Skip to content

NWN series confessions

What is your confession?

Mine are:
I like NWN1 OC enough to buy this as soon as possible...
changing existing content yourself and then playing it yourself is immersion bummer
NWN1 HOTU is great, but OC is still decent enough
I have tried some premium modules and some community made mods, but I prefer my games vanilla
I expect extra expansion or premium module from Beamdog...

Comments

• KymusKymus Member Posts: 17
    I've purchased the game at least 4 times:

NWN
    NWN Collector's edition
    NWN Diamond
    NWN Diamond GoG (lost my old CD key)

I still have and use to this day the NWN mousepad (best mousepad I've ever used), and I still have the NWN long-sleeved shirt that I think I got from the collector's edition?

One Christmas, years ago, I got a couple of new games and after about 30 minutes I was ignoring my new games to go play NWN (Cormyr and the Dalelands)

I only played through the OC once and went straight to the multiplayer servers afterwards.

I've played the single-player mods a little bit but have never bothered much with them.
  • IndyWendieGoIndyWendieGo Member Posts: 62
    I have NwN Diamond... x5. When it was for free on GOG a couple of years back, I nabbed as many keys as I could trying to get my friends to play. Some of them couldn't because of hardware issues and I showed them this. Now they're playing.

NwN both got me involved in the RP and modding communities and to this day I have no fonder memories than with NwN. No game even came close.
  • Dark_AnsemDark_Ansem Member Posts: 992
    I got this game physical in the UK (gold edition), GOG, and now this.
    I don't regret this.
  • kcwisekcwise Member Posts: 2,287
    I played all the official campaigns multiple times, including the OC.

Before I bought the original I played the demo version of the game (which included just the early training area) with every class at least once.

I bought multiple copies of the game which allowed me to run one computer in server mode, one using the DM tools, and one as a regular player (I had more computers back then). In this way I could either deal with glitches or bugs in modules or beef up encounters if my friends weren't enjoying themselves during multiplayer sessions.
  • batoorbatoor Member Posts: 676
    edited November 2017
    I only played through Darkness over Daggerford ''recently'' after abandoning many playthroughs(I did play MoW much earlier though) and now I consider it a must play.

Ossian studios makes some of the best sidequest content imo.

Aside from that...Well I'm usually not very kind to the sleeping man. There's some kind of sadistic glee I get from messing with him, maybe I've got some issues^^
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    I don't like Deekin
  • WarChiefZekeWarChiefZeke Member Posts: 2,651
    I played through the OC multiple times and enjoyed it. I think its under rated actually.
  • batoorbatoor Member Posts: 676
    edited November 2017
    deltago said:

I don't like Deekin

Gaider actually talked about this in a podcast recently. That the characters with a specific gimmick end up being fan favorites, like HK-47, Deekin and Minsc. It's about how they turned out to be far more popular than most of the other characters, despite that not always being the intent.

I mean I guess it's fine, but it gets a little ridiculous when Minsc & Boo end up getting so many cameo appearances in other D&D stories.

Edit: https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/66791/listen-to-the-latest-interview-with-david-gaider#latest
    Post edited by batoor on
  • megamike15megamike15 Member Posts: 2,666
    mind posting this podcast for those that may not have heard it?
  • IllustairIllustair Member Posts: 877
    Same here, I loved the OC although many didn't like it. I confess that I secretly loved Aribeth (don't tell that to my gf). Anyway, it was just a puppy love of sort. Is it shameful to admit that I had zoomed in countless times to see her character (and see her crude 3D face and body in all their glory)?
  • kcwisekcwise Member Posts: 2,287
    "Gorion would have none of this! 'Tis shameful!" :)
  • BelleSorciereBelleSorciere Member Posts: 2,108
    I've only purchased NWN twice so far (NWN, SoU, and HotU separately when released and NWN Diamond on GOG). As soon as I get paid, I'll purchase EE as well.

