Skip to content

Breathing some new life into PW's

Just wanted to say thank you from the bottom of our hearts, all of us from Avlis and other persistent worlds who have been limping along for the better part of a decade now and staying alive with a core group.

If there's anything I would personally hope to see from the EE, it would be finding ways to bring this game back to the masses to inspire new players. Just the existence of the EE should go a long way towards that. Very grateful.

Best,
--Orl
JuliusBorisovBelgarathMTHGorgondeltagoFlashburntbone1clansunstarronaldoSorenKenjisuperfly2000ChreelisterCablefishwilshaderammurlolien

Comments

• KarmaKarma Member Posts: 7
    Us folks in La La Land have been working on a revamp of our server and this comes at a very opportunistic time.
    JuliusBorisovtbone1clansunstar
  • nivniv Member, Moderator, Developer Posts: 410
    The beast says meow, hear me roar.

Really good to see Avlis around here!
    JuliusBorisovSorenclansunstarlolien
  • OrleronOrleron Member Posts: 5
    We haven't gone anywhere, just hanging out in shadows, and looking forward to this opportunity.
    clansunstar
  • SorenSoren Member, Developer Posts: 48
    Oh yeah, for the record - Zarathustra217 from Ravenloft POTM here. So glad to see the rest of you here too! Let's make the NWN community great again!
    clansunstar
  • nlyhnlyh Member Posts: 18
    Even though I host a NWN2 server, this is a very positive move for the community. Imagine if Beamdog can get past the limitations of being tied to single thread.
    clansunstarsuperfly2000

We're here to listen and see how we can help make the game better in all forms. Persistent Worlds are a core part of the experience.

I saw a comment from you about incorporating features of NWNX, which was encouraging. When the Avlis Team first created NWNX, we knew it would revolutionize the game, but I think we'd be even more happy if the necessity for a separate plugin like the extender became obsolete. Always keep in mind that NWNX is a way to get data from inside the game to outside, and vice versa.... it's not just a database. There are scads of other plugins for it like VaultSTER, for example, which we still use every day.
    Gorgonclansunstar
  • EbonstarEbonstar Member Posts: 152
    Arelith is here as well
    superfly2000RandomPerson
  • EspadaUngidaEspadaUngida Member Posts: 3
    From de Spanish (ESPAÑOLA) Community of NWN -with hundreds of active players - we are looking forward for the successful outcome of this project. We believe NWN's time it's not over, with many hours of enjoyment still to come. Good luck!
    Flashburnromasaru
  • AKMattAKMatt Member Posts: 8
    I played for years on the EfU (currently Escape from Uncertainty) PW, and it was the best online gaming experience I’ve had. Bringing new blood to the game is the single best thing I can imagine this enhanced edition doing, as I imagine every server will find new players checking them out and eventually finding the right fit. Thank you, and also thanks to everyone who is still keeping an NWN PW server running all these years later!
    FlashburnclansunstarSoren
  • GlorwingerGlorwinger Member Posts: 41
    Glorwing - A persistent world that is still online - will be re-launched with this new version. We still have dedicated Creative, DM, and Build teams and will begin our planning now.

We would love to have some input or at least be able to log a wishlist from our past experience and current needs.
    wilshade
  • DacarloDacarlo Member Posts: 1
    The Three Towns persistent world is looking forward to a potential conversion for the EE edition.

Is it likely EE will support NWNx?
    Chreelister
  • NytelockNytelock Member Posts: 23
    "Chakotay: [on seeing the hundreds of stasis pods of the Vaadwaur] Dragon's teeth.

Captain Kathryn Janeway: "Dragon's teeth"?

Chakotay: An old Greek myth. After a dragon was killed in a war, its teeth were spread out over the battlefield. They took root, and warriors sprung from the ground, to continue the fighting."
  • tjohn104tjohn104 Member Posts: 10
    City of Arabel awaits new adventurers into its halls and dungeons!
    MordaithSoren
  • MordaithMordaith Member Posts: 2
    tjohn104 said:

As a former player and DM at City of Arabel, I whole heartily agree. Was thinking of getting back into it, and lo' the EE has lit a fire under me.
    tjohn104DesiiAnowor
  • tjohn104tjohn104 Member Posts: 10
    Mordaith said:

tjohn104 said:

As a former player and DM at City of Arabel, I whole heartily agree. Was thinking of getting back into it, and lo' the EE has lit a fire under me.
    Oh? I DM there presently. We'd love to see you swing by on our IRC channel. Still same old #CoA at the darkmyst server on mibbit/iterationsofchatroomservers.
  • SabregirlSabregirl Member Posts: 2
    Hi, I'm a DM on an action persistent world that has been around for quite some time, called Higher Ground. It's heavily modified with quite a bit of custom code, custom spells, engine hacks and the like. Levels from 1-80.

