Skip to content

Struggling on the OC :(

So right now i'm level 6 and have 3 of the plague cures parts and am up to the docks and idk I seem to get close to one shot at times and sharwyn and my brown bear companion and my dire badger summon all get routinely wiped out by enemies. Thing is i've died and respawned at least 20 times already somtimes taking 5 wipes to slowly whittle some fights down. Bloated Dire Spider for example requires at least one wipe to kill.

I don't have the gold to drink 10 healing potion a fight dammit -_-

Comments

• BelleSorciereBelleSorciere Member Posts: 2,108
    What's your class/build?
  • Peteed1985Peteed1985 Member Posts: 63

What's your class/build?

Druid(5)/Shifter(1)
  • kcwisekcwise Member Posts: 2,287
    The Swordsman's Belt, Brawler's Belt, and Archer's Belt each gives 5/- resistance
    respectively to slashing, bludgeoning, and piercing (you can have them in a quick slot and switch depending on the damage type you are facing). Their Greater incarnations offer 20/- resistance against those forms. Slicing off that much damage from attacks can help out.

You might also consider making use of one of the more melee oriented companions for some of the combats. You can switch back and forth between companions with no draw back.
    What are your normal tactics? It seems like you're having a significantly harder time than you should at this point.
    Fardragon
    kcwise said:

The Swordsman's Belt, Brawler's Belt, and Archer's Belt each gives 5/- resistance
    respectively to slashing, bludgeoning, and piercing (you can have them in a quick slot and switch depending on the damage type you are facing). Their Greater incarnations offer 20/- resistance against those forms. Slicing off that much damage from attacks can help out.

You might also consider making use of one of the more melee oriented companions for some of the combats. You can switch back and forth between companions with no draw back.

Umm the druid companion can't be changed other than when leveling up to a new druid level from what I can tell and i've already got my last druid level. From now it's meant to be Shifter and Dwarven Defender.

As for the other pet it's summon creature I and that seems to only be a dire badger with no option for anything else.

What are your normal tactics? It seems like you're having a significantly harder time than you should at this point.

Well the character doesn't use spells really, it's low wisdom. It's made for shifter forms and the dragon forms I got at shifter 1 seem awesome in aoe with their breaths but sucky at single target dmg and also defence atm. Since I can't control my summons or henchman I normally just fire breath non stop for combat right now.
    edited November 2017
    Do you buff with Bear's Endurance and Cat's Grace? I'm not sure if Barkskin would be useful for you in dragon forms, though.

Do you buff with Bear's Endurance and Cat's Grace? I'm not sure if Barkskin would be useful for you in dragon forms, though.

Those aren't spells I have :( are you talking from buff potions? If so not really because I don't have many of them.

Fighting Desther right now and so far i've wiped twice so lost 700 xp and alot of gold too and used 15 lesser healing potions and like 10 moderate ones as well as a couple of each of those buff flasks and i've barely damaged him.
    Well 3 wipes at a loss of 350xp a wipe later I beat Desther so I got 300 xp and all it cost me was 1050 xp and like 1000g of potions and lost gold from respawns yay
  • fkirenicusfkirenicus Member Posts: 331
    What difficulty are you playing at? If D&D Hard Core Rules, try lowering them to Normal (or its equivalent). Also, I suggest that if you are a Druid, you might be better off with a wizard/sorcerer (to fight with ranged magic attacks) or pure fighter/tank (to fight close quarters melee) henchman, than Sharwyn (who doesn't do either very well in my opinion).

What difficulty are you playing at? If D&D Hard Core Rules, try lowering them to Normal (or its equivalent). Also, I suggest that if you are a Druid, you might be better off with a wizard/sorcerer (to fight with ranged magic attacks) or pure fighter/tank (to fight close quarters melee) henchman, than Sharwyn (who doesn't do either very well in my opinion).

