Skip to content

Stranger Things **spoilers**

UnderstandMouseMagicUnderstandMouseMagic Member Posts: 2,147
edited November 2017 in Off-Topic
So I'm currently rewatching series 1, enjoying it even more than the first time. And have finished series 2.

So, as it's something of a big hit at the moment, mentioned everywhere, and it shows the children playing D&D, thought there should be some acknowledgement here for it.

I haven't played D&D except for BG so was hoping those more knowledgeble would post any things they have picked up on that would only be known to "real" D&D players.

So I obviously got Demagorgon and was ridiculously delighted when there was an episode called "Mind Flayer" but anything else only a true D&D person would pick up?

Also, does anybody think this will cause renewed interest in D&D?
Post edited by UnderstandMouseMagic on
tbone1Abby_ZeroMathsorcerer[Deleted User]

Comments

• Dev6Dev6 Member Posts: 719
    I'm somewhat upset the new monster gets called Mind Flayer instead of Thessalhydra.
    They had such a perfect set-up for it at the end of season 1, and it even looked like a hydra at first glance. Oh well...

Great series. Got hooked since the first episode.
    The music is simply amazing. If someone told me it was composed/played by John Carpenter I would've believed it.
    I'm a fool for horror and 80s nostalgia so Stranger Things really hits that sweet spot for me.
    [Deleted User]
  • themazingnessthemazingness Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 702
    edited November 2017
    I'll admit, I wasn't really sold on it being a mind flayer. The comparison was more of a theory than established fact since it only enslaved Will, and that seemed more parasitic than psionic. It reminded me of Venom except it didn't give Will any cool physical prowess.

The biggest thing that stands out to me is each character is a different character class and alignment. It works easiest with the psionicists (Eight and Eleven), and with Sheriff Hopper. But even the kids refer to themselves as a party, which is more about their quest against the Upside Down than it is about their gaming. Especially in season 1, it's like you have three main parties: the kids, the teens, and the adults (with exceptions and overlap).
    Post edited by themazingness on
    Dev6[Deleted User]
  • FardragonFardragon Member Posts: 4,511
    edited November 2017
    I think the reason the Duffer Bros went with the mind flayer was it was the most "lovecraftian" monster in the book. Nice to see the original artwork, I hope the artist (Shephard I think) got royalties.

Demogorgon was selected on the basis of being the most powerful monster in the 1st edition monster manual, and something of an in-joke, also referenced in Watcher's Keep.

Yes, Stranger Things does seem to have raised the profile of the game. Evidence: Walked into my local bookshop day before yesterday to see the D&D core rulebooks prominently displayed. A couple of days after Stranger Things 2 hit? I don't think a coincidence.

And this thread probably belongs in off topic, since Baldur's Gate did not exist in 1984.
    Post edited by Fardragon on
    Dev6
  • UnderstandMouseMagicUnderstandMouseMagic Member Posts: 2,147
    @Fardragon

I considered putting this in "Off Topic" but as my only experience of D&D is BG (as explained) it seems to me to be very related to BG. That's my pathway.
    Feel free to ignore the thread if it offends you.

@Dev6

What's a "Thessalhydra"?

Agree it's a great series, and IMO season 2 was even better, so all good.

@themazingness

So which characters do you see as which class?

I disagree that the "RL" quest is not about their gaming. It seems to me to be where the children get their inspiration and what holds them together.
    edited November 2017
    @UnderstandMouseMagic

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thessalmonster

This is a Thessalhydra. :)
    I don't know much about it lore-wise since I've never actually played PnP D&D.

I expected it to be the monster in season 2, because it's mentioned at the very end of season 1 when the kids are playing D&D (much like the Demogorgon is mentioned at the start of the season, and then they end up naming the actual monster as Demogorgon).
  • Abby_ZeroAbby_Zero Member Posts: 68
    edited November 2017
    Dev6 said:

@UnderstandMouseMagic

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thessalmonster

This is a Thessalhydra. :)
    I don't know much about it lore-wise since I've never actually played PnP D&D.

I expected it to be the monster in season 2, because it's mentioned at the very end of season 1 when the kids are playing D&D (much like the Demogorgon is mentioned at the start of the season, and then they end up naming the actual monster as Demogorgon).

There’s no time like the present to start playing pencil and paper.
    You get to fidget with awesome polyhedral dice too B)
    Ps I immediately loved the show for those campaigning D&D kids
    Pps I wish I could get my hands on the a$$hole who invented autocorrect lol
    Fardragon
    @Abby_Zero I actually have a couple friends that would like to try out PnP for the first time too, but unfortunately we live a bit far from each other so it probably won't happen anytime soon. :(
    Abby_Zero

@Fardragon

@themazingness

I disagree that the "RL" quest is not about their gaming. It seems to me to be where the children get their inspiration and what holds them together.

Actually, we agree on that last point. I just communicated that poorly.

