Skip to content

NWN EE Head Starter: CD KEY not allowed to multiplayer

Hi guys.

I just downloaded Head Starter for NwN: EE (not premium) and wanted to try some things.
One of them was Multiplayer and I got the following message:

"Error MS0020. You do not have a CD key that you can use in multiplayer.

You should ask customer support at the digital store where you purchased the game for information on how to get your multiplayer-enabled CD key."

So... What I have to do now?

For now im trying to build my module on NwN: EE and check the compatibility. I wanted to host and try to check if everything is ok. Of course I will face lot of troubles but its another kind of betatesting, right?

Comments

• ShaidenShaiden Member Posts: 181
    Hi there hda_nwn,

Is this the account you are currently using in the Beamdog Client?

If it is not, could you please private message me the contents of your post & the account name you're using for the Beamdog client?

Thanks!
    edited November 2017
    This issue has been resolved over Private message while talking to hda_nwn.
  • IndyWendieGoIndyWendieGo Member Posts: 62
    @Shaiden I'm also having the same issue. My accounts are both the same account name.
    Hey there IndyWendieGo

Could you try it now, and let us know how it goes?
  • IndyWendieGoIndyWendieGo Member Posts: 62
    @Shaiden You are a godsend. <3 Works!
    Glad to hear it, I hope you have fun. :)
  • dovestyledovestyle Member Posts: 2
    edited December 2017
    @Shaiden Hi there! Might I throw my hat in for the same request? Also the same name on both accounts. Cheers!
    @dovestyle

Howdy!

Could you file a bug in with our customer support?

https://beamdog.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/requests/new

Normally I'd also suggest a Redmine bug (Game / design bugs), but I suspect this is the exact same issue, and they'd be the fastest to be able to resolve it.

Let me know when you've filed it, and I'll get in touch with them to see if it's the same issue.

Thanks!
  • TexNexTexNex Member Posts: 2
    edited December 2017
    When will we be able to import keys into Steam or is that a few months down the road as the game is still TBD in the store?
    Scratch that, found the answer in one of the other forums, FAQ I believe. Long & short is "when its ready".
  • dovestyledovestyle Member Posts: 2
    edited December 2017
    Thanks a bunch @Shaiden! Just sent in the request. ID #28187
  • nobody2003snobody2003s Member Posts: 2
    edited December 2017
    Hello @Shaiden . I have the same problem.
    I open a ticket ID #28223 16 hours ago

Also i use the same name on both accounts.
  • nobody2003snobody2003s Member Posts: 2
    edited December 2017
    Closing my ticket, ¿Really?... It´s the same issue...
    Again... I'm also having the same issue. My accounts are both the same account name.

"nobody2003s
    20 hours ago
    Hello, I pre-purchase NWN:EE and i want to try multiplayer. I got the error:

You should ask customer support at the digital store where you purchased the game for information on how to get your multiplayer-enabled CD key."

Username: nobody2003s
    Email: xxxxxxx@xxxxx.com
    ¿Can u guys help me?

---------------------------------------------------------
    Beamdog Support
    1 hour ago
    Hello,

Thanks for contacting Beamdog support. My name is Charles, and I will be assisting you.

We appreciate you bringing this to our attention and I am sorry you are having issues, in order to better assist you, please follow the steps here to escalate your issue:

https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/49845/how-to-report-bugs

Thank you and have a great day!
    -Charles"
    Howdy there @dovestyle and @nobody2003s

They're looking into it now, I'll let you know when I hear something.
    edited December 2017
    @dovestyle & @nobody2003s

Very quick question for you. Have you run the game through the Beamdog client at least once?

EDIT: Ah, and the bug you filed closing was a mis-communication with them on my part, I'll be looking into your circumstances. :)
    Post edited by Shaiden on
  • UrazzinUrazzin Member Posts: 2
    I also have this issue with multiplayer and have never been able to launch the game from the Beamdog client. I can only launch the game from the nwnmain.exe. Ticket #28276
    Hey there @Urazzin

Has your issue been resolved?