It's normal xD tbh idk the henchmen well i've only used Tomi or that half orc with the double bladed axe before.
    Try Boddyknock or Grimgnaw, then - though Daelan should do.
    I almost always play a Wizard, and for me it's either Grimgnaw or Daelan for henchman. I never use Linu or Sharwyn or Tomi. The reason for this is that since we can't control the level up process or henchman inventory for the OC companions, we are stuck with the packages and equipment for the henchmen as set by the developers. That again means that the "neither-fighter-nor-mage"-classes tend to be somewhat unuseful (again, in my opinion :-)).
    GreenWarlock

Try Boddyknock or Grimgnaw, then - though Daelan should do.
    I almost always play a Wizard, and for me it's either Grimgnaw or Daelan for henchman. I never use Linu or Sharwyn or Tomi. The reason for this is that since we can't control the level up process or henchman inventory for the OC companions, we are stuck with the packages and equipment for the henchmen as set by the developers. That again means that the "neither-fighter-nor-mage"-classes tend to be somewhat unuseful (again, in my opinion :-)).

Ahh good to know ty :)
    edited November 2017

Those aren't spells I have :( are you talking from buff potions? If so not really because I don't have many of them.

Fighting Desther right now and so far i've wiped twice so lost 700 xp and alot of gold too and used 15 lesser healing potions and like 10 moderate ones as well as a couple of each of those buff flasks and i've barely damaged him.
    As a fifth level druid you have access to third level spells, and those are second level druid spells. Bear's Endurance will give you more constitution and thus more hit points, and Cat's Grace will give you more dex and thus make you harder to hit. Bull's Strength is also good if you're doing a lot of melee combat, but at fifth level you only get a base of two second level spells at a time.

As a fifth level druid you have access to third level spells, and those are second level druid spells. Bear's Endurance will give you more constitution and thus more hit points, and Cat's Grace will give you more dex and thus make you harder to hit. Bull's Strength is also good if you're doing a lot of melee combat, but at fifth level you only get a base of two second level spells at a time.
    I'm level 5 druid and only have access to first level spells and cantrips.

Okay so you only have a wisdom of 11, which locks you out of 2nd and higher level spells. This may have a lot to do with why you're having such a hard time.
    fkirenicus

Okay so you only have a wisdom of 11, which locks you out of 2nd and higher level spells. This may have a lot to do with why you're having such a hard time.
    It's a build focused on shifter form melee where you stay in forms 100% of the time never casting so if you never use spells I assume that's why they didn't bother with the casting stat

It's a build focused on shifter form melee where you stay in forms 100% of the time never casting so if you never use spells I assume that's why they didn't bother with the casting stat
    Do you have a link to this build? Also, what kind of equipment do you have?
    I mean I haven't seen a lot of shifter builds but I don't recall seeing any that completely skip spellcasting.

Do you have a link to this build? Also, what kind of equipment do you have?
    They sent it to me via discord chat not a build guide. It's a build that uses a scythe and risen lord form later on but it doesn't start using a scythe until level 12 and none of my forms yet use my gear.

Right now i'm using a scimitar +1 and a large shield +1 so I guess maybe that's my problem. Once I hit next level and can use a form that uses my weapon and maybe swap to a str based weapon since I have STR rather than dex it might get alot better
    edited November 2017
    Can you paste the build here? I mean it does sound like a build that's hard early on and gets better, and that may be the issue.

Can you paste the build here?

