Skip to content

Suggestions Thread: Structural (file formats, references, "hardcodedness", configuration)

Comments

• KymusKymus Member Posts: 17
    Balanor said:

Please make NWNX and associated plugins available for Windows Servers as soon as possible. Not all servers that rely on NWNX run on Linux....

Seconded.

I'm a native linux user myself, but my server's admins aren't and one of the challenges to implementing more NWNX plugins has been transferring the server to linux and the staff becoming more familiar with it. As much as I love seeing other people use and become familiar with linux, it shouldn't be forced and people shouldn't have to learn it just to be able to use NWNX for more custom content.
  • werelynxwerelynx Member Posts: 5
    edited November 2017
    1)
    I would like an option to have z-axis in game.
    Example of what I mean:
    Bridge tileset that can be walked on and underneath. Nowadays it is hardcoded to only have one "level" of height that is walkable, so you either set the bridge to be walkable on or under, never both.

2)
    Override folder could use "subfolders" and/or override manager. Currently everything needs to be dumped together or made into patch haks (patch hak automatic compilator could be a solution as well). Manager could look for override conflicts (like the one in DAO)
    tfoxEldrickProont
  • Dark_AnsemDark_Ansem Member Posts: 992
    - Unlock the feats, especially metamagic, for modding: stuff like the Arcane Scholar of Candlekeep would not be possible in NWN1
    - allow more than 3 prestige classes
    - fix issues with attributes bigger than 100
    - allow for actual workarounds and proper rules for "non-existent scores" (see Constitution for Undead)
    - proper template possibility, improved from the PrC
    - better AI
    - allow for HotU advanced inventory management for all campaigns
    Proont[Deleted User]
  • AcaosAcaos Member Posts: 13
    Not sure if these have been mentioned already:
    - The ability to add more fired weapon base items (even if they have to use the existing ammo slots, that would still be fine).
    - The ability to add more thrown weapon base items.
    - I think (but don't recall for certain) that it's difficult or not possible to add additional shield base item types to the game (they don't get held or animated properly). If that's the case, it would be nice to be able to add more shield base items.
    - More customizeability of elemental/etc arrow projectiles would be nice (perhaps use the Item Visual Effect property on either the bow or ammunition to select how its arrows look, or add a new property).
    Proont
  • EldrickEldrick Member Posts: 12
    Quote · Insightful Agree Like · Share on Google+ Share on TwitterShare on Facebook
    werelynxwerelynx Posts: 3
    November 25 edited November 25
    1)
    I would like an option to have z-axis in game.
    Example of what I mean:
    Bridge tileset that can be walked on and underneath. Nowadays it is hardcoded to only have one "level" of height that is walkable, so you either set the bridge to be walkable on or under, never both.
    I really like this idea, especially if jumping, climbing, and falling is added.
    Proont
  • FidelkovenFidelkoven Member Posts: 3
    edited November 2017
    I hope this is the right category.
    First of all i am very happy, that this game gets some love again - it so deserves it. I don‘t remember how often I have bought this game, but i will buy it once more.

I think we must seperate the single from the multiplayer game. The single player is for people who want nostalgically relive the old stories and so that does not need many enhancements.
    But the multiplayer part is where many servers enhanced the vanilla game over the years so that it literally became a 2.0-Version.

So i would love to see enhancements that make the multiplayer game better and more convenient so that the community can game on for another 15 years. Things like:

* larger areas and more players per server
    * better integration of message boards (for example in a seperate window like in all modern games)
    * maybe modern guild, settlement management
    * server wide map system, not only the local area you are
    * modern player housing and player owned placeables
    * more convenient crafting system
    * server-only hak-pack download like in nwn2 (i know it can be annoying but it is more convenient and the site shouldnt be as large as in nwn?)

Im sure there is alot more, mostly getting the mmo-experience more into the modern day. I think that in oposite to Baldurs Gate, Beamdog should not focus on making new modules/stories but on enhancing the multiplayer experience*. This game lives on because of the persistant worlds: So lets enhance it!

*and advertising that, i might add. Since the RP-flair in the NWN-PWs is one of the best in any mmo-rpg game, they should stress that.
    Post edited by Fidelkoven on
  • ValoValo Member Posts: 4
    edited November 2017
    This may or may not fall under "structural: hardcodedness" but... I love the NWN UI. The radial menu is great, responsive and very fast to utilize the vast number of spells, feats and emotes a character can have.

I'd ask that additional hotbars be accessible, perhaps a small window at the bottom left of the screen you can customize, expand and have additional "tabs" for it containing spells, items, macros, combat feats, etc. Basically all the functionality of the default 3 hotbars only without a hotkey associated with it.