What sorts of errors are you seeing when you attempt to run the game from the Beamdog client?
  • UrazzinUrazzin Member Posts: 2
    Hi,
    Yes, it was resolved through the support site and everything runs fine now. Thanks
  • ZeroZero Member Posts: 1
    edited January 2018
    Im having the same issue here. Logged in with the same character name twice and have had code MS0020 since. Please help! ID #28976
    Post edited by Zero on
    Hey there Zero!

So very quickly,

1) Did you scan through the thread above, and attempt of the work-arounds determined?
    2) Was there a specific day or time that your key stopped working?
    3) Are you logging into the same character, but on multiple machines?
    4) What sort of multiplayer game are you trying to join, and whenabouts do you see the error?
    5) Have you filed a support ticket as per above? Depending on what the issue is, they may be able to resolve the issue faster than I can.

Thanks!
  • MayakorMayakor Member Posts: 5
    Had the exact same problem as the people above, and was not given any help from the customer service , ticket #29772. Please help!
    If your CD key is being rejected, one of the things you can do is to go into your install directory, and delete your CDkey.ini (or move a copy out first, just in case).

Then next time you boot up BDC/Steam --> Run NWN --> Click the multiplayer button Your cd key should be regenerated with the value that's in your account.

I ran into this issue with someone else earlier, and it was an issue with using the current path to "upgrading" the standard edition to a digital deluxe edition. So the lingering key was from the refunded game, which caused problems.
    That did not help:( I tried re-installing it as well, but nothing.
    @Mayakor

Ok, so it likely isn't a key issue.

What sorts of feedback are you getting from the game?
    Is it crashing?
    Are you getting any specific error messages?
    Are .dmp or .log files being created?
    Is it crashing on particular actions? Or seemingly randomly?

Another thing you might check is if you've run the game and gone into multiplayer at least once from either the Beamdog Client, or Steam.

The reason being that you have to work through that system at least once to do your authentication and pull down your key. After that you can run straight form the .exe.

The above message appears every time I try to click multiplayer in the main menu. The game works ok apart from that, and it does not crash. No files are being created.
    And you've run it from the Beamdog client or Steam at least once & gone into the multiplayer menus?
    Steam, yes, and yes. I tried the Beamdog-client as well, but it doesnt let me install the game, for some reason(the installing-process just stops/doesnt move forward). I could also mention that my friend bought the same game and did the exact same things I did, and his multiplayer works fine.
    Ok, seems to work now, I can enter the multiplayer-part...I had to manually put in the game key in the CDKey.ini-file. Thanks for help!
  • AncientGrendelAncientGrendel Member Posts: 11
    Can you tell me where the CDKey.ini file should be on the Linux client? And, is it, "CDKey.ini", or, "cdkey.ini"? (Linux is case-sensitive and I don't know how you wrote your code...)

Does anything other than the CD Key that is shown on my account here need to be in there?

No, I have not run the Beamdog Client on this machine. The only way I can run the game on this machine is to copy the files in Beamdog Library from another machine to this one. It runs with no problems. I just get the same error as the other people were getting about a missing CD Key.

Again, the game itself runs with no problems. I just need to know where to put the CD Key so I can play online.

Thanks.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,723
    @AncientGrendel Have heard from our developers.

It's "cdkey.ini" (lower case) and it goes in the Home/.local/share/Neverwinter Nights folder by default (this can be changed in command line, but still needs to be w/in the home directory). This folder is hidden by default, to access it open a window to Home directory and hit ctrl+h.
  • AncientGrendelAncientGrendel Member Posts: 11
    Yes, it was in "~/.local/share/Neverwinter Nights" but... It had a different CD Key than the one I find in my "Game Keys" tab on my account.

It's pretty strange overall because I copied the Beamdog Library directory straight from my wife's machine to mine but didn't know about the files in "~/.local/share/Neverwinter Nights" so I didn't copy those. So where did the "cdkey.ini" file come from? Weird.

Also, strangely, my wife has a copy of NWN:EE, but she is on an earlier version than I am. we both have a 00785 dir, but I have a 00829 dir, also. My 00785 dir has only two files in it: decrypt.dll and README.txt. She just DL'd hers today and I updated my version yesterday.

I haven't looked to see if there are any differences in the files in the two.