Skip to content

Ultimate Shar-teel build...

malachi151malachi151 Member Posts: 152
I'm planing on running all the way through with an evil party, which I've never done, and am working out how best to optimize Shar-teel.

I'm thinking this:

Dual to Thief at level 6 with 3 pips in Longswords. This should allow for getting 3 pips in Longswords and 3 pips in Two-Weapon Style when you get the thief pip at level 8.

Put all of her thieving points into Detect Illusion and Detect Traps. These are the two abilities you can use with full armor on. This will also be the first time I've maxed out Detect Illusion in BG1.

Teamed up with Edwin he'll be able to cast Invis on her for backstabs and then she can go straight into combat. Once Edwin gets Improved Invis it will be even better!
JuliusBorisovStupid_PunslolienPermidion_StarkAedan

Comments

• BoasterBoaster Member Posts: 622
    Neat ideas. I never thought of detect traps and illusions being employeed while wearing armor. Gives me some new ideas. Thanks!
  • sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    you might want to dual her at level 7 fighter, it can feel like a bit of trek back to hitting level 8 in your thief level ( which can happen in BG1 ) but having that 7th level of fighter gives her that extra 1/2 attack per round, so then she will have 3 attacks per round while dual wielding, or 4 with haste, pretty solid
    StummvonBordwehrlolienZaghoul[Deleted User]
  • ShikaoShikao Member Posts: 376
    Well, while you can Detect Traps in full armour, you won't be able to disarm them.
  • ZaghoulZaghoul Member, Moderator Posts: 3,938
    sarevok57 said:

you might want to dual her at level 7 fighter, it can feel like a bit of trek back to hitting level 8 in your thief level ( which can happen in BG1 ) but having that 7th level of fighter gives her that extra 1/2 attack per round, so then she will have 3 attacks per round while dual wielding, or 4 with haste, pretty solid

That's always been my doin. Playing with just one or two other NPC's makes it much quicker. Given here dislike for thieves and respect for warriors, I usually just train her in detecting illusions, and setting IED's, with a lil more in F/R traps and pick locks to deal with the enemies said traps and locked fortresses. Seems to fit her personality anyway. B)
    sarevok57
  • DrHappyAngryDrHappyAngry Member Posts: 1,577
    I generally prefer to dual her at level 3. She's useful for much more of the game, and you don't need another thief throughout the rest of the game. Since Thieves get a weapon pip at level 4, you'll hit 3 in longswords as soon as you get your fighter levels back. She'll have just as many points in longswords if you had dualed at sixth or 7th level if you dual at 3rd. She might miss out on the extra half an attack for not reaching 7th level, but she's useful and has her full abilities longer.

And as was mentioned, there's Drizzt's armor, which you can use all thieving abilities with.
    Loldrup
  • malachi151malachi151 Member Posts: 152
    Interesting, I hadn't though about dualing at 3. But you do get less of her much needed HP when you do that. But I definitely don't want to dual her at 7. Yeah, it does technically end up with a superior build by end game, but unless you are in a 2 man group you've basically converted a fighter to a thief and you hardly ever get to use the Fighter/Thief.

Yeah, dualing at 3 does sound nice...
    Loldrup
  • DrHappyAngryDrHappyAngry Member Posts: 1,577
    The HP difference between dualing her at 3rd vs 7th is only like 16 HP.

BTW, getting from level 1 thief to level 4 is only 8750XP, so that's a super short amount of downtime if you do a few easy high xp quests then.
    LoldrupPermidion_StarkJuliusBorisovGrum
  • shaldonshaldon Member Posts: 37
    I've dualled her at level 6 in my current evil run, almost by mistake due to killing all the basilisks first and so she starts on too many XPs to dual earlier! I gave her 3 pips in longswords, legacy of the masters and the shadow armour. I put all her points into Set Traps and then hiding/backstabbing. She smacks down my charname F/M/T for backstabs every time! I already have Monty on traps so no need there. I also gave her the boots of speed from the cloakwood mine so she can get away, if needed - no call for heavy armour.

I have 4 thieves now, all multi or dual. Sending all 4 for backstabs is quite fun, kind of race against time to get in position before someone blows their cover! Always double up on the toughest wizard as rolling a 1 for a backstab sucks.
    JuliusBorisovBalrog99Mantis37
  • malachi151malachi151 Member Posts: 152
    So I realized that by dualing at 3 instead of 6 you lose out on both some HP and THAC0. Still, if you are running in a party of 4+ I think its best to dual at 3 or else it will take a long time to get her fighter levels back.
  • Abby_ZeroAbby_Zero Member Posts: 68
    My main character has 18/58 strength-same as Shar-feel. ‘Til I get to the Candlekeep Catatombs that is. ;)
  • DreadKhanDreadKhan Member Posts: 3,857
    Thief THAC0 isn't as terrible in BG1 vs BG2, and with mastery she gets a nice +3 to help out.

Incidently, you can make her a pretty competent archer too. You don't start with pips for it though!
  • RedrakeRedrake Member Posts: 426
    In my current BG1EE run, I have her in my evil party (actually she makes a good tank even in neutral parties).

What I really hate about the modifications Beamdog made is that they totally made her a dual-wielder. So what if she has 17 Dex? This is 2E (or more like 2.5E), there are no benefits from having high dex and dual-wield.

She is definitely one of my favorite characters in BG1. Is too bad Bioware never added her in Throne of Bhaal as they promised.
  • PantalionPantalion Member Posts: 2,137
    Hm? Best build?

Level 7 Fighter - all proficiencies into Dagger (3 pips) (soloing until you hit level 6 makes this part quicker).
    Dual to thief, level up to 3.
    Wait until she has enough Exp, then level her from 3 to 8 all at once, getting 2 proficiency points to spend into Dagger proficiency, increasing proficiency to GM (unless they fixed that particular quirk).

Grand Mastery in Daggers, dual wielding for 7/2 APR with dagger of venom and heart of the golem.
    StummvonBordwehr
    @Pantalion

Your suggestion is missing one point. Backstabs.

Use her for backstabs as a thief. Due to her high Str, those can lead to incredible results. I once had her do a backstab that killed in the final battle Angelo with one stab (yeah, poetic justice really).
    tbone1Pantalion
  • bob_vengbob_veng Member Posts: 2,308
    daggers aren't a very interesting weapon for backstabbing (sadly)
    bob_veng said:

Longtooth is the best dagger for high str backstabbing.

Unfortunately you get it a bit late into BG1.
  • PantalionPantalion Member Posts: 2,137
    bob_veng said:

You can do exactly the same thing with Long Swords, but personally I like a good stab with the Dagger of Venom if I'm stabbing at all.
    DreadKhanStummvonBordwehr