Skip to content

Can't beat Chapter 5 end-battle on SCS

No matter what I try. Party is currently the canon party (charname, khalid, jaheira, minsc, dynaheir, imoen). All are level 5/6 except imoen who is 5/7 thief/mage. I have done nearly all quests I can find including Ice Island (want to leave werewolves and durlag's for chapter 7). My main strategy is to begin with Remove Magic from imoen, but it NEVER CONNECTS on the two minor-globe-of-invulnerability mages (literally never, I have tried maybe 20 times and it has never connected), and then because of this they can do what they want with impunity. My best attempts see me downing all other foes except for those two mages and Zhalimar (who always hangs out at the back out of range of my fireballs/webs/etc).

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Comments

• NeverusedNeverused Member Posts: 803
    There are three threats in this fight, if I recall: Zhalimar Cloudwulfe for his physical damage, the two backstabbers for their Mage kills, and the two mages, mostly for Chaos. As such:

Start with Mirror images on Dynaheir and Imoen, Haste preferably on the whole party, the boots of cheetah speed on Khalid, and preferably some sort of fire resistance on him. If you can spare one, a potion of magic shielding is also great on him. If not, use a Greenstone amulet charge as a final buff. Also throw on a Giant Strength potion just because there's so many in the lategame.

Upon entering the upper floor, the first rounds are crucial. I'd start with a Chaos from scroll from Imoen: Sorcerous Sundries has 20 scrolls. Rush Khalid to Cloudwulfe to get him to swap away from that terrifying bow, and have Jaheira start a Detect Invisibility immediately to try to disarm the Thief threat. A potion of Explosions or oil of burning should also be thrown near the mages to try to disrupt their spells: potions are coded as level 0(?) and aren't blocked by Globes of Invulnerability.

If Chaos affects the two mages, the fight's essentially over. If not...

From here, the thieves and Cloudwulfe should be relatively harmless, so start using elemental ammunition on the mages to continue the disruption attempts. Darts of Wounding should be particularly potent. Use healing potions on Khalid as necessary to keep him safe, and have Minsc clear up the thieves. Use your Mage spells on whoever wasn't disabled by Chaos, or even another scroll of Chaos to try to get more spellcasters out of the fight.

Or you can skip the fight entirely or subvert it by dragging them one by one to the lower floors, but that might be cheating. :tongue:
    Endaar
  • PaulaMigratePaulaMigrate Member Posts: 1,201
    edited November 2017
    dragging them one by one to the lower floors, but that might be cheating

I can't see anything *cheating* in such a tactic. The rooms are designed for that. Why should anybody just stand there helplessly (but heroic) and let the ememy play their game. There are explicit areas that you cannot leave once the fight has started (e.g. final Sarevok). In this present case, you are using a feature of the game. You still must be careful not to draw them after you all at once but just one or two at a time.
    Other thing - even with SCS you can use the difficulty slider of the options menu.
    Endaar
  • PantalionPantalion Member Posts: 2,137
    Endaar said:

No matter what I try. Party is currently the canon party (charname, khalid, jaheira, minsc, dynaheir, imoen). All are level 5/6 except imoen who is 5/7 thief/mage. I have done nearly all quests I can find including Ice Island (want to leave werewolves and durlag's for chapter 7). My main strategy is to begin with Remove Magic from imoen, but it NEVER CONNECTS on the two minor-globe-of-invulnerability mages (literally never, I have tried maybe 20 times and it has never connected), and then because of this they can do what they want with impunity. My best attempts see me downing all other foes except for those two mages and Zhalimar (who always hangs out at the back out of range of my fireballs/webs/etc).

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

http://baldursgate.wikia.com/wiki/Secret_Word
    PaulaMigrate
  • EndaarEndaar Member Posts: 19
    Thanks so much for the comments here. In the end, I just lured each enemy one by one to the previous floor and slaughtered them, until there were no mages left and then I just went back upstairs and slaughtered the 3-4 melees remaining. This is by far the toughest fight in the whole game most likely.
  • UnderstandMouseMagicUnderstandMouseMagic Member Posts: 2,147
    Endaar said:

Thanks so much for the comments here. In the end, I just lured each enemy one by one to the previous floor and slaughtered them, until there were no mages left and then I just went back upstairs and slaughtered the 3-4 melees remaining. This is by far the toughest fight in the whole game most likely.

Really isn't.

Enjoy. :D

However one thing you didn't mention were ARROWS.
    ARROWS, ARROWS, ARROWS.
    Arrows of detonation, arrows of dispelling, arrows of biting.

There's a reason BG is considered the game where having bow skills is game breaking.
    Kivan with a bow and a full stack of detonation/dispelling/biting arrows can clear that upstairs on his own.
    Loldrup