I've played a lot of NWN but I have to admit I haven't finished nearly all the modules I've started.
  • tbone1tbone1 Member Posts: 1,985
    I purchased four cooi s of NWN, SoU, and HotU so my wife, sons, and I could have Family Game Night once a week. As no one else wanted to be a cleric, I did, calling him Rev. Billy Monday.
  • BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653

I played through the OC multiple times and enjoyed it. I think its under rated actually.

^This. I love the NWN OC. Maybe we need a NWN Unpopular Opinions thread. :)
  • Dark_AnsemDark_Ansem Member Posts: 992
    But the OC likely needs to be updated with HotU/SoU mechanics.
  • BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653

But the OC likely needs to be updated with HotU/SoU mechanics.

^This would be nice. I'm not sure if Beamdog plans to spend any time on the OC, though, because there aren't that many people who like it. But if you're listening, Beamdog, count me in as a vote to backport HotU functionality to the OC. I don't know how big a deal that would be, exactly.
  • MalclaveMalclave Member Posts: 47
    My confession: I never actually finished the OC, despite having the game since shortly after release.

I'd play the game off and on, but then usually around the time I got around Chapter 3 my computer would die and I'd have to replace it. Eventually, I'd be going through my desk, find the CDs, and reinstall. I'd look around the PWs for a bit, and go back to playing whatever MMO I was in. At some point, I'd start up the OC again, and more or less when I got to Chapter 3, my computer would die.

Lather, rinse, repeat.

I've restarted the OC in the EE Head Start, so I guess I should make sure my saved games are backed up. And start saving for a new PC.
  • JidokwonJidokwon Member Posts: 395
    edited November 2017
    @Malclave: Just an idea, but you might want to get that new computer before you reach Chapter Three this time.

Edit- Meh. I missed that last sentence.
  • ManveruManveru Member Posts: 75
    My confession: While playing NWN for many years, I've never played on a persistent world, but always played coop with different groups of friends
  • IndyWendieGoIndyWendieGo Member Posts: 62
    Another confession; I've kept a changelog of my local vault server module ever since it was created. Still updating it to this very day and would probably keep updating it even without an NWN:EE.
  • FlashburnFlashburn Member Posts: 1,847
    I don't like Roleplaying PWs. I'm a powergamer through and through, and they don't like that.
  • TarotRedhandTarotRedhand Member Posts: 1,481
    edited November 2017
    Played since 2004 (I'm a cheapskate, waited till it was cheap enough). Got gold edition + HotU at that time. Few years later imported Diamond from USA (not available in UK at that time). Later still bought gog version as backup. Enjoyed OC, not impressed with SoU. Made stuff. Still haven't mastered 3D modelling yet. That's about it.

My bigger confession is I wasn't impressed with the games everyone seems to rave about (BG series, IWD series, Torment). In fact I actually preferred the BG games on a mates playstation. Cest la vie.

TR
  • saramakossaramakos Member Posts: 19
    edited November 2017
    A : I love the OC, and replay it every 2 or so years
    B : I am also a serial purchaser - bought the game and expansions the day they came out, bought an NWN Diamond boxed copy, bought Diamond on GOG and now bought it on Beamdog.
    C : I never use CEP or PrC, I favour vanilla classes over any other.
    D : I think the Bard is the best class.
    E : I prefer my RPGs solo or at most co-op with 1 person.
    I have to admit: I don't use the PRC. I do not enjoy needing to make characters with an external editor.
  • DrHappyAngryDrHappyAngry Member Posts: 1,577
    I still have the original CDs in a binder somewhere.
    edited November 2017
    I have those too! And save files going back to 2003. I would install on new computers and then copy the backups over, but I didn't realize I had stuff going that far back.
  • JimbobslimbobJimbobslimbob Member Posts: 206
    My confession: being obsessed with my character build being as good as it can be for my needs/wants, so I continuously re-build until I am happy with it.
  • fkirenicusfkirenicus Member Posts: 331
    I've started over 20 module projects in the Aurora toolset, finished 2 (well, finished 1 and more or less finished another :-P).
    I've started more than 50 in the Electron toolset, finished 0.