It would be very useful, both for DM's who need to have access to a wide number of widgets and macros, and to players on servers with a greater emphasis on trinkets and potions (such as Escape from Underdark), as well as any higher level server where characters are likely able to fill up the 3 hotbars several times over with the number of items and abilities they have.
  • symmetricsymmetric Member Posts: 57
    Support for armors with different AC-bonuses/ Dex Modifiers, e.g.. having armors with AC 8 & DexMod 1 and a second one with AC 8 & DexMod 2. The armor.da defines armors but there may only ever be one type of armor with a particular AC-bonus. The parts_chest.2da has a AC-Bonus column which technically should reference it, but I guess it's a little more complicated.
    ProontJarrakul
  • VataraVatara Member Posts: 9
    Can we have an update that increases the size of text in game please?

As to questions...

a) Are they taking the race/Prc options from NWNs 2 and adding them here?
    b) Any new PrC options?
    c) Are they adding more customization, like heads, tattoos, different armor designs and the likes?
  • BalanorBalanor Member Posts: 176
    edited November 2017
    Another suggestion I'd like to throw out is to allow a PC's magically broadcast floating name above his/her head to be turned off to provide the character a bit of anonymity. If possible, it would also be good to hide the name if someone right-clicks on a PC and examines him/her, as well.

I think most RP servers would appreciate such a feature. Or anyone on any server doing dirty deeds who doesn't want to get caught because their name is always advertised above their head, no matter how good their disguise. ;)
    ProontMelkior
  • MalclaveMalclave Member Posts: 47
    Balanor said:

Another suggestion I'd like to throw out is to allow a PC's magically broadcast floating name above his/her head to be turned off to provide the character a bit of anonymity. If possible, it would also be good to hide the name if someone right-clicks on a PC and examines him/her, as well.

I think most RP servers would appreciate such a feature. Or anyone on any server doing dirty deeds who doesn't want to get caught because their name is always advertised above their head, no matter how good their disguise. ;)

Rather than hide the name, I'd rather see the option to display an alias. That way, a character could still be easily identified during play but distinct from his "real" identity.
    BalanorProontMelkior
    edited November 2017
    That would work too. I guess I was just trying to think of it from a 'simplicity' standpoint. While it would be great to allow the SetName scripting function to work on PCs, there are a number of legacy systems that use the "PC Player Name+PC Name" combo as the unique identifier for any PC for storing information (like a number of bleeding systems or reputation systems on the Vault). While using that combination is not really the best way to uniquely identify a PC, if PCs could change their name at will, it would break those already setup plug-and-play systems.

But so long as the GetName function in NWNEE would also be modified to either have a flag to return a PC's "true" name, or simply always return a PCs true name, then it I agree it would be really nice to see the ability for SetName to work on PCs so module/PW builders could setup their own systems that could allow PCs to set an alias for themselves.
  • meaglynmeaglyn Member Posts: 146
    I'd like to see a module setting for the low ammo warning threshold.

I use stacks of 20 and you get a warning as soon as you fire an arrow.
    Symphony
  • NearEtherealNearEthereal Member Posts: 13
    I haven't fully read through this so forgive me if it was already discussed:
    How about implimenting the features of the Gnomish Log Rotater as standard?
    Vanilla NWN overwrote the single log file whenever you closed the game then reopened it if you didnt remember to manually change the name or install the Gnomish Log Rotator app AND remember to have it running to do it for you.
    It would be great if upon closing the client, the log would get its name changed to the server name and time stamp like the GLR did (for example: PoTMLOG_06-26-2014 for when I played on POTM that day)

Thanks for your consideration.
    AnonySimonSpeedy_Z
  • T0R0T0R0 Member Posts: 86
    Hey All, good to see old and new faces on these new forums.
    It's probably been mentioned but I'd love to see the edge 2da expanded upon and/or the ability to place tiles (variety) on the outside edge areas.
    ShadowMshadguy
  • Taro94Taro94 Member Posts: 125
    edited November 2017
    My idea for a toolset feature would be allowing builders to use a custom static png (or tga?) image as a an area map instead of relying on the tile-based one.
    This would allow builders to use screenshots of areas from above as maps when, for example, a custom tileset does not support fully minimap (and there are some great tilesets on the Vault which dont, and empty tiles on a minimap look ugly).
    Zwerkules
  • AncarionAncarion Member Posts: 155
    Taro94 said:

My idea for a toolset feature would be allowing builders to use a custom static png (or tga?) image as a an area map instead of relying on the tile-based one.

A very good suggestion, and it would also mean that placeables in an area would appear on the map. Ideally, I'd like to see a separate map camera that could display a real time map, like many other games employ.