For the classes you have to stretch your imagination much like you have to stretch your imagination to see the monsters as demogorgon or mind flayer. So some are going to see the classes differently. I'm just going to give a few examples because this could become a wall of text, plus I think it is more fun to come up with your own than to be told :D.

Eight and eleven are types of psionicists, though you could argue that Eight is an illusionist (I'd just say she's a psionic illusionist).

The sheriff is a fighter/ranger. Ranger because of the guns and investigation (modernized), fighter because he likes to punch (maybe not a Baldur's Gate thing, but in DDO I'd make Kensei fighters with martial arts focus so they could punch).

Will gets to be wizard by default. That is how he draws himself, plus in season 2 whether he likes it or not he has the knowledge of arcana.

Jonathan is a cavalier because he's bad with ranged but good at melee. Plus he seems to be immune to fear so a paladin kit makes sense to me.
    Let's not forget that Max is a Zoomer.
    Mathsorcerer[Deleted User]
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    Okay I feel like I've missed out on something. What IS this?
    ThacoBell said:

Stranger Things is a Netflix original series.
    ThacoBell
  • CahirCahir Member, Moderator, Translator (NDA) Posts: 2,819

ThacoBell said:

Stranger Things is a Netflix original series.
    And a great one, I might add!
    FardragonthemazingnessDev6
    One hates to pick nits in something so good, but since they are playing first edition, they should be talking about Magic Users, not wizards and mages.

Also, no kits in first edition. The was a Cavalier class in Unearthed Arcana, but it focused on mounted combat, so closest to zoomer. :smiley: That wasn't published until 1985 though, so it may feature in season 3.
    Mathsorcerer
    ThacoBell said:

You have.
    Watch it, watch it now.

Set in the eighties, they play D&D.
    Seriously, what else do you need to know?

Apart from the fact it has Winona Rider being awesome, a good story, believable characters, none of the snide cynicism that's so prevalent everywhere nowadays.

ThacoBell
    You forgot to mention the Goonies, Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom, It and Star Wars.
    Dev6smeagolheart
  • MathsorcererMathsorcerer Member Posts: 3,037
    So far, there are only three glaring omissions from the show, all of them computer-related:

1) no one has a Commodore 64 computer at home
    2) no references to Tron (which, like Stranger Things, features a character who travels into an alternate dimension/reality)
    3) no references to WarGames

Perhaps this is simply because none of the central characters, except for Bob in Season 2, are tech-type people (beyond their love of the A/V Club, which Bob actually founded). If anyone jumps onto the computer bandwagon in a big way it will probably be Lucas.
    [Deleted User]
  • Abby_ZeroAbby_Zero Member Posts: 68

@Fardragon

@themazingness

Actually, we agree on that last point. I just communicated that poorly.

For the classes you have to stretch your imagination much like you have to stretch your imagination to see the monsters as demogorgon or mind flayer. So some are going to see the classes differently. I'm just going to give a few examples because this could become a wall of text, plus I think it is more fun to come up with your own than to be told :D.

Eight and eleven are types of psionicists, though you could argue that Eight is an illusionist (I'd just say she's a psionic illusionist).

The sheriff is a fighter/ranger. Ranger because of the guns and investigation (modernized), fighter because he likes to punch (maybe not a Baldur's Gate thing, but in DDO I'd make Kensei fighters with martial arts focus so they could punch).

Will gets to be wizard by default. That is how he draws himself, plus in season 2 whether he likes it or not he has the knowledge of arcana.

Jonathan is a cavalier because he's bad with ranged but good at melee. Plus he seems to be immune to fear so a paladin kit makes sense to me.
    I totally think Steve is the cavalier, he’s even a stuck up snob at first like the cavalier on the D&D cartoon show.
    I thought Jonathan was a bard or a cleric.
    Abby_Zero said:

I totally think Steve is the cavalier, he’s even a stuck up snob at first like the cavalier on the D&D cartoon show.
    I thought Jonathan was a bard or a cleric.

Actually, that crossed my mind too since Steve is protective as well. I don't see bard for Jonathan personally, but cleric makes total sense.
    UnderstandMouseMagic
  • smeagolheartsmeagolheart Member Posts: 7,963
    edited November 2017
    Just wanna say I really loved Season 1, was slightly disappointed in S2. S1 was great and had a clear plot you could follow from point A to point B what people were doing and where they were going.

- Call to action: Find the missing McGuffin kid
    - Meet 11
    - Discover sinister plots
    etc

That's the kind of simple plot that you can explain to your friends in a minute or less.

S2 seems to muddle around too much for my liking. Motivations seem less clear. Why are people doing the things they are doing? What are they trying to do?
    SPOILER

- I guess they're trying to save the town. Not exciting. Not room for lots of personal growth
    - The new bully guy just kind of does nothing, doesn't he? And Max, doesn't do much does she? Wasted potential there and wasted new characters.
    - Nobody from the main cast dies, just the guest star
    - That wacky side episode with Jane
    - More of the same monsters
    - Sinister government guys again, but these ones aren't so bad, so that's a cool change I guess? But it is less interesting to watch.

