Skip to content

IWD2 EE

MrSextonMrSexton Member Posts: 396
I read somewhere that this *might* happen. Will there på 2e rules or 3e rules?
/J

Comments

• DoubledimasDoubledimas Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 1,286
    It might only happen if the source code is found, which as far as we know is not the case.
  • MrSextonMrSexton Member Posts: 396
    Saw something about that. How the f*ck do you misplace the source code for an entire game??? :/
    /J
  • Dev6Dev6 Member Posts: 719
    MrSexton said:

Saw something about that. How the f*ck do you misplace the source code for an entire game??? :/
    /J

It's actually much easier than you think, since it's an old game and the company no longer exists.
    It's a shame really. :( I watched the NWN broadcast yesterday and asked them a couple times if they had news about the IWD2 source code but they didn't answer. Whether they didn't actually see the questions or if they ignored them I cannot say.
  • RedrakeRedrake Member Posts: 426
    MrSexton said:

/J

Simple. BIS and Interplay went bankrupt. When a company goes into insolvency all of it employees leave, all of its assets are then sold, including old computers, computer components and alike.

When that happens a source-code found maybe on some HDD might be thrown to the bin or recycled or wiped out.

Some of the source-codes for the games were kept by Interplay's Master of Disaster, the architect of its financial colapse, Herve Caen. Over time he would try to revive Interplay kept alive only in name by selling the legal rights for various franchises. This happened with Fallout who was bought by Bethesda. Obsidian also bought several franchises and some source-codes.

I have no idea if IWD2 was ever among the list kept by Herve Caen. Over time I paid close attention to any news on Interplay's insolvency case (I am an insolvency lawyer in real life), but the IE games were never mentioned.
  • tbone1tbone1 Member Posts: 1,985
    MrSexton said:

/J

Apparently you weren’t a programmer during Y2K. That was a bit of a brown trouser job.
  • WesboiWesboi Member Posts: 403
    MrSexton said:

/J

Guess you've kept every file you've ever created in your life time. I've lost countless usb sticks and a couple of TB hard drives.
  • BelleSorciereBelleSorciere Member Posts: 2,108
    I've kept most files I've ever created and I have no problem understanding stuff gets lost. It's unfortunate and I wish the source code were available but that is sadly not the world we live in.