Race Dwarf

ATTRIBUTES
    Starting
    STR: 14
    DEX: 8
    CON: 20
    WIS: 11
    INT: 13
    CHA: 6

01: Druid (1): Alertness
    02: Druid (2)
    03: Druid (3): Toughness
    04: Druid (4): CON+1, (CON=21)
    05: Druid (5)
    06: Shifter (1): Blind Fight
    07: Shifter (2)
    08: Shifter (3): DEX+1, (DEX=15)
    09: Shifter (4): Dodge
    10: Shifter (5)
    11: Shifter (6)
    12: DD (1): DEX+1, Weapon Proficiency Exotic, (DEX=16)
    13: DD (2)
    14: DD (3)
    15: DD (4): Weapon Focus: Scythe
    16: DD (5): DEX+1, (DEX=17)
    17: DD (6)
    18: DD (7): Improved Critical: Scythe
    19: DD (8)
    20: DD (9): DEX+1, (DEX=18)
    21: Shifter (7): Epic Damage Reduction
    22: Shifter (8)
    23: Shifter (9)
    24: Shifter (10): DEX+1, Undead Shape, (DEX=19)
    25: DD (10)
    26: DD (11)
    27: DD (12): Epic Damage Reduction
    28: DD (13): DEX+1, (DEX=20)
    29: DD (14): Epic Damage Reduction
    30: DD (15): Epic Weapon Focus: Scythe
    31: DD (16)
    32: DD (17): DEX+1, (DEX=21)
    33: DD (18): Great Dexterity, Epic Prowess, (DEX=22)
    34: DD (19)
    35: DD (20)
    36: DD (21): DEX+1, Great Dexterity, (DEX=24)
    37: DD (22): Armor Skin
    38: DD (23)
    39: DD (24): Great Dexterity, (DEX=25)
    40: DD (25): DEX+1, (DEX=26)

so this build gets +15 DR from DD levels +9 DR from EDR3 -/20 from greater archers/swordsman belts and 50% immunity to slash/pierce weapons
    in addition to being immune to critical hits and sneak attacks
    With immunities being calculated first, that effectively doubles all other DR
    oh and +3/soak 15
    so with this build a creature (in order to deal physical damage to you) they need to hit higher than 88 damage without a crit to hurt you even a tiny bit
    and if their weapon isn't +3
    they need to hit 118 or higher without a crit to damage you
    which isn't realistically possible
    your blindspot will be bludgeoning weapons
    avoid tanking enemies with heavy flails and warhammers

slap on a few regen items and you're immortal
    My char has -/10 to all 3 physicals and -/15 to all elementals and 9 regen
    and 6 vamp regen when shifted
    4 on base weapon +2 on scythe
    14 regen if I swap crown of thorns instead of golden circlet
    +6 vamp
    20 combat regen

GWI - Red Wyrmling
    GWII - Minotaur
    GWIII - Manticore
    Humanoid - Kobold or Lizardfolk
    GWIV - Don't use they all suck
    Undead Shape - Risen Lord
    BelleSorciereBelgarathMTH
    Yeah it looks like a suffer early to be awesome later build.
    BelgarathMTH

Yeah it looks like a suffer early to be awesome later build.

Woah yeah I just leveled up and started one shotting stuff that was taking 5 fire breaths to kill in aoe groups before as a minotaur
    BelleSorciere
  • scriverscriver Member Posts: 2,072
    It seems like a build built for the Hordes of the Underdark campaign, however. I'm not sure the OC goes high enough in levels for the sweetest stuff, I can't remember in what level range you end up in at the end of it though.
    Fardragon
    Glad to hear it. :)
  • JimbobslimbobJimbobslimbob Member Posts: 206
    scriver said:

It seems like a build built for the Hordes of the Underdark campaign, however. I'm not sure the OC goes high enough in levels for the sweetest stuff, I can't remember in what level range you end up in at the end of it though.

Believe it was just under 20... maybe 15-17 or there-abouts.

SoU was about 15 (and HoTU continued on from this)
    HotU starts at around 15 (autolevelled if under) until around 25-30 (although I don't remember ever getting to 30 to be honest).
    Sadly i'm stil taking alot of dmg and dying on groups of 5 enemies especially with a boss guy in the mix lol
    If you play Shadohaunt you can start HotU a bit higher.
    Jimbobslimbob

If you play Shadohaunt you can start HotU a bit higher.

Or, if you want to know what happened between SoU and HotU, including how you got the relic (shameless self-promotion :-D):
    https://neverwintervault.org/project/nwn1/module/fk-shadow-relic
    Jimbobslimbob