Is it me or has no one acknowledged that the OP said he's a thief?
    - Hide in shadows.
    - Get behind Tarnesh.
    - Have Xzar approach to initiate dialogue.
    - As soon as the dialogue ends, backstab. Then keep stabbing.

Wizards can't cast spells at what they can't see. Xzar might get tagged with a Magic Missile but, in the immortal words of Ivan Drago, "if he dies, he dies"

My stealth skills aren't high enough. Hide in shadows keeps failing.
    It'll help if its night, and you need to try lots of times at low stealth to get invisible. Hide from just around the corner, and as soon as you're hidden rush towards Tarnesh, get behind and stab before he casts Mirror Image. Its not actually an easy fight for some builds at lvl 1.
    ThacoBellJCPheonix