• T0R0T0R0 Member Posts: 86
    Has anything been mentioned about unlocking the camera ?
  • EldrickEldrick Member Posts: 12
    Unlocking the camera would be very good.
  • ProontProont Member Posts: 141
    I'd like more Override folders or subfolders and an Ini file to control which Mod uses which. Such as a D20 Modern Override folder or subfolder and a setting in the Ini to set d20 Modern Mods to use that Override.

As is I'd have to swap the Override in and out depending on the type of Mod I wanted to play.
    Melkior
  • ShadowMShadowM Member Posts: 573
    Proont said:

I'd like more Override folders or subfolders and an Ini file to control which Mod uses which. Such as a D20 Modern Override folder or subfolder and a setting in the Ini to set d20 Modern Mods to use that Override.

As is I'd have to swap the Override in and out depending on the type of Mod I wanted to play.

There a program that does a profile of overrides that let you swap them easily. Dam I cannot remember the name. I try and find it and link it later.
    Proont
  • VasculioVasculio Member Posts: 469
    Is it a possibility to update the character/creature/environment models while maintaining the old textures.
  • AcaosAcaos Member Posts: 13
    edited December 2017
    Please raise the hard-coded icon limit in the client to 254, so servers using the NWNX `EffectIcon()` can show additional icons to players without the need for client modifications.

Clarification:
    There's a 2da named `effecticons.2da`. You can define additional effect icons in it in a hak, but the client is hard-coded to limit the number of accessed rows in the EffectIcon implementation, so unless you modify the 1.69 client you can't actually add new effect icons using NWNX on the server.
    Post edited by Acaos on
    Melkior
  • Taro94Taro94 Member Posts: 125
    Another idea I have (in addition to allowing builders to use static PNG/TGA minimaps for their areas instead of tileset-generated one), which I think is very important, is increasing the rendering distance.

The harware got better, there's no reason for the everpresent fog to obscure the view.
    As I did in the scripting thread, I think I've listed a number of these in other locations, but to make sure that I have my the most important requests/suggestions provided that I've thought of (so far), I'm posting them here. Thanks!
    1. Increase the 16K Resource Limit for modules and haks
    2. Include improved NWNTX compiler in toolset, or update the compiler so it can handle (very?) large scripts
    3. Give an option to hide the playerlist, or portions of the playerlist, (or remove it entirely) for multiplayer games/PWs
    4. Allow the ability to resize placeables
    5. Create a configurable option to turn off a PC's floating name. Or allow the SetName function to work on PCs, and then modify the GetName function to return a PC's original name by default, and/or include an optional flag to return their alias (to ensure that legacy systems using Player Name + PC Name combo as a unique identifier for a PC continue to function)
    Dark_AnsemShadowMMelkior
  • DJ_RaptorDJ_Raptor Member Posts: 16
    Could you add Game Statistics?

Would be nice to go to the menu and check game stats, like:

- time played
    - total kill number
    - most common enemy killed
    - toughest enemy killed (probably by lvl)
    - most used weapons/spells
    - favourite companion (based on time spend together)
    - gold gain from trading/loot/quests
    - number of critical successes/failures
    - and others

It would be fun to have this stats for current character, and all games.
    ProontFlashburnAnonySimonSpeedy_Z
  • TheCapuletTheCapulet Member Posts: 43
    Soren said:

I'm not sure I understand these categories right, so apologies if this is the wrong topic:

- The ability to make visual effects only show to a certain target (not necessarily the center of the effect - you could for example implement detect evil by applying a glow effect on evil creatures that only the caster sees.)
    -The ability to set shader effects per area and even dynamically by scripting functions (perhaps by a visual effect with the same features as the above suggestion.)

Second this. I can duplicate areas by script. Now all I need is this, And I'll finally be able to work around or outright accomplish everything I've ever really wanted for a Wheel of Time PW.
    AnonySimon
  • SorenSoren Member, Developer Posts: 48
    edited December 2017
    Make it possible to have certain VFX no longer ignore fog, perhaps by a setting in visualeffects. 2da

This would greatly benefit when making VFX wearables.

And more shader stuff (already fed to the gpu gremlin):

- Enable LOD on the various framebuffers (called by Texture2DLod.)
    - Make it possible to apply the full screen shader effects after the rendering of VFX.
    - Multipass rendering of a single shader.
  • ProlericProleric Member Posts: 1,269
    Option to disable the official movies.

Or, stop the updater from reinstalling them if they exist within a sub-folder of data/mov (a common player dodge to relieve the tedium).

This should not disable custom movies in the documents/movies folder, of course.
  • Dragonfolk2000Dragonfolk2000 Member Posts: 377
    1) Bug fixes for all campaigns and premium modules.
    2) Make creating and implementing henchmen easier.
    3) Make it easier for importing in new assets in general actually.

I'm excited for what you guys are doing!
    Proont