Skip to content

[BGEE/BG1] Towns fully explored

BoasterBoaster Member Posts: 622
edited September 2012 in Archive (Feature Requests)
Like BG2, could we just have cities and towns fully explored?

Comments

• KithrixxKithrixx Member Posts: 215
    It'd certainly be nice.
  • 11302101130210 Member Posts: 381
    Yeah, I agree. Dang it was annoying not having icons and the towns explored. The fog of war really bogged down the experience because it's hard to maneuver between the houses, and get all that icky fog outta the way.
  • RomulanPaladinRomulanPaladin Member Posts: 188
    Well, there's another option. As long as AI scripting commands don't radically change, there's an "Explore()" function. That means that we can make an AI script that explores an area once we hit a defined hotkey or even automatically when entering a "city" area.
  • _Q__Q_ Member Posts: 48
    I definitely would like towns explored and markers added to the maps like BG2. This is just one of those parts of the game where the convenience factor is more important to me than the immersion factor.
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    To me, having the maps fully explored helps to demonstrate the size and breadth of a town or city. For Baldur's Gate, it makes little sense that you'd be standing at the gate and not be able to see what's at the end of the street in front of you.

That said, I do think that we still need some "soft" fog of war. No spotting NPCs from across the map, for instance; you should be able to see structures, but not people.

I also submit that the map markers shouldn't appear for a specific location until you have traveled to that location and/or received directions to that location from an NPC.
  • SenashSenash Member Posts: 405

Perhaps Adding a feature: A purchable Map in every city: This can remove the fog of war. If not purchased, the Fog stays

I really love this idea! Makes perfect sense and I don't think it requires too much work. Maos could be purchased at taverns, you buy them and you know where to go, where are buildings/walls blocking your way and where to find shops or certain areas of interest.

• darrenkuodarrenkuo Member Posts: 366

Perhaps Adding a feature: A purchable Map in every city: This can remove the fog of war. If not purchased, the Fog stays

Agree ! Otherwise, we had lots of gold can't be consumed in a later part of game.

• SirK8SirK8 Member Posts: 527
    I found the fact that the city was already explored in BGII extremely frustrating. I like the purchasable map idea, or even a button that "shows map" - at least some option to have it explored or not, with default, not explored.
    To me, this is kind of like the Tab question.

In BG1, there are only a few places that I would want to reveal the map: Baldur's Gate itself, Beregost, and maybe Nashkel. Oh, and Candlekeep (obviously).

Some of the settlements like Gullykin only take up a small portion of the map, and it wouldn't make sense to show the entire map just for one small settlement.

Even Nashkel is more like a single road that cuts through the wilderness and farmland.

But I like it when a town's map is revealed to me. it gives me a greater sense that "Wow, this place is big" rather than "Wow, I have no idea what I'm looking at."
  • TanthalasTanthalas Member Posts: 6,738
    @Aosaw

I think its ok to have Nashkel already explored since there are no enemies running around on the map.
  • RomulanPaladinRomulanPaladin Member Posts: 188
    Aosaw said:

Some of the settlements like Gullykin only take up a small portion of the map, and it wouldn't make sense to show the entire map just for one small settlement.

I believe that the fog is recorded as a simple numerical flag at each sector. It'd likely be easy enough to flag the "civilized" portions as explored while leaving the rest unexplored. If I remember this stuff correctly, it might be an incredibly simple mod to make.
  • bigdogchrisbigdogchris Member Posts: 1,336
    BGT starts with Candlekeep fully explored, which I'm OK with, but nothing other than that as you have never left the city.
  • BoasterBoaster Member Posts: 622
    Candlekeep, Beregost, Nashkel, and Baldur's Gate. I consider these cities. These are the ones that should be explored fully. Not Beregost temple, not high hedge, not the area below Beregost, not the halfling village.

Ulgoth's Beard should be revealed, perhaps.
  • SenashSenash Member Posts: 405
    Aosaw said:

To me, this is kind of like the Tab question.

In BG1, there are only a few places that I would want to reveal the map: Baldur's Gate itself, Beregost, and maybe Nashkel. Oh, and Candlekeep (obviously).

Oh yeah, never understood why I have to explore a place where I have been living my whole life o.O
  • bigdogchrisbigdogchris Member Posts: 1,336
    edited September 2012
    Boaster said:

... Beregost, Nashkel, and Baldur's Gate. I consider these cities. These are the ones that should be explored fully. Not Beregost temple, not high hedge, not the area below Beregost, not the halfling village.

Ulgoth's Beard should be revealed, perhaps.

Why should places that you've never been before be uncovered?

It's more a question of allowing you to see to a reasonable distance. I can stand at one end of a street and see all the way to the other end of it. I can see the tops of buildings in the background, I can see people walking around (though I might not know who they are).

Showing the entirety of a city's map would represent a person's ability to see everything in front of their own eyes, rather than things fading to black after 60 feet.
  • HertzHertz Member Posts: 109
    edited September 2012
    I love the way the BG2 cities are already visible. It never made sense that I had to explore the place I've lived all my life, or that I can't see the freaking circus tent or the city walls from 100 feet away.

If it could be made an option ("automatically explore cities") that'd be awesome. Or, when you get directions from the various citizens (such as the one in Beregost) it puts them on your map.
  • BytebrainBytebrain Member Posts: 602
    I haven't ever been able to see a complete city just by standing in it...
    You must have some kind of superhuman vision...
    :-)

Personally, I really like the way they do it in BG1, and even if I can see a certain distance in real life, they have to set a limit somewhere.
    It would ruin the exploration aspect of the game for me, which is one of the things I most loved by in BG1...
    To be honest, I'll enjoy it either way. I think showing the full map for cities makes more sense because it allows me to get a better sense of scope. But if I have to "clear the black", so to speak, I'll probably enjoy that just as much.
  • ryu1ryu1 Member Posts: 76
    Quite weird that people enjoy exploring unknown lands but when it comes to towns/cities, they want it all explored and want to know where everything is such as the nearest merchant etc. I say "Sunny or not, tis' nice to enjoy the out-of-doors."
  • TanthalasTanthalas Member Posts: 6,738
    The reason why I prefer cities to already be fully discovered is because I hate the black spots on the map and its harder to clear them in cities.
  • BoasterBoaster Member Posts: 622
    Tanthalas said:

The reason why I prefer cities to already be fully discovered is because I hate the black spots on the map and its harder to clear them in cities.

Same reason here. It's just a pain to have to small-click my way to the edge of a map, just to get to the next EXPLORABLE area.
    Tanthalas said:

Good point Tanthalas. Although usually for me, any remaining black spots tend to hide plain stone walls which don't do much for me ^_^
    woohoo! New comment badge, +5 points to Gryffindor!
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    edited September 2012
    I also hate black spots. Just do an ExploreArea() before leaving for all those annoying impossible to reach black spots :)
  • Azchar111Azchar111 Member Posts: 27
    Creating a scroll that casts 'Clairvoyance' (but usable by anyone) would work as a 'map of the city'. Make only a limited number purchasable and you'd effectively limit the use to only cities.