Our coders (Acaos and Funkyswerve) are wanting more information on the changes involved in this new version, for example, will it be network compatible with normal 1.69 servers? They also have a set of engine bugs they would love to have fixed in this new edition and thus are wondering if there is someone in particular they could chat with to find out more. Please send a PM and I can make arrangements.

Forums are here.

Wiki Here.

-S
    superfly2000
  • BelowTheBeltBelowTheBelt Member Posts: 9
    edited November 2017
    Arenthyor here as well. This is very exciting and I'm hopeful about this.

How will players with 'original' NWN (either legacy players or those who purchase it from GoG) interact with 'enhanced' players? Can they both play on the same PW, but access it differently? Or, will builders have to make a decision about which version to support?
    I don't know the answer to that but would point out that historically when Bioware would update to new versions, the PW's that updated to the new version would no longer be usable by anyone with an outdated copy. I imagine it will be the same.
    scriverNighthawk4Cablefish
  • RinehardtRinehardt Member Posts: 7
    The World of Iniquity is still alive and kicking! No website currently, but the server can be found on NWNList.

I must admit when I first heard the NWN:EE announcement, I saw it as a mere graphical/ease of use update. Update it for Win10 and maybe improve the graphics a bit. I got really excited when I heard there were plans to create a new master server and add a number of new features for module builders and PW admins.

A number of friends and I have been waiting for a game to come along that would have features similar to NWN--a game with the same great multiplayer and world building tools. I never thought that game would be NWN itself!
    Soren
  • highv_priesthighv_priest Member Posts: 50
    Hi there! highv priest here. The sole owner and operator of DeX and BadLands, which at this time appear to be the only PvP servers still operational in this largely role playing populated game.

I look forward to what is being offered here. Maybe this will finally be the thing that will convince my players to give CEP a shot in the form of a new game.

I also have some requests I'd like fulfilled as they are core components of my current BadLands server and it would be a devastating blow to have them disabled due to memory address changes.
  • nivniv Member, Moderator, Developer Posts: 410
    @highv_priest nwnx will be out soon and you won't have to hunt for memory addresses, unless you are doing arcane stuff. That said, if you have features that are awesome, please post them as requests and we'll consider doing them in the game itself.
  • Nighthawk4Nighthawk4 Member Posts: 4
    Excited by the prospects this offers. I have been a DM on The World of Avlis since 2003. Looking forward to many more years there.

Come and join us for some great RP.
    aarionnGorgon
  • Nighthawk4Nighthawk4 Member Posts: 4
    Orleron said:

I don't know the answer to that but would point out that historically when Bioware would update to new versions, the PW's that updated to the new version would no longer be usable by anyone with an outdated copy. I imagine it will be the same.

Unfortunately, I suspect this will be the case - unless the new system is seen as having the same version number. Most likely the servers will have to be updated and all Players will require this new version.

That may be a problem for those Players who drop in at Avlis now and again for old time's sake.

Of course, there may be some Players for whom even $20 is a problem.
    Orlerontbone1
  • melonranchermelonrancher Member Posts: 5
    Yes, thank you Beamdog! I can't express how excited I am for this game to be given a renewed spotlight. It is my sincerest hope that the online multiplayer scene becomes as populated and fleshed out as it was when I sank countless hours into NWN, from 2003-09 or so.
    aarionn
  • EbonstarEbonstar Member Posts: 152
    Arelith.com is running strong for all your RP needs.
  • superfly2000superfly2000 Member Posts: 76
    Tipping my hat from the newly re-started Genesis Nordock PW server. This is just what we needed I think. Both for the game and for the server :-)
    http://genesisnwn.weebly.com/
  • highv_priesthighv_priest Member Posts: 50
    niv said:

@highv_priest nwnx will be out soon and you won't have to hunt for memory addresses, unless you are doing arcane stuff. That said, if you have features that are awesome, please post them as requests and we'll consider doing them in the game itself.

I have some homebrew extensions largely used to softcode many hardcoded things(which I'm fine redoing as they were easy to do), but mostly it's the standard stuff. I posted in the requests section which things were exceptionally important to my server(would literally break classes, bosses, and more), the remainder I could survive without.
  • zunathzunath Member Posts: 92
    If you're looking for something a little different, Cyberpunk Zombie Survival might be up your alley.

Forums (Haks + IP): http://czs.boards.net/thread/2/connection-info-hakpaks
    Discord: https://discord.gg/Mt25sk8

We eagerly await NWN:EE and all of the NWNX plugins to be migrated.