I'd have rather seen a new adventure or at least a new aspect of the upside down or something. There's more there right? Like more than just those demodogs. There could be.

I watched it and it was nice seeing the characters again, but I can't say I'd rewatch it again like I would S1.
    [Deleted User]
    edited November 2017
    It's inevitably somewhat selective. There is no mention/pastiche of Star Trek for example (Wrath of Khan 1982, Search for Spock 1984) (and Bob might have been expected to be a fan of the original series).

Also, remember that for the most part the characters are just trying to get on with their lives - they aren't actually adventurers on a quest.

As a side-note, the mobile game is very good for something that is completely free.
    Fardragon said:

Also, remember that for the most part the characters are just trying to get on with their lives - they aren't actually adventurers on a quest.

True, although I think that's what makes it good. I often prefer stories to be about people fixing a problem out of their control rather than being assigned an adventure or mission "should you choose to accept it."
    Fardragon said:

It's inevitably somewhat selective. There is no mention/pastiche of Star Trek for example (Wrath of Khan 1982, Search for Spock 1984) (and Bob might have been expected to be a fan of the original series).

As a side-note, the mobile game is very good for something that is completely free.

But was Star Trek mainstream in the 80's?
    Or rather, did ST ever mesh with everything else?

I saw both those films at the cinema but they felt "seperate".
    Does Back to the Future reference ST for instance?
    80's was dominated by SW and others, ST seemed rather old fashioned.
  • smeagolheartsmeagolheart Member Posts: 7,963
    edited November 2017

Fardragon said:

But was Star Trek mainstream in the 80's?
    Or rather, did ST ever mesh with everything else?

I saw both those films at the cinema but they felt "seperate".
    Does Back to the Future reference ST for instance?
    80's was dominated by SW and others, ST seemed rather old fashioned.
    TNG came out in 1987 and Star Trek became cool again for a while into the 90s through their films
    Star Trek was probably a bit "underground" compared to Star Wars at the time, but I agree that Bob is probably the kind of guy that would've enjoyed it.

As for season 1 being better than season 2, I agree, but that's not to say that S2 is bad or weak. S1 was better because it was something new. S2 feels like a continuation and doesn't really bring much of anything new to the table, so it feels a bit inferior but I think that's to be expected. It's very very rare for a sequel to be better than the original (Terminator 2 comes to mind). I enjoyed it and am looking forward to S3.
    Dev6 said:

Star Trek was probably a bit "underground" compared to Star Wars at the time, but I agree that Bob is probably the kind of guy that would've enjoyed it.

As for season 1 being better than season 2, I agree, but that's not to say that S2 is bad or weak. S1 was better because it was something new. S2 feels like a continuation and doesn't really bring much of anything new to the table, so it feels a bit inferior but I think that's to be expected. It's very very rare for a sequel to be better than the original (Terminator 2 comes to mind). I enjoyed it and am looking forward to S3.

More like it was considered a bit lame.

If you grew up watching the original ST (which I love BTW) with your Mum and Dad on the telly, it didn't seem very cool. More Dr. Who than SW.

I saw the original ST film at my local cinema when it came out (can't remember it's name, the one with "Vega"). Me, my sisters and my Mum and Dad were the only people in the cinema.

I actually enjoyed S2 more than S1 of Stranger Things. I thought the characters were better developed and the writing was more assured, more confident.
    The only weak point for me was,

The relationship between Max and her brother, it seemed to be suggesting that Max was part of something supernatural "we had to leave because of you, you mustn't make friends ect.". But then it took an unfortunate turn with the suggestion of parental abuse from the step father. Which rather messes up any ongoing storyline of the brother being a thoroughly nasty piece of work. Plus he was brilliant in the scene with Mike's mum, now that was hilarious.
    edited November 2017
    Wrath of Khannnnnnnnnnn (82) was very successful, and got the ball rolling for TNG. The previous film (79) hadn't done well because it was boring.

But I just cited Star Trek movies as another example of 80s pop culture which, like Tron, hadn't been referenced in Stranger Things. Probably because they didn't feel thematically appropriate.

The big movie of 85, which would coincide with season 3, was Back to the Future. But I would rather they didn't introduce time travel.

(NB, I was 16 in 1984.)
    Post edited by Fardragon on
    Mathsorcerer
  • MathsorcererMathsorcerer Member Posts: 3,037
    It wouldn't necessarily have to be time travel, only "travel via special mechanical means". Perhaps after all the research they had been doing the government figured out how to open gates whenever they want to. Other possible 1985 movies for inspiration could include Fright Night (vampires next door) or Real Genius (intelligent people invent something amazing and the government coopts it for a weapon).
    Actually, having given it some thought, the obvious way to "do" BttF would be a 1950s